How much exercise

Old June 12th 12, 06:52 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kathy[_4_]

Default How much exercise

Thank you to everyone who answered my post about our new cat's hiding.
He only hides when he wants to sleep undisturbed now. He seems to be
adapting quite quickly.

We got him a cat stand so he can climb up high with a scratching pad on
it and sometimes use a "mouse" on a string to make him bat at it. We
only do this about 2 or 3 times a day. Without any other cats around,
he doesn't get much time actually running. I am wondering how much
exercise a 1 yr. old cat should get and how to create that in the house.

Old June 12th 12, 07:10 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

Kathy wrote in message
Thank you to everyone who answered my post about our new cat's hiding. He
only hides when he wants to sleep undisturbed now. He seems to be
adapting quite quickly.

We got him a cat stand so he can climb up high with a scratching pad on it
and sometimes use a "mouse" on a string to make him bat at it. We only do
this about 2 or 3 times a day. Without any other cats around, he doesn't
get much time actually running. I am wondering how much exercise a 1 yr.
old cat should get and how to create that in the house.

For most (but not all) cats, a laser pointer can provide lots of exercise,
if you're willing to spend the time. I used to have a couple of cats who
would run up and down the hallway chasing the red dot.

Joy

Old June 12th 12, 09:15 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Smokie Darling (Annie)

On Tuesday, June 12, 2012 12:10:07 PM UTC-6, Joy wrote:
Kathy wrote in message
Thank you to everyone who answered my post about our new cat's hiding. He
only hides when he wants to sleep undisturbed now. He seems to be
adapting quite quickly.

We got him a cat stand so he can climb up high with a scratching pad on it
and sometimes use a "mouse" on a string to make him bat at it. We only do
this about 2 or 3 times a day. Without any other cats around, he doesn't
get much time actually running. I am wondering how much exercise a 1 yr.
old cat should get and how to create that in the house.

For most (but not all) cats, a laser pointer can provide lots of exercise,
if you're willing to spend the time. I used to have a couple of cats who
would run up and down the hallway chasing the red dot.

Joy

My cats play fetch, until they are tired. That usually takes about 10 minutes. They are good kids, each one waiting their turn. I get a bigger workout, but I suppose that's to be expected, since I'm bigger than they are smile.
Old June 13th 12, 12:52 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kathy[_4_]

Hi Joy,

I got a laser that you can set to go for 15 min. at a time. Leo was
fascinated with it, but then he sat in front of the source of the light
and stared at it. That worried me.

Old June 13th 12, 01:23 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

Kathy wrote in message
Hi Joy,

I got a laser that you can set to go for 15 min. at a time. Leo was
fascinated with it, but then he sat in front of the source of the light
and stared at it. That worried me.

Hi Kathy,

Yes, that would worry me, too. I used a laser pointer to get my cats to run
up and down the hall. This was for cats I previously had. More recently,
my son-in-law gave me a laser thingy that may be like the one you have.
Pickles seemed to be afraid of it. Waffles was mildly interested until he
managed to put his paw on the red dot. When he saw that the dot was now on
the back of his paw, he lost all interest.

That's one of the fascinating things about cats - they're all different.

Joy

Old June 13th 12, 03:50 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kathy[_4_]

How do you train a cat to fetch? just throw a small ball? but what
makes them bring it back? Leo just watches it go away.

Old June 13th 12, 01:58 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jack Campin

How do you train a cat to fetch? just throw a small ball? but what
makes them bring it back? Leo just watches it go away.

My Muriel decided to train *me* to throw things for *her*. All it
too was sitting at the front door when I came home, with a 120 film
spool in her mouth and dropping it at my feet while looking up at
me with those big blue-green eyes.

Old June 13th 12, 03:16 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Smokie Darling (Annie)

On Tuesday, June 12, 2012 8:50:50 PM UTC-6, (unknown) wrote:
How do you train a cat to fetch? just throw a small ball? but what
makes them bring it back? Leo just watches it go away.

It's like Jack said. They seem to train themselves. It's a matter of finding a toy they like (usually something that rattles softly). They will chase after it, bring it back, drop it at my feet, and wait until I pick it back up (then they brace to run). With one of the boys, he loved the foil that wraps Hershey kisses, that mashed into a ball (usually 2 or 3 is the right size). Those and 'rattle' mice.
Old June 13th 12, 08:10 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

Kathy wrote:
Thank you to everyone who answered my post about our new cat's hiding.
He only hides when he wants to sleep undisturbed now. He seems to be
adapting quite quickly.

We got him a cat stand so he can climb up high with a scratching pad on
it and sometimes use a "mouse" on a string to make him bat at it. We
only do this about 2 or 3 times a day. Without any other cats around,
he doesn't get much time actually running. I am wondering how much
exercise a 1 yr. old cat should get and how to create that in the house.

Judging by my experience with several generations of cats, they
generally provide themselves with all the exercise they need. (Even my
elderly, arthritic Melisande does her share of running, climbing and
jumping.) Remember, a healthy adult cat sleeps between sixteen and
twenty hours a day!