Thalia - RB

Old October 4th 09, 02:48 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Arthur Shapiro

Default Thalia - RB

I've had my dark calico / light tortoiseshell Thalia for about 5 2/3
years; they thought she was 8 - 10 when she wandered into my life. A
microchip scan at the time had come up negative.

The last three years we were fighting kidney disease and frequent
bladder infections. Most of this year she was up to three subQ fluid
treatments a week, and the weight was slowly dropping.

She got real sick this summer, and they did a full body Xray, finding a
microchip in a completely nonstandard spot (rear hip). Turned out, upon
the chip people looking up her data, that she had come from about 25
yards away in the next cul de sac! The phone number came back as
disconnected, and I decided not to visit that home because of the
potential conflict if the owners still lived there - very unlikely. I
wouldn't have given her up anyway, even if I hadn't spent many, many
thousands of dollars on her care.

8 days ago she suddenly stopped eating. I force fed her over the
weekend, and took her in Monday for an emergency appointment instead of
the usual fluid treatment. She had lost a huge amount of weight, and
spent the week in intensive care with symptoms of kidney failure. They
provided heroic treatment, which got the potassium and various other
readings down from jawdroppingly high down to very high. But on
Wednesday her redcell count dropped in half. An emergency ultrasound
yesterday revealed that one kidney had totally failed and the other was
about 80% gone. The waste had backed up and eaten away at her stomach
and intestines, causing major blood loss. She didn't appear to be in
pain, but was obviously not feeling well. It was obvious that no
medical care could save her, and yesterday we decided today would be it.

I came back from my usual morning with the bicycle club, took her
outside to enjoy the nice sunshine and warm day for an hour, and was
pleased to see that she was truly enjoying it, having not been outside
all week. Then I sadly took her to the vet. They asked if they could
delay a few minutes while several staff members drove in ON THEIR DAYS
OFF to be there with Thalia. I didn't want to be there, thanked them
sincerely for the exceptional care, and sadly drove away with the empty
carrier.

I'll miss her; what a pleasant, non-aggressive, well-behaved kitty. She
wasn't a lap cat - only once did she sit in my lap - but was always
happy to be around or to jump up on the computer desk to block the
screen and get some affection.

Art
Old October 4th 09, 03:00 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kyla =^..^=[_2_]

I'm so sorry to hear of Thalia's going to The Bridge Purrs and prayers
for your broken heart on the loss of your friend.
Kyla

"Arthur Shapiro"

Old October 4th 09, 03:16 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
moonglow minnow[_2_]

Arthur Shapiro wrote:
I've had my dark calico / light tortoiseshell Thalia for about 5 2/3
years; they thought she was 8 - 10 when she wandered into my life. A
microchip scan at the time had come up negative.

[...]
I came back from my usual morning with the bicycle club, took her
outside to enjoy the nice sunshine and warm day for an hour, and was
pleased to see that she was truly enjoying it, having not been outside
all week. Then I sadly took her to the vet. They asked if they could
delay a few minutes while several staff members drove in ON THEIR DAYS
OFF to be there with Thalia. I didn't want to be there, thanked them
sincerely for the exceptional care, and sadly drove away with the empty
carrier.

I'll miss her; what a pleasant, non-aggressive, well-behaved kitty. She
wasn't a lap cat - only once did she sit in my lap - but was always
happy to be around or to jump up on the computer desk to block the
screen and get some affection.

Purrs for a very special girlcat's journey to the Bridge, where she will
surely be bragging about your care for her. More purrs for the hearts of
those she left behind.

Maeve ^..^
--
http://moonglowminnow.wordpress.com/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/minnow/
Old October 4th 09, 03:42 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Arthur Shapiro wrote:

[...]

I'm sorry for your loss of Thalia, she sounds like a great cat. You
certainly went over and above to give her the best care possible, but
were also able to make the wise but difficult decision when it was
clear that no treatment was going to be effective anymore.

Purrs for her passing and for everyone who will miss her.

Joyce

--
Remember that not getting what you want is sometimes a wonderful
stroke of luck. -- the Dalai Lama
Old October 4th 09, 04:24 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Cheryl[_3_]

"Arthur Shapiro" wrote in message
I've had my dark calico / light tortoiseshell Thalia for about 5 2/3
years; they thought she was 8 - 10 when she wandered into my life. A
microchip scan at the time had come up negative.

I'll miss her; what a pleasant, non-aggressive, well-behaved kitty. She
wasn't a lap cat - only once did she sit in my lap - but was always happy
to be around or to jump up on the computer desk to block the screen and
get some affection.

I'm so sorry Art. You gave her wonderful autumn and winter years. Aren't
you in Hong Kong, and wasn't she one of the pair laying in the windowsill
overlooking an awesome view?

Many purrs for her safe and peaceful journey to the Rainbow Bridge. Purrs
for your broken heart.

Old October 4th 09, 04:40 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Marina

Arthur Shapiro wrote:
gentle snip

I'll miss her; what a pleasant, non-aggressive, well-behaved kitty. She
wasn't a lap cat - only once did she sit in my lap - but was always
happy to be around or to jump up on the computer desk to block the
screen and get some affection.

I'm so sorry for your loss. She sounds like the most excellent
companion. Purrs for the emptiness she left behind.

--
Marina, Miranda and Caliban.
In loving memory of Frank and Nikki.
Old October 4th 09, 05:15 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Takayuki

Arthur Shapiro wrote:
I'll miss her; what a pleasant, non-aggressive, well-behaved kitty. She
wasn't a lap cat - only once did she sit in my lap - but was always
happy to be around or to jump up on the computer desk to block the
screen and get some affection.

That's so sad! Maybe she'll have a chance to meet Banana now.

I enjoyed her story and pictures of her little torbie face at
http://members.cox.net/mybrainhurts/ThaliaStory.htm
Old October 4th 09, 05:32 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MLB[_2_]

Arthur Shapiro wrote:
[...]

"....Rise up slowly, Angel...."
It's hard to let you go.

best wishes to you and your family. This has happened too many times. MLB
Old October 4th 09, 06:41 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy[_3_]

I'm so sorry for your loss, Art!

--

Joy

Blessed are the PURR in Heart!

Old October 4th 09, 11:53 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Adrian[_2_]

Arthur Shapiro wrote:
[...]

I'm sorry, Art, my sincere condolences. I have lit a candle for Thalia.
http://www.gratefulness.org/candles/candles.cfm?l=eng&gi=Thlia
Cats leave pawprints on your heart