urinary tract infection?

Old January 22nd 05, 09:48 PM
Jean B.

Karen Chuplis wrote:

in article , Jean B. at wrote on
1/22/05 8:42AM:

---MIKE--- wrote:

This sounds like all the symptoms of a blockage. DON'T wait until
Monday. Take him to an emergency vet right away. If you wait, you
could lose him!

---MIKE---

Yup! I have an appointment for ca an hour from now at an
emergency vet hospital. To the degree I do things right and
quickly, it is because I have absorbed things from this group.
(Thank goodness!)

Poor baby. It is about zero here, and we have a blizzard warning
starting at noon.... Good timing, but I just have to take care of
Mingy, who hates the vet and is going to hate this whole
experience.

Poor Mingy. I'm glad you found a vet!!! He would hate it worse if he could
not get help. Keep us posted.

Yes, I figure this is like dealing with a baby, who you can't
explain things to. He doesn't understand, but it has to be done.
The tech thought he wasn't blocked, but it turned out he was
partially blocked, and it was wise to unblock him and leave him
overnight*, with an catheter and an IV. So that is what I have
done. The big problems are 1) he is so shy and scared of other
cats, this this has to be extremely traumatic for him, and 2) this
is complicated by the fact that we are about to be hit by a major
blizzard in the Boston area, so I am not sure I will even be able
to rescue him tomorrow, if they say he can come home. I have
already warned my friend that if he can come home, and it is
humanly possible to get him, I will need help doing so. (He is a
lot more comfortable driving in the snow than I am.)

I have to say I was very upset when I got this news, because I
know this is going to be so hard for Mingy.... I guess they see a
lot of this though................
--
Jean B.
Old January 22nd 05, 09:56 PM
Jean B.

Rhonda wrote:

Poor guy, has to get sick during a blizzard.

Please let us know how he's doing. I'm glad you noticed this right away
and are getting him in so quickly! You're a good cat-mom.

Rhonda

Jean B. wrote:

Thanks, Rhonda. To the degree I am a good cat-mom, I owe it to
this group and the information I have (miraculously) absorbed, and
to my friend, Dave, whose cat almost died from a blockage a few
years ago. In a way, the blizzard also played a role, because I
knew I could not afford to wait to see what happened, because I
wouldn't have been able to get Mingy anywhere if I did.

Other mitigating circumstances: Mingy is an indoor cat, so I can
see what is happening in his litterbox; and said litterbox is in
the kitchen, so I frequently see him using it. One thing I can
say, which may be useful to others, is that although I didn't see
Mingy straining (which is what I always read), he had started
spending a LONG time in the box. That is one thing I now will be
on the lookout for and will advise others to file away in their
minds. If you know your cat is usually in and out of the box
pretty quickly, and you notice him/her staying in there a lot
longer, your antennae should go up.

Really, though, I caught this very early. He was partially
blocked. It could have been much worse. (Now, we need the
reports on the cause....) Just pray Mingy is not too, too freaked
out while he is at the Veterinarian Hospital.

--
Jean B.
Old January 22nd 05, 10:09 PM
Jean B.

Mary wrote:

Yes! Hope youcan get him in today. Most vets have
limited Saturday hours. At least call their emergency
number and see what they say about the symptoms.

My vet is, indeed, closed on the weekend, but I recalled he said I
should call a Veterinary Hospital in the next town. I could
actually find that card and did so. I am glad I did. Much better
to catch this before it is a total crisis--esp. now when a
blizzard will be upon is in an hour or two (timing keeps getting
pushed back).
--
Jean B.
Old January 22nd 05, 10:12 PM
Jean B.

Mary wrote:

"Jean B." wrote:
Yup! I have an appointment for ca an hour from now at an
emergency vet hospital.

Wonderful.

It is great that this 24-hour hospital is nearby. It seems like a
nice, caring place. I am also glad I have emergency funds,
because this is EXPENSIVE!

To the degree I do things right and
quickly, it is because I have absorbed things from this group.
(Thank goodness!)

Poor baby. It is about zero here, and we have a blizzard warning
starting at noon.... Good timing, but I just have to take care of
Mingy, who hates the vet and is going to hate this whole
experience.
--

You're a great cat mom.

ONLY because I have learned a lot here. That is actually what I
hoped would happen when I joined this group, and I actually DID
learn enough to deal with this quickly!!!!! So, while I am sad
and upset that Mingy is not here right now, I am happy that I
could get him treated before he was really sick.
--
Jean B.
Old January 22nd 05, 10:20 PM
Jean B.

"Phil P." wrote:

Hiya Jean!

Long time no see! How's Spot? Well, I hope.

No Spot here, so maybe you are thinking of someone else?

I think you made a very, very wise decision having Mingy checked right away.
Without a lot of experience and expertise in palpitating a cat's bladder,
its very difficult to distinguish stranguria that's induced by interstitial
cystitis from a partial urinary tract obstruction - which can become a
complete obstruction very quickly. A complete obstruction produces a
situation equivalent to oliguric acute renal failure - which can be fatal if
not treated in time.

Yes, my fear of rapid detrioration prompted me to get him to the
vet's ASAP--especially since I knew I would not even be able to if
I waited. I LOVE this cat.

Male cats are prone to obstructions because their urethra narrows - kinda
like a funnel - where it passes over the pelvis and into the penis.
(see: http://maxshouse.com/anatomy__urogenital_system.htm). Once a crystal
or plug lodges there, smaller crystals that would normally pass become
trapped and accumulate and can easily and quickly produce a complete
obstruction. Females have a wider and almost straight urethra that
practically eliminates the possibility of obstruction.

I did remember male cats are especially prone to blockage.

Also, the longer a cat (females, too) experiences pain while trying to
urinate, the greater the chances become of developing an aversion to the
litter box (he begins to associate the pain with the litterbox - he thinks
the pain comes from the litterbox. On your way home from the vet, you
might want to make a quick stop at the pet store and pick up another
completely different litterbox.

Oooh, good idea! I hope I can get back out. I want to wait for
the vet to call, and that's supposed to be soon.

Many people have called me "extreme" or "paranoid" (or worse, "pecker
checker") because I constantly advise people to make sure they actually
*see* their cats urinate (and poop) at least once or twice a day -
especially in multicat households where its difficult if not impossible to
tell who is and who isn't peeing without actually watching. Your
observations and quick response have probably saved Mingy's life!

I am SOOOOO glad I see him in the box and saw he was behaving
strangely. I have been thinking about that ever since my friend
almost lost his cat who was totally blocked. His cat spends a lot
of time outside. How would he know whether his cat was sick or
not? Also, this might be a good reason not to put the litterbox
someplace out of sight. Yes, it would be more appealing from an
esthetic point of view, but it is useful to see your cat's
behavior in the box. Mingy was spending an enormous amount of
time in the box, but still (at that point) producing what looked
like reasonable pee and poop. But then when he peed on the floor
several times, I knew he must be sick.................

Its nice hearing from you again - I just wish it was under better
circumstances.

Best of luck.

Phil.

"Like a graceful vase, a cat, even when motionless, seems to flow"
-George P. Will
Feline healthcare http://maxshouse.com

Jean B.
Old January 22nd 05, 10:25 PM
Cheryl

On Sat 22 Jan 2005 03:56:54p, Jean B. wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav ):

Really, though, I caught this very early. He was partially
blocked. It could have been much worse. (Now, we need the
reports on the cause....) Just pray Mingy is not too, too freaked
out while he is at the Veterinarian Hospital.

I'm very glad that you did catch it early! Good job on your part!
We're going to send prayers and purrs that Mingy is just fine at the
vet hospital until you get to bring him home. Hopefully you don't get
as much snow as they are calling for. I'm in Maryland and it's
already stopped here. It moved very quickly out, and we ended up with
only about 6".

--
Cheryl
Old January 22nd 05, 10:31 PM
---MIKE---

Jean, after you get Mingy home, you want to consider how to prevent this
from happening in the future. If you are feeding him a dry food diet,
try to switch him to canned food for his main diet. Preferably use a
good quality food such as Wellness or Innova. Even if they drink water,
they would get more useful water from the canned food.

---MIKE---

Old January 22nd 05, 10:33 PM
Jean B.

Cheryl wrote:

I'm very glad that you did catch it early! Good job on your part!
We're going to send prayers and purrs that Mingy is just fine at the
vet hospital until you get to bring him home. Hopefully you don't get
as much snow as they are calling for. I'm in Maryland and it's
already stopped here. It moved very quickly out, and we ended up with
only about 6".

--
Cheryl

Oh, I sure hope we only get 6 inches. That would help. I would
feel so bad if I couldn't retrieve Mingy the second he is allowed
to come home. He will be so much happier here. (I wish the vet
would call, so I can go back out and get a new box.............)
--
Jean B.
Old January 22nd 05, 10:38 PM
Cat Protector

It makes me glad I live in the Phoenix area and don't have to face this. I
hope Mingy gets better.

--
Cat Galaxy: All Cats! All The Time!
www.catgalaxymedia.com

www.panthertekit.com

"Jean B." wrote in message ...
I am in the Boston area--one or two feet of snow, with up to
six-foot drifts predicted. The worst thing about this is I may
not be able to retrieve Mingy tomorrow, assuming he is ready to
come home in the afternoon. I am so upset about his having to
stay, because he is very shy and is scared of other cats. I think
when the doctor calls (soon--which is why I didn't go back out
while I could), I may suggest they cover his cage a bit so he can
feel safer....
--
Jean B.

Old January 22nd 05, 10:41 PM
Cheryl

On Sat 22 Jan 2005 04:33:09p, Jean B. wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav ):

Oh, I sure hope we only get 6 inches. That would help. I would
feel so bad if I couldn't retrieve Mingy the second he is allowed
to come home. He will be so much happier here. (I wish the vet
would call, so I can go back out and get a new box.............)

Oh, you might get more than 6". lol But, it looks like NYC might get
hammered and the storm go out to sea from there. Stay safe and
warm!!

--
Cheryl