Cats and getting on counter and tables -- healthy???

Old December 17th 04, 12:18 AM
Phil P.

"Zythophile" wrote in message

"Phil P." wrote in message

snip

It will work only when you're around. All you'll be training your cats

do is to fear you. You'll also confuse them -because when you're not
around
jumping on the counter is ok.

Do you have to let the cats in the kitchen when you're not there?

If possession is 9/10 of the law - its more their house than mine.

I never
leave my cats unattended in the kitchen. In fact if they could come and go
from the house without going through the kitchen, they'd not be allowed in
the kichen at all. If I ever found one on the worktop, I think it'd take

20
litres of Dettol before i could even think of cooking in there.

Dettol is phenolic compound and toxic to cats. IIRC, Dettol is now labeled
as toxic to cats in the UK.

Personally, I think you're overreacting - the cats sleep in your bed,
right?

Yuk! What a horrible thought!

Then you should love this: At least 3 of my cats sleep in bed with me. One
of my cats dribbles when she purrs and kneads on my chest - sometimes I
sleep with my mouth open and her dribble lands right on my tongue or if its
a good shot - the back of my throat. I don't want to disturb her so I just
swallow it. Are you barffing! LOL!

The cats groom their coats with their tongues, right? You pet them,
right?
Do you know what else cats do with their tongues....? LOL!

Yes, and I always wash my hands after stroking them. I know that the

stress
reduction in having and stroking pets is beneficial for health and that
being exposed to the bugs that pets carry is good for the immune system,

but
a bit of basic hygiene makes me feel more relaxed.

Washing your hands after petting your cat is "a bit of basic hygiene"?
Sounds more like neurosis to me. ;- I wash my hands before I pet my
cats...

I'm with Ringo on this one. Cats (or any other animals) and kitchens don't
mix.

Knowing my cats go in the kitchen, I keep everything that is even remotely
dangerous to them inaccessable. I don't allow my cats on the counter when
I'm cooking or preparing food for *their* safety - not mine. When I was a
kid, I used to swim in Pelham Bay off City Island - you heard of Lake Huron,
this was "Lake Urine". I don't even get infections from cat bites - and
they're notorious for Pasteurella and Pasteurelloses.

BTW, I'm a farmer's son. I grew up with all sorts of animal muck,

I grew up in NYC. I wore a Yankee baseball cap so the pigeon **** wouldn't
land on my nose and run down onto my hot dogs anymore. Dodging pigeon ****
in NYC is like running through a hail storm.

but that
was strictly outside. The cats & dogs were purely outdoor (and barn)

animals
and perfectly healthy and content wth it. I let my cats indoors, but I

don't
think I'd ever be comfortable with a dog indoors; which is why i don't

have
one.

These views are entrirely personal and based on my own background and
experience, they're not intended to denigrate any other opinions.

Mine too. I was just kidding, even though it was all true.

Phil

Old December 17th 04, 05:09 AM
soft

On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 19:58:40 -0600, Cheryl
wrote:

On Thu 16 Dec 2004 03:10:34p, Zythophile wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav
):

Do you have to let the cats in the kitchen when you're not
there? I never leave my cats unattended in the kitchen. In fact
if they could come and go from the house without going through
the kitchen, they'd not be allowed in the kichen at all. If I
ever found one on the worktop, I think it'd take 20 litres of
Dettol before i could even think of cooking in there.

I work in a call center and after seeing what people do at the work
stations that are shared (24 hour shift rotates every 8 hours). like
the guy I saw picking his nose and then typing. We had a guy who lost
bowel control & he made plenty of messes.....ick.I of course clorox
wipes to clean everyting at my station.
I clean the counters & stove when cooking and from there I don't
worry.

Karryl
http://www.i-love-cats.com/meow/soft63389/index.htm
Old December 17th 04, 05:33 PM
Barb

You need to watch Oprah Winfrey and find out that about the filthiest places
are movie theater chairs, hand rails in stores, kids toys, you can go on and
on. Just wash your hands before you eat and don't put food on the kitchen
counter. ( Use plates!)

--
Barb
Of course I don't look busy,

Old December 19th 04, 04:19 AM
KellyH

"Zythophile" wrote in message

Do you have to let the cats in the kitchen when you're not there? I never
leave my cats unattended in the kitchen. In fact if they could come and go
from the house without going through the kitchen, they'd not be allowed in
the kichen at all. If I ever found one on the worktop, I think it'd take
20 litres of Dettol before i could even think of cooking in there.

My kitchen doesn't have a door, so I don't know how I would block it off
anyway. The only reason I might not let cats in the kitchen is if there was
something unsafe in there.

Personally, I think you're overreacting - the cats sleep in your bed,
right?

Yuk! What a horrible thought!

What a horrible thought??? What a wonderful thought! I love having the
cats in bed. NewCat always sleeps right above my head, purring. I can't
think of a nicer way to fall asleep. Although I do wish she would let me
have more of the pillow.

Yes, and I always wash my hands after stroking them. I know that the
stress reduction in having and stroking pets is beneficial for health and
that being exposed to the bugs that pets carry is good for the immune
system, but a bit of basic hygiene makes me feel more relaxed.

OMG, Dude! You need to chill! If I washed my hands every time I pet a cat,
I would be washing them all day.

--
-Kelly
kelly at farringtons dot net

Old December 19th 04, 10:17 PM
Barb

And too much hand washing in winter weather can dry them out, make them
crack, and leave them open to all the germs they may pick up from theater
seats, toys, hand rails etc..

--
Barb
Of course I don't look busy,