urinary tract infection?

Old January 24th 05, 01:13 PM
---MIKE---

Phil, My generator is only 6 KW but that will power everything except
the clothes dryer. When I run the septic pump, I turn everything else
off (for 24 seconds. The running of the pump is not the problem - it's
the starting surge that draws a lot of current).

Phil, I tried to send you an e-mail but it bounced. Could you send me a
valid e-mail address? TIA

---MIKE---

Old January 24th 05, 02:54 PM
Priscilla Ballou

In article , "Jean B." wrote:

Priscilla Ballou wrote:

I was relieved -- when I shouldered my way out my back door by brute
force so I could shovel off the deck and liberate (and restock) the
feeding station -- to see that there was a clear entrance maintained to
the heated shelter (plastic dog house with bedding and outdoor kennel
heating pad). I'd leant an old wheelbarrow over the entrance to create
a wind baffle, and it had worked like a champ, leaving the southwest
corner almost totally snowfree. So there was was ready access to and
egress from the little house. Later when I went down to the basement to
do some laundry I spotted a couple of cats under the back porch, near
the window (which is near the furnace). It was too dark to see *which*
cats they were, though.

What a relief!

I haven't been out yet, but I did look out the window over the back
porch a little while ago and spied two of the "second tier" ferals
getting drinks out of the heated birdbath top. (The feeding and
watering stations are both on the back porch.) The level of food in the
dish of dry food was much lower than I left it yesterday, too.

After I shower and dress I'll take out some wet food and see if I can
spy any of the three "core colony" cats. There are several trails in
the snow. Buttercream (one of those I saw this morning) looked like she
was swimming as she got over to the porch steps!

Priscilla

--
"It is very, very dangerous to treat any human, lowest
of the low even, with contempt and arrogant whatever.
Old January 25th 05, 06:14 PM
Phil P.

"Arjun Ray" wrote in message
news
On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 00:23:15 +0000, Phil P. wrote:
"Arjun Ray" wrote in message
news

But my church colony is safe: they hang out in the basement of the
church.

ooo That's great!

They also sneak into the basement of the parish hall next door (I suspect
because the heating in that building is better). A minor nusiance for the
church staff, but they're used to the cats, and quite pleased with the
idea that there won't be more of them! (One interesting aspect of having
caught the last intact female back in Aug 03 has been the drop in the
number of alien toms um, passing through.)

[Bryan] thinks the cats won't feel secure with a clear roof. He has a
point. Cats like to snuggle in dark cozy places.

Ah, okay.

But cats also like to sleep in the sun. I think they'd prefer warmth
in the winter. The roof is easily interchangeable or covered with a
reflective surface for the warmer months.

It's tough to find a place exposed to sunlight that isn't also exposed to
wind (the major problem in the city, where houses only make the wind
tunnel effects worse). Generally the strategy for shelter placement has
been with the wind in mind.

The purpose of the pitched polycarbonate roof is that the shelter entrance
can be faced away from the wind in any direction while allowing the sun to
warm the shelter. A wind barrier can also be placed a foot in front of the
entrance.

|====|

something like this \_________/

I'd love to see a design that successfully trapped outside heat.

You know those thick plastic strips that hang in open doorways of warehouses
to keep the heat in while trucks are loaded and unloaded? I'm wondering
about attaching small ones to shelters -- one strip every few days so the
cats used to going through them a little at a time. Cat flaps are generally
a no-no for feral shelters, but I think attaching the strips one at time
every few days might work.

I also bought a case of "Space Blankets" (thin mylar) that reflect 80% of
body heat and cover the space blankets with straw.

Gimme your email addy and I'll send you the plans.

I have two. nyct.net instead of nmds.com.invalid in the address I'm
posting with, or the formula .

They're on the way

If you
aren't subscribed already, you could join the

mailing list and upload the plans to the Files section too.

I'll check it out.

Old January 25th 05, 06:14 PM
Phil P.

"Priscilla Ballou" wrote in message
In article et,
"Phil P." wrote:

"Priscilla Ballou" wrote in message
In article , "Jean B."
wrote:

What I've heard mostly is that it will be very windy and cold, and
there could be 6-foot drifts.

One of those will probably be against my back door, making it

difficult
for me to dig out the ferals' feeding station. :-( I'm not kidding.

northeast wind would blow right up against it.

I had the same worries. I've been out since 4:00 am digging out the
entrances of the shelters so they can get in and out - otherwise they'll
starve and poop & pee inside. Two shelters were completely covered and

the
cats were nowhere to be found. I've been checking every few hours.
I've been thinking about building bi-level feral shelters for a few

years -
this blizzard clinched it.

I was relieved -- when I shouldered my way out my back door by brute
force so I could shovel off the deck and liberate (and restock) the
feeding station -- to see that there was a clear entrance maintained to
the heated shelter (plastic dog house with bedding and outdoor kennel
heating pad). I'd leant an old wheelbarrow over the entrance to create
a wind baffle, and it had worked like a champ, leaving the southwest
corner almost totally snowfree. So there was was ready access to and
egress from the little house.

Hey, that's a great idea!

I'm especially worried about the cats elinimating. Cats will voluntarily
hold poop in until the time and place are right. The longer they hold poop
in the drier and harder it gets and the more difficult to pass. I'm very
worried about the cats developing serious constipation and obstipation.

I've dug out a path from the shelters to the parking lot and cleared a 20'
circle around the shelters - but still no sign of the cats. I have a
feeling they found a way inside one of buildings. I'm worried about food
and water, too.

Later when I went down to the basement to
do some laundry I spotted a couple of cats under the back porch, near
the window (which is near the furnace). It was too dark to see *which*
cats they were, though.

It sound like the shelter is on your property. Is it?

Phil.

Priscilla

Old January 25th 05, 06:17 PM
Phil P.

"---MIKE---" wrote in message
Phil, My generator is only 6 KW but that will power everything except
the clothes dryer. When I run the septic pump, I turn everything else
off (for 24 seconds. The running of the pump is not the problem - it's
the starting surge that draws a lot of current).

Phil, I tried to send you an e-mail but it bounced. Could you send me a
valid e-mail address? TIA

I switched servers - My Max's House addy should work now. cc to topcat at
maxshouse dot com just in case.

Phil

---MIKE---