"Widowed" cat will not stop crying

Old April 1st 04, 04:52 AM
Tracy

Yep, you have a wonderful opportunity to adopt an 8+ year old cat and
boy are people needed who are willing to adopt that old an cat. I
realize that you don't feel the need for another cat, but it sounds
like you're existing cat is telling you pretty strongly that *they*
do.
Old April 1st 04, 07:04 AM
Mary

"GovtLawyer" wrote in message
Whoa! NO? NO?!!! Well, guess what, Gov, in a free and open

discussion
that is .... just fine. :')

Your reaction is a bit hysterical.

Is that why I was smiling?

So, I said I disagreed and gave my reasons
why. Why are you getting all bent out of shape.

Gov, darling, I actually put a SMILEY there. Bent out of shape? Um,
not quite.
I thought your reaction was pretty extreme "Not so fast!" when there
wasn't anything I said that four other people also said. Just
suggestions. Mild suggestions. With lots of
alternatives like, wait a while, maybe a kitten, maybe a grown cat,
maybe you just really won't WANT another cat. So wtf are you on about?

Sure, the pet owner knows
what's best, I just thought it might be worthwhile that she hear

another
opinion about it. I didn't put your's or anyone elses opinion down,

I just
offered an alternative one. Relax.

I am relaxed. Honestly. I guess tone is the first thing to go with
this medium.

Old April 1st 04, 10:14 AM
Sandy

I did that when Sundance's sister Cassidy (a rare female orange tabby) died.
I asked the vet if that would be appropriate and/or helpful to Sundance.
She said that he probably knew she was sick, but that it wouldn't hurt and
might help. After Cassidy was put to sleep, I got Sundance out of his
carrier and put him on the table next to her. He investigated her body for
a little while, and then he was ready to get back in the carrier.

Because Cassidy had died of FIP, the vet said not to get a new cat for 6
months. Sundance nearly drove me crazy during that time: he got into a lot
of mischief and became very aggressive toward me. Finally, the day after
the 6 months was up, I went looking and found Rebecca. After she arrived,
Sundance calmed down and became a nice little guy. Since the beginning the
two of them have gotten along better than I could have hoped. To see a
couple of examples of what I mean, go to
(do the math) and look at the
"cats" album.

--
Do the math to email me directly.
"dgk" wrote in message
On 31 Mar 2004 08:20:18 -0800, (Mimi) wrote:

Hi,

Until 2 months ago, I had 2 wonderful older cats. The 15 year old
male was finally put down when his cancer was too much for both of us.
My 17 year old spayed female cat, who has been left behind, now howls
deep gutteral meows on and off all day and night. I thought after a
few months it would improve, but it has not. I go to find her and she
will be sitting on the edge of the counter howling with all of her
might. I will pick her up and cuddle or take her back to bed, and she
will purr and be fine, but within an hour, she will be at it again.

I know she has been traumatized by losing her friend, but I just don't
know what else to do to console her. Does anyone have any
suggestions? Love and treats just doesn't seem to be working and I
have no interest in bringing another cat into the house as a
replacement. It is obvious she is miserable, and I hate to see my
sweetheart in so much pain.

Thanks in advance to all responders - I am at a loss.

Two things folks have commented on already. Check for health issues,
and get another cat. I will also repeat, not a kitten. I did that and
it drove my old boy crazy which he really didn't need. Get a senior
cat that needs a home.

Now one more thing, too late for you but a suggestion for others. If
you have two cats that have been together for a long time and one
dies, let the other one "view" the body. Animals do understand death,
at least mine did. I took him to the vet where he saw and sniffed the
dead body and he knew his buddy wasn't coming home. At least he didn't
wonder why his buddy left him.

Old April 1st 04, 02:49 PM
Mary

"Sandy" wrote:

Because Cassidy had died of FIP, the vet said not to get a new cat

for 6
months.

Sandy, Sundance does not have FIP but they could live together?
I've never had a FIP cat, so I know nothing.

Sundance nearly drove me crazy during that time: he got into a lot
of mischief and became very aggressive toward me. Finally, the day

after
the 6 months was up, I went looking and found Rebecca. After she

arrived,
Sundance calmed down and became a nice little guy. Since the

beginning the
two of them have gotten along better than I could have hoped. To

see a
couple of examples of what I mean, go to

What cuties!!

(do the math) and look at

the
"cats" album.

Old April 2nd 04, 12:16 AM
Mimi

Thank you all for your input.

I took her in for a checkup not long ago when she had a stroke, and we
found that she does have mild kidney failure, so she is on a special
diet. I don't recall that they tested her thyroid -excellent help
-I appreciate it and will have that done.

I will have more cats one day, I am a great kitty mom and have had
over a dozen in my life, but this little girl is truly too old and
fragile for me to put her through that. When she has finished her
long life with me, I will start again with some sweethearts. I have
no problem adopting any age cat, all need love.