OT Deer and songbird decline

Old July 30th 05, 09:16 PM
Alison

Default OT Deer and songbird decline

From New Scientist, 30/7/05
" Deer maybe behind the widespread decline of songbirds in North
America
and Europe. Jean-Louis Martin, from the Centre for Evolutionary and
Functional Ecology in Montpelier, working with the Canadian Wildlife
Service surveyed songbird, deer, vegetation and insect populations on
37 islands on the Haida Gwaii archipelago
in British Columbia.
They found bird species that relied most on understorey vegetation
for food and nesting were most affected by the deer. There numbers
were 93% lower than those
on deer free islands. A lack of predators has allowed deer numbers to
rise and Martin suggests introducing some of the deers natural
predators. "

It's humans that are destroying this world and causing the decline of
songbirds and all the other disappearing species(

Alison

Old July 30th 05, 09:59 PM

Alison wrote:
From New Scientist, 30/7/05
[...]

Maybe true that the deer have contributed to that particular songbird's
decrease. But lack of predators isn't the whole reason -- we're (in US)
are removing more and more of the deer's habitat with every new housing
addition and mini-mall being built. Wonder exactly what they're hinting
at when they say Martin suggests introducing some of the deer's natural
predators? Some dumb Okie redneck with a 12-gauge?

Sherry

Old July 31st 05, 01:46 AM
Cheryl

On Sat 30 Jul 2005 04:16:08p, Alison wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav
):

From New Scientist, 30/7/05
[...]

Interesting viewpoint. I'm one of those who believe that we are
ruining the world and the habitats of wildlife, making them
scramble for new homes, food, etc. Just seeing foxes run along an
interstate is proof to me. Seeing deer come into neighborhoods
where they've never been seen before. However, at least in this
area, humans are scrambling for housing. New jobs are being created
/ shifted faster than the housing market and the roads can keep up.
Maybe not "new" jobs, but the hot job market area changes. Bringing
"sprawl and crawl" along with it. Geez this gets me started. DC
area here.

--
Cheryl

"The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited
breath."
- W.C. Fields
Old July 31st 05, 01:03 PM
Alison

wrote in message
ups.com...

Alison wrote:

It's humans that are destroying this world and causing the

decline of
songbirds and all the other disappearing species(

Alison

Maybe true that the deer have contributed to that particular

songbird's
decrease. But lack of predators isn't the whole reason -- we're (in

US)
are removing more and more of the deer's habitat with every new

housing
addition and mini-mall being built. Wonder exactly what they're

hinting
at when they say Martin suggests introducing some of the deer's

natural
predators? Some dumb Okie redneck with a 12-gauge?

Sherry.

LOL They'd probably shoot all the birds too
It's worse in the UK , we're a very crowded island and most people
want to settle in the South East . Our PM wants to see 100s of 1000's
more houses built in this area
plus building more runways and motorways near the airports. They
actually want to demolish a whole village to build a runway. In a
few years, if he suceeds, it will one gaint concrete jungle. (
Alison

Old July 31st 05, 01:15 PM
Alison

"Cheryl" wrote in message
[...]

I personally don't think you can compare the effect of an over
population of deer
on a tiny island with wild deer in US and Europe. They tried to do
this with cats
Also in the UK on a Scottish island, thousands of hedgehogs had to be
removed or destroyed because they ate the eggs of ground nesting birds
but its not likely hedgehogs on the mainland wouild affect bird
numbers.

It's the same here, foxes are becoming urbanised and thriving and
I've seen muntjac deer on the playing fields. They aren't native but
escaped from capitivity and survived.
Where I live has green belt areas that can't be built on (yet!) but
over the years small holiding and grazing land have been built on and
now places like pubs and garages, garden nurseries, large houses are
being knocked down and replaced with blocks of appartments.
Alison

Old July 31st 05, 03:06 PM

Alison wrote:
I personally don't think you can compare the effect of an over
population of deer
on a tiny island with wild deer in US and Europe. They tried to do
this with cats
Also in the UK on a Scottish island, thousands of hedgehogs had to be
removed or destroyed because they ate the eggs of ground nesting birds
but its not likely hedgehogs on the mainland wouild affect bird
numbers.

Oh, duh, of course. I missed the "island" part. :-)
I think what was fresh on my mind is, they're all in a hoopla around
here because they broke up new prairie to build these gigantic homes
and a golf course recently. A new school for the new homes followed.Now
everybody seems so aghast and surprised because coyotes are showingup
on the playground.

Sherry

Old July 31st 05, 05:33 PM
Alison

wrote in message
ups.com...

Also in the UK on a Scottish island, thousands of hedgehogs had

to be
removed or destroyed because they ate the eggs of ground nesting

birds
but its not likely hedgehogs on the mainland wouild affect bird
numbers.

Oh, duh, of course. I missed the "island" part. :-)
I think what was fresh on my mind is, they're all in a hoopla around
here because they broke up new prairie to build these gigantic homes
and a golf course recently. A new school for the new homes

followed.Now
everybody seems so aghast and surprised because coyotes are

showingup
on the playground. .

I bet they shoot the coyotes now. A golf course! How do you bear
it?
One of my mum's cousins lived in Reno, she's passed away now, but I
remember her saying how they were building and building there and she
was concerned about the wild horses who were losing their territory.
Alison

Old July 31st 05, 05:44 PM

Alison wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...

Also in the UK on a Scottish island, thousands of hedgehogs had

to be
removed or destroyed because they ate the eggs of ground nesting

birds
but its not likely hedgehogs on the mainland wouild affect bird
numbers.

Oh, duh, of course. I missed the "island" part. :-)
I think what was fresh on my mind is, they're all in a hoopla around
here because they broke up new prairie to build these gigantic homes
and a golf course recently. A new school for the new homes

followed.Now
everybody seems so aghast and surprised because coyotes are

showingup
on the playground. .

I bet they shoot the coyotes now.

Oh yeah. They always have shot them. It's practically a sport with the
redneck element. Ranchers shoot them because they don't like them
around their stock. I don't like them around because I worry about the
cats and they are notorious for carrying off cats and dogs. But I
respect them. I read once their numbers are higher now than they were
in colonial days, despite encroachment of their territory and being
eliminated by man.

Sherry