Possible cat #5

Old July 11th 13, 12:29 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Cheryl[_3_]

Default Possible cat #5

This woman advertised to give away her Maine Coon (full blooded) on
Freecycle. I'm so in love with Maine Coon cats! Every one I've met
have the most wonderful disposition. This one is 9 years old, in good
health (as told by the woman giving him away) and good with dogs, though
she's not sure about other cats. What do I do?? It might be good for
Shamrock to have another male to take away Rhett's attention of him and
the girls get along with everyone. I'm just worried mostly about the
new cat and will he adjust, and will Shamrock adjust and will Rhett be
ok with another male?

Ahh.... I have to think this over hard. I asked for a week to think and
might bring Shamrock over to meet him. She said she just can't take
care of him as he needs. Probably the combing of the fur. He's just so
beautiful.

Here's one of the pics she sent me. I love his white nose and feet!
http://oi39.tinypic.com/k18ms1.jpg

--
CAPSLOCK–Preventing Login Since 1980.
Old July 11th 13, 12:39 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

On 7/10/2013 7:29 PM, Cheryl wrote:
[...]

What a wonderful white ruff and those feet! Oh boy.

I have no idea how Shamrock and Rhett will adapt. But you know about
the slow introduction thing... Good luck!

Jill
Old July 11th 13, 01:19 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Mishi[_2_]

On Wednesday, July 10, 2013 7:29:02 PM UTC-4, Cheryl wrote:
This woman advertised to give away her Maine Coon (full blooded) on

Freecycle. I'm so in love with Maine Coon cats!

He is beautiful! I have a couple Maine Coon mixes, and they are the most laid back cats of my crew. Bud, my big boy (about 18lbs), is the enforcer in the house. If there is a squabble, all he has to do is go where the disagreement is and it stops instantly. He doesn't say anything, just stands there.. I would get him in a heartbeat!
Old July 11th 13, 01:24 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Cheryl[_3_]

On 7/10/2013 7:39 PM, jmcquown wrote:
[...]

I can do a slow introduction. I'm already in love with him. The last
thing I want to do is make Shamrock jealous though. He is so insecure.
I can't even imagine acting like I love another cat while he's alive,
it will break his little heart. He literally acts like he's my
boyfriend and I can tell by how he acts when someone else is in the
house. He clearly "claims" me. I'm just not sure how he'll act if that
someone else is another cat.

--
CAPSLOCK–Preventing Login Since 1980.
Old July 11th 13, 01:25 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Cheryl[_3_]

On 7/10/2013 8:19 PM, Mishi wrote:

On Wednesday, July 10, 2013 7:29:02 PM UTC-4, Cheryl wrote:

This woman advertised to give away her Maine Coon (full blooded)
on Freecycle. I'm so in love with Maine Coon cats!

He is beautiful! I have a couple Maine Coon mixes, and they are the
most laid back cats of my crew. Bud, my big boy (about 18lbs), is the
enforcer in the house. If there is a squabble, all he has to do is go
where the disagreement is and it stops instantly. He doesn't say
anything, just stands there. I would get him in a heartbeat!

He sure is Patti. I have some serious thinking to do. I want Shamrock,
most of all, to accept him.

--
CAPSLOCK–Preventing Login Since 1980.
Old July 11th 13, 02:57 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL[_2_]

"Cheryl" wrote in message
eb.com...

[...]

~~~~~
Hi Cheryl,

I sent private email before I saw this message. Cats often need a slow
introduction, so I don't think it's a good idea to take Shamrock to meet
him. Instead, I would bring him into your house and give him a private room
for awhile. Holly was a jealous, only cat before I adopted Duffy. I have
described that process on the group. Holly still follows me everywhere and
clearly thinks that I belong to her. She's sitting on the edge of the
keyboard right now (which makes it a little difficult to type, but it's a
pattern that has been built up over the years). I really think the careful,
slow introduction is the method to follow instead of taking Shamrock into a
new environment where there is a strange cat to confront. When I brought
Duffy home, I would alternate rooms--sometimes sitting in Duffy's room with
him and sometimes out in the main part of the house with Holly. I also kept
alternating towels that I rubbed on the two cats so they would become used
to one another's scent.

MaryL

Old July 11th 13, 03:17 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Cheryl[_3_]

On 7/10/2013 9:57 PM, MaryL wrote:

[...]

You're probably right about not taking Shamrock into a strange place to
meet him. I don't think I'll do that, now that I've had time to think
about it. I can do a slow introduction but the screen door with Patches
(my sisters cat) didn't work out for us. She might have just been an
odd case, but I also don't want to trap a cat into one room to adjust.
I need to find a happy medium between Sam in a room, and the others in
another room while Sam gets to roam.

--
CAPSLOCK–Preventing Login Since 1980.
Old July 11th 13, 03:17 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

On 7/10/2013 9:57 PM, MaryL wrote:

"Cheryl" wrote in message
eb.com...

[...]

I have never had to do a cat introduction but I agree with everything
you've said. I have read a lot about it. A gradual introduction seems
the way to go. Just look at Tak with Spicey and his cats. What a fast
integration. It seems to be working out well. And I'm enjoying the
stories. I hope Cheryl can give this pretty boy a good home.

Jill
Old July 11th 13, 03:26 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Cheryl[_3_]

On 7/10/2013 10:17 PM, jmcquown wrote:

I have never had to do a cat introduction but I agree with everything
you've said. I have read a lot about it. A gradual introduction seems
the way to go. Just look at Tak with Spicey and his cats. What a fast
integration. It seems to be working out well. And I'm enjoying the
stories. I hope Cheryl can give this pretty boy a good home.

I just had to go away for a couple of days and am home now, and everyone
seems adjusted again. My petsitter is wonderful and they seemed to
barely miss me when I got home. I think if I give it a week (as long as
someone else doesn't come along to take him before then) they will
probably forget I was gone.

--
CAPSLOCK–Preventing Login Since 1980.
Old July 11th 13, 03:51 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Cheryl[_3_]

On 7/10/2013 10:26 PM, Cheryl wrote:

I just had to go away for a couple of days and am home now, and everyone
seems adjusted again. My petsitter is wonderful and they seemed to
barely miss me when I got home. I think if I give it a week (as long as
someone else doesn't come along to take him before then) they will
probably forget I was gone.

That didn't make sense. Boy I'm just tired. I'll update you guys later
when I decide.

--
CAPSLOCK–Preventing Login Since 1980.