Pet Food Recall

Old October 24th 03, 03:53 PM
PawsForThought

Default Pet Food Recall

I had never heard of this food before, but someone told me about it being
recalled due to causing deaths, so just in case someone does feed this brand,
here is the link about the recall:

http://beta.kpix.com/external/sendof...om/recall.html

Lauren
________
Old October 27th 03, 12:51 AM
Warren O

PawsForThought wrote:

I had never heard of this food before, but someone told me about it being
recalled due to causing deaths, so just in case someone does feed this brand,
here is the link about the recall:

http://beta.kpix.com/external/sendof...om/recall.html

Lauren

This happened to a coworker of a friend of mine. This woman's dog had
some kind of liver failure due to eating this food. Apparently, five
cases showed up in Contra Costa County, CA, so they knew something was
going on. According to the email I got, four of the five dogs passed
away before they could do anything. This woman's dog was a puppy, but
was the fifth dog in four days to arrive at this special clinic. As of
last Tuesday, the puppy was hanging on. It had dialysis, IV, blood
transfusion, a liver biopsy, and an ultrasound to check its other organs.

I'm glad you found the link. It's a really unfortunate situation and I
wanted to share it with my friends who own dogs. I was searching for
"Go!" pet food and couldn't find anything on the mfr.

Hope this doesn't affect any more dogs,
Warren
Great gifts for cat lovers at http://www.officiallycute.com

Old October 27th 03, 11:18 PM
Steve Crane

olitter (PawsForThought) wrote in message ...

Analytical data on Go!Natural
This was a Whole Dog Journal "Recommended" food.

"As of today I received confirmation of the levels of heavy metals in the
Go Natural dog food we had independently tested. Those tests reveal
high levels of the following heavy metals:

Metal Normal PPM Go Natural Dog Food Tested
Copper 7-10 ppm 42.4 ppm
Iron 140 ppm 431 ppm
Zinc 80-130 ppm 625 ppm

The University of Missouri, in conjunction with the University of
Michigan, who performed the testing, reported on these metal contents as
follows:

"What appeared to be the most significant was that Iron (Fe), copper
(Cu), and zinc (Zn) were all present in concentrations significantly
greater than what is reported to be normal in canine diets. The
concentrations of Fe, Cu, and Zn in this sample of dog food were 431
ppm, 42.4 ppm, and 625 ppm respectively. The normal ranges for these
three metals are reported to be 140 ppm, 7 to 10 ppm, and 80 to 130 ppm
respectively".

Also detected, but not felt significant at this juncture was an
insecticide of ant origin called Iridomyrmecin. The report stated as
follows:

"A sample of dog food was sent to the Animal Health Diagnostic
Laboratory for GC-MS analysis. Iridomyrmecin was detected in the dog
food by a computer match only. Little is known about this compound
other than it is an insecticide of ant origin. Further testing can be
done to determine the amount of this compound in the dog food, but its
significance, at least for the time-being, is presumably less than the
measured concentrations of Fe, Cu, and Zn in this dog food."

It was recommended "it may be advisable to consult with a canine
nutritionist on the significance of some of these concentrations of metals."
Susan G. Wynn, DVM
Woodstock GA

Old October 27th 03, 11:30 PM
Warren O

From: Warren O com

This woman's dog was a puppy, but
was the fifth dog in four days to arrive at this special clinic. As of
last Tuesday, the puppy was hanging on. It had dialysis, IV, blood
transfusion, a liver biopsy, and an ultrasound to check its other organs.

Oh no, I'm so sorry to hear about the puppy. I hope he makes it.

http://beta.kpix.com/news/local/2003..._Pet_Food.html

Unfortunately, I heard he did not make it. This is Rocky's picture and
(although I didn't see it) his story aired on local TV.

Old October 27th 03, 11:30 PM
Warren O

Old October 28th 03, 03:02 AM
PawsForThought

From: Warren O com

From: Warren O
com

This woman's dog was a puppy, but
was the fifth dog in four days to arrive at this special clinic. As of
last Tuesday, the puppy was hanging on. It had dialysis, IV, blood
transfusion, a liver biopsy, and an ultrasound to check its other organs.

Oh no, I'm so sorry to hear about the puppy. I hope he makes it.

http://beta.kpix.com/news/local/2003...ed_to_High%2DE

nd_Pet_Food.html

Unfortunately, I heard he did not make it. This is Rocky's picture and
(although I didn't see it) his story aired on local TV.

Warren

I'm so sorry about the puppy, Warren. That video is so heartbreaking

Lauren
________