"Spayed" cat in heat

Old September 5th 03, 06:53 AM
Agalena

Default "Spayed" cat in heat

I have a 10 year old supposedly spayed cat that I adopted from a shelter 6
months ago. I say "supposedly" spayed because she is definitely showing
signs of being in heat. The shelter has only the prior owner's word that
she was spayed, but I find it hard to believe some one would have a 10 year
old female cat who wasn't spayed. I've heard that if some ovarian or
uterine tissue was missed during the spay procedure, the cat could still go
into heat although, obviously, not be able to get pregnant. Has anyone had
any experience with this? What can be done to solve this problem? I can
put up with the howling and restlessness, but not with her spraying all over
the house and all the toms in the neighborhood hanging around. Can the
tissue that was left behind be found and removed surgically? Can the estrus
cycle be suppressed pharmacologically? Thanks.

Agalena

Old September 5th 03, 10:41 AM
MaryL

"Agalena" wrote in message
[...]

Yes, there definitely are people who have 10-year-old cats that have not
been spayed or neutered. I think the obvious answer here is to have your
cat examined by a vet. Incidentally, have you checked to see if an incision
is obvious?

MaryL

Old September 6th 03, 03:08 AM
luna

Our female kitty Luna was having the same problems. At first the vet tried
treating her for bladder infections. He said that some cats were just prone
to getting them and it had some of the same "side effects" as coming into
heat. She was given a course of antibiotics numerous times but it kept
coming back every 3 months or so. We asked if it was possible that
something got left behind when she was fixed. Sometimes a very small amount
of tissue can be missed, but is very difficult to find. Our solution has
been kitty birth control. It eases all of the symptoms within a few days.
That includes the howling, restlessness and spraying. It is called
megestrol acetate ovaban and is only available through your vet. We give
her 1/4 tablet (they are about the size of an aspirin whole) a day for 12
days as soon as we start to notice the symptoms. 2-3 days and she's our
little girl again. Check with your vet and see if he thinks that this may
help. Good Luck.

Jeanne

Old September 6th 03, 03:17 AM
Kalyahna

"Agalena" wrote in message
[...]

Most shelters are not so foolish as to simply trust what they're told. We
routinely do spay-scar checks on females unless the surrendering owner
brings in the medical papers from the vet to prove the surgery was done. In
an example of, "You learn something new every day," one of our techs pointed
out that most declawed females are also spayed, and if you have an eye for
it, it's generally possible to tell a spayed female from an unspayed female
by the condition of the coat. Something about how calories directed to the
reproductive system before the spay are then directed to hair and skin and
whatnot afterward... which also explains why many altered animals become
glossy and fat.

Old September 6th 03, 03:42 AM
MaryL

"Cheryl" wrote in message
In ,
Kalyahna composed with style:

Most shelters are not so foolish as to simply trust what they're
told. We routinely do spay-scar checks on females unless the
surrendering owner brings in the medical papers from the vet to
prove the surgery was done. In an example of, "You learn something
new every day," one of our techs pointed out that most declawed
females are also spayed, and if you have an eye for it, it's
generally possible to tell a spayed female from an unspayed female
by the condition of the coat. Something about how calories directed
to the reproductive system before the spay are then directed to
hair and skin and whatnot afterward... which also explains why many
altered animals become glossy and fat.

I am a new slave to a female cat recently spayed, I've always had
males. Does the "glossy and fat" part come about in the early months
after a spay? Or is it built up over time? This lil won was spayed
in mid-May and her nipples are still bare even though her fur has
grown back and she's gotten quite a mid-section. She runs quite a bit
and is active but has periods of time in "her" room during the
feral-to-domestic transition. She had roundworm a while back but had
Drontal at 2 week intervals 2x so I doubt it is still worms. Glossy
definitely fits her - she is solid black without a speck of white.

My cats do have "glossy" coats ... However, I have never had a cat (male or
female) get "fat" following the spay/neuter procedures.

MaryL

Old September 6th 03, 03:53 AM
Cheryl

In ,
MaryL composed with style:

My cats do have "glossy" coats ... However, I have never had a cat
(male or female) get "fat" following the spay/neuter procedures.

Bonnie is very glossy. I guess the fat part came from being in that
cage for so long and then in her room and only out on weekends
recently. I keep telling myself with normal activity she'll slim down
but I think she was preg when she was spayed. I had a foster who I
know was preg when she was spayed and she stayed looking preg. the
whole time she was here. Part of the problem too, is using food to
"bribe" her to like me. I'm very aware of this issue and measure
her food though I can't get her to eat any other canned food besides
kitten food. WORKING ON IT! I don't want to have another fat
cat.

Heat?? Sherry Cat anecdotes 52 March 4th 04 03:02 AM
Does the vitamin E speed up the cat's heat? Sip Cat health & behaviour 22 July 30th 03 04:30 PM