I have to say "NO"

Old October 15th 13, 11:30 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

Default I have to say "NO"

"Judith Latham" wrote in message
In article , Christina Websell
wrote:

"Joy" wrote in message
"Christina Websell" wrote in
message ...

"Joy" wrote in message news:aWF6u.72324 No.
If you feed your cats more calories than they need they will get fat
and so will a human. Simple.

That's true. However, some people, and some cats, need more
calories than others. Simple.

FGS the maths is easy, eat more calories that you need, gain weight,
eat less than you need lose weight, it's simply that easy.

The difference is that some people, and some animals NEED more
calories than others. At least, if your premise is true, that's the
case. Certainly some people, and some animals, can consume more
calories than others without gaining weight.

Joy

But most cannot if they are not burning it off in some way. It really is
that simple. Eat more calories than you need, put on weight, eat less
than you need lose weight. I've put on a bit of weight since I retired
tbh and it's up to me to take it off by by going out every day walking.
On Saturday, I walked for nearly 9 hours in Blackpool, that should have
shed some calories:-) OMG, my knees and hips at the end of that
day..but next day I am fine. I should have lost 5lbs at least.

Tweed

I am fat (no point denying it) and trying to lose weight.

At work there are a lot of stairs (three flights of steep steps) and we
are up and down them an awful lot during the day. I often get up to the
second floor (where my desk is) out of breath (needing my asthma spray)
and with aching legs. when someone asks why I don't take the lift (no way
on that, it smells from nasty things in the basement and often breaks
down) I just say to think how unfit I'd be if I didn't climb all those
stairs.

I go out every lunchtime and rush around the town shopping for 36 minutes
(long story why 36 minutes) but it's only those stairs that take it out of
me.

Does it have something to do with tenths of an hour? I used to get 42
minutes for lunch, because the company figured time in tenths of an hour.

Joy

I don't eat during the day as I'm too busy and don't think about it, it's
the comfort eating and wine drinking at night that puts my weight on. If I
ever manage to retire, I'm anticipating losing my weight as I won't need
the comfort and I'll be gardening, and decorating along with some more
leisurely pursuits and maybe even some housework.

In the meantime it's a diet and the stairs.

Judith

--
Judith Latham
Stourbridge, West Midlands. UK.

Old October 15th 13, 11:33 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"Christina Websell" wrote in message

"Bastette" wrote in message
Joy wrote:

"Christina Websell" wrote in
message

No. If you feed your cats more calories than they need they will get
fat
and so will a human.
Simple.

That's true. However, some people, and some cats, need more calories
than
others.
Simple.

Joy

Exactly. Everyone's metabolism works a little differently, and some work
very differently.

--
Joyce

Oh, just stop with the excuses. If you eat more calories than you need
you will put on weight, and if you eat less calories than you need you
will lose weight.

Oh just stop ignoring all the facts. Some people need more calories than
others, because of their metabolism. I know people who eat much more than I
do and are slim. Some of them don't get that much exercise, either. I know
others who are overweight but eat less than I do.

Your statement does not contradict this, but you keep repeating it as though
it does.

Joy

Old October 16th 13, 11:07 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"Judith Latham" wrote in message
wrote:

"Joy" wrote in message
[...]

The 36 minute lunch time came into being as follows. Ever since I've been
working (since 1973) we have had flexi time. This mean that we could start
work between 8.00am and 9.45 am, have a lunch break between 12.00 and
2.15pm which could be half and hour up to an hour and a half and then
leave between 4pm and 6.30pm. Obviously we had to fit in to ensure cover
for the office between 9.00am and 5.00pm. Then July 2012 they moved us to
a different office block and brought in Agile working. Which meant that
you could work between 7.30am and 7.30pm. Have as long a lunch as you
wanted as long as it was at least 20 minutes, you could take it whenever
you wanted and could have as many as five breaks in the day as long as you
worked one and a half hours between them. Any doctors or dentists
appointments had to come out of your own time. If you build up time you
can take it off but only up to one day a month which is as it had been
before.

As I travel into work with DH who works in the same town I've always
worked 8.00am to about 4.30. apart when cover was needed. Then in April
this year we had new managers who don't like us having agile working even
though it's a decision made by the top brass and agreed with the union. We
now have to cover the office 8.30am to 5.30pm. The managers don't like it
if you leave before 5.00pm. When this all happened and I asked to leave at
4.30pm they made it quite clear they wanted me to work 9.00 to 5.00 with a
half hour lunch. I argued the case that they weren't allowed to force that
on some staff and not others, I got the union involved and eventually they
offered me set hours of 8.00 to 4.00 with a 36 minute lunch. (We work 7
hours 24 mins a day) I jumped at it.

I did say it was a long story. I'm sure you dozed off half way through.

Judith

--
Judith Latham
Stourbridge, West Midlands. UK.

No, I didn't doze off. I found it fascinating, and somewhat amazing that
the managers could get away with going against the top brass and the union.
I'm glad you won.

Joy

Old October 17th 13, 06:49 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL[_2_]

"Christina Websell" wrote in message

"Bastette" wrote in message
Joy wrote:

"Christina Websell" wrote in
message

No. If you feed your cats more calories than they need they will get
fat
and so will a human.
Simple.

That's true. However, some people, and some cats, need more calories
than
others.
Simple.

Joy

Exactly. Everyone's metabolism works a little differently, and some work
very differently.

--
Joyce

Oh, just stop with the excuses. If you eat more calories than you need you
will put on weight, and if you eat less calories than you need you will lose
weight.

~~~~~~~
That's true, but it's also true that metabolism can affect the calories that
are used. I have a friend who is super-slim, although she *constantly* has
a variety of home baked pies, cakes, etc. It's hard for me to envision
anyone eating as much as she does, yet she never gains a pound. At the same
time, I would not want to be in her position--she does not engage in
exercise in the traditional sense, but she is literally a bundle of nerves.
It seems to me that she burns off calories in that way because she seems to
constantly under stress.

MaryL

Old October 17th 13, 07:46 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

"Bastette" wrote in message
Joy wrote:

"Christina Websell" wrote in
message

No. If you feed your cats more calories than they need they will get
fat
and so will a human.
Simple.

That's true. However, some people, and some cats, need more calories
than
others.
Simple.

Joy

Exactly. Everyone's metabolism works a little differently, and some work
very differently.

--
Joyce

Oh, just stop with the excuses. If you eat more calories than you need you
will put on weight, and if you eat less calories than you need you will lose
weight.

That sounds very judgemental. Persia got fat because I was feeding her
what was written on the bag of kibble. How the heck was I supposed to
know it was too many calories for her? She didn't come with instructions.

Then the vet had me cut it back to 1/4 cup of food and twice a day.
That's not much food, but she was still fat. Once you put on weight it
isn't that easy to lose it. It's also not easy to put a cat on a "diet"
unless you like to hear a lot of yowling.

Jill
Old October 17th 13, 07:47 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

On 10/15/2013 6:33 PM, Joy wrote:
"Christina Websell" wrote in message

"Bastette" wrote in message
Joy wrote:

"Christina Websell" wrote in
message

[...]

It's the same thing as insisting Sheba cat food contains sugar. She can
say it until the cows come home. It doesn't make it true.

Jill
Old November 4th 13, 07:29 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"jmcquown" wrote in message
On 10/15/2013 6:33 PM, Joy wrote:
"Christina Websell" wrote in message

"Bastette" wrote in message
Joy wrote:

"Christina Websell" wrote in
message

[...]

I have admitted that Sheba does not contain sugar and have apologised about
it several weeks ago, I was mistaken.

But the fact remains that if you eat more calories than you burn off you
will put on weight. How you work it out I don't know. When N came here
from Germany, 5 ft 10, 8 stone 8 vegetarian she went home fatter.