Donations to Animal Shelters

Old September 17th 09, 02:08 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

Default Donations to Animal Shelters

Yesterday I finally emptied the linen closet. I know I talked about doing
this earlier in the year but I never could actually bring myself to do it.
The Beaufort County Animal Shelter says they need donations of blankets,
towels and washcloths. I've got a whole pile of them to donate.

I'm pretty sure I'll cry when I walk in there. Their web page has so many
needy pets waiting to be adopted.

http://tinyurl.com/m4l3hc

I cannot possibly bring another cat home. Persia is an *only* cat. She
gets mad (has hissy fits) if she just sees another cat. But at least the
shelter can use these things. A side benefit is I have room for my own
sheets and blankets. LOL

Jill

Old September 17th 09, 02:34 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sharon & Smudgie

"jmcquown" wrote in message
Yesterday I finally emptied the linen closet. I know I talked about doing
this earlier in the year but I never could actually bring myself to do it.
The Beaufort County Animal Shelter says they need donations of blankets,
towels and washcloths. I've got a whole pile of them to donate.

I'm pretty sure I'll cry when I walk in there. Their web page has so many
needy pets waiting to be adopted.

http://tinyurl.com/m4l3hc

I cannot possibly bring another cat home. Persia is an *only* cat. She
gets mad (has hissy fits) if she just sees another cat. But at least the
shelter can use these things. A side benefit is I have room for my own
sheets and blankets. LOL

Jill

I have been helping out at my local shelter at weekends for about a year
now. As with most shelters, they are filled to capacity at the moment. I am
in the same situation, Smudgie would not accept another cat into the house.
I figure I'm getting the best of both worlds, I get to play with the cats
and kittens and also help to look after them until they find forever homes.
When my gran died earlier this year I took 4 bin liners of blankets etc to
the shelter. Even if you cannot adopt another cat you are helping them so
much by donating these items.

Sharon
my local shelter; http://www.animals-at-risk-shelter.org/

Old September 17th 09, 02:51 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sherry

On Sep 17, 8:08*am, "jmcquown" wrote:
Yesterday I finally emptied the linen closet. *I know I talked about doing
this earlier in the year but I never could actually bring myself to do it..
The Beaufort County Animal Shelter says they need donations of blankets,
towels and washcloths. *I've got a whole pile of them to donate.

I'm pretty sure I'll cry when I walk in there. *Their web page has so many
needy pets waiting to be adopted.

http://tinyurl.com/m4l3hc

I cannot possibly bring another cat home. *Persia is an *only* cat. *She
gets mad (has hissy fits) if she just sees another cat. *But at least the
shelter can use these things. *A side benefit is I have room for my own
sheets and blankets. LOL

Jill

That's a great thing to do. Especially with winter coming on. Usually
the
dog kennels have a concrete floor, and it must get so cold.

Sherry
Old September 17th 09, 11:25 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Takayuki

"jmcquown" wrote:
I cannot possibly bring another cat home. Persia is an *only* cat. She
gets mad (has hissy fits) if she just sees another cat. But at least the
shelter can use these things. A side benefit is I have room for my own
sheets and blankets. LOL

She might be, but that's not necessarily the case. Almost all cats
are territorial about their own homes, and there's a big difference
between a strange cat and a cat that's been accepted as family.

Dot and Buster, for example, may act like they want to tear apart a
cat they see outside, but they accept each other.
Old September 18th 09, 12:41 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

"Takayuki" wrote in message
"jmcquown" wrote:
I cannot possibly bring another cat home. Persia is an *only* cat. She
gets mad (has hissy fits) if she just sees another cat. But at least the
shelter can use these things. A side benefit is I have room for my own
sheets and blankets. LOL

She might be, but that's not necessarily the case. Almost all cats
are territorial about their own homes, and there's a big difference
between a strange cat and a cat that's been accepted as family.

Dot and Buster, for example, may act like they want to tear apart a
cat they see outside, but they accept each other.

True, although some cats are definitely "only cats". I don't think I could
handle more than one. (That's just me.)

Jill

Old September 18th 09, 11:30 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kyla =^..^=[_2_]

Wise words Gramby. Kyla
"Granby"
It is usually what "we" want than what can be done.
"jmcquown"
"Takayuki" ...
"jmcquown" :

Old September 19th 09, 12:00 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL

"Takayuki" wrote in message
"jmcquown" wrote:
I cannot possibly bring another cat home. Persia is an *only* cat. She
gets mad (has hissy fits) if she just sees another cat. But at least the
shelter can use these things. A side benefit is I have room for my own
sheets and blankets. LOL

She might be, but that's not necessarily the case. Almost all cats
are territorial about their own homes, and there's a big difference
between a strange cat and a cat that's been accepted as family.

Dot and Buster, for example, may act like they want to tear apart a
cat they see outside, but they accept each other.

I always thought Holly was an "only cat," and I really thought it would be
impossible to bring another cat into the household. She would attack and
terrorize any other cat in my vicinity. We visited my sister one time (and
I always took Holly with me during those years rather than leave her alone
for an extended period). We had to take a lot of precautions and usually
needed to keep Holly in a separate room from her cats. We kept trying to
get them together, but Holly was really in attack mode. On one occasion, I
was sitting on one side of the room and we had Holly and my sister's cats in
the room with us. I thought things were going fairly well. Then Peaches
walked by my chair, and I made the mistake of letting my hand dangle down
just to lightly stroke her back as she walked by. Holly immediately came
*roaring* across the room and attacked Peaches. It was a real act of
aggression, definitely not "playing."

Then I saw Duffy's picture on petfinder.com, learned that he was blind and
had been in the shelter for several months, and I knew they probably could
not keep him much longer because kitten season was approaching. That was a
kill shelter and they only promise to keep healthy animals for 14 days, but
they do try to keep them as long as possible. But space was going to be at
a premium once litters of kittens started to arrive.

So, I decided to bring Duffy home and see if it would be possible to bring
the two of them together. And the rest is history...it took several weeks
with careful "baby steps," but Holly is no longer an "only cat"--and I'm
sure she would not want to go back to that arrangement. Now, Holly actually
goes to the doorway to look for Duffy if I get their food out and Duffy
still hasn't meandered down the hallway to the kitchen. A couple of weeks
ago, I stepped on Duffy's paw. Duffy screamed, and I really felt dreadful.
Holly came running and gently began to touch her nose to Duffy, moving from
his neck to his back, just as if she were checking to make sure nothing was
wrong.

MaryL

Photos of Duffy and Holly: 'o'
Duffy: http://tinyurl.com/cslwf
Holly: http://tinyurl.com/9t68o

Old September 19th 09, 08:31 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

MaryL wrote:

A couple of weeks
ago, I stepped on Duffy's paw. Duffy screamed, and I really felt dreadful.
Holly came running and gently began to touch her nose to Duffy, moving from
his neck to his back, just as if she were checking to make sure nothing was
wrong.

What a sweetheart!

--
If we discovered we only had five minutes left to say all that we
wanted to say, every telephone booth would be occupied by people
Old September 20th 09, 06:36 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

Default Shelters Turning Down Donations (WAS: Donations to Animal Shelters)

"Sherry" wrote in message
On Sep 17, 8:08 am, "jmcquown" wrote:
Yesterday I finally emptied the linen closet. I know I talked about doing
this earlier in the year but I never could actually bring myself to do it.
The Beaufort County Animal Shelter says they need donations of blankets,
towels and washcloths. I've got a whole pile of them to donate.

(snipped self)
Jill

That's a great thing to do. Especially with winter coming on. Usually
the
dog kennels have a concrete floor, and it must get so cold.

Sherry

I called the shelter to find out exactly where they are located. I
mentioned to the woman who answered the phone I also have a lot of flannel
sheets. (I can't sleep on flannel sheets, they are too darn hot even with
the A/C and a fan running.) The woman told me they wouldn't take flannel
sheets! She said the dogs would rip them up too easily. What do they care?
They're FREE, aren't they?! I don't understand the mentality, turning down
donations. Who cares if the dogs rip up free sheets? I'm sure the kitties
would love them. I don't get it.

Jill