Caring about wild cats

Old October 31st 09, 12:50 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
jmc

Default Caring about wild cats

Suddenly, without warning, Mark Earnest exclaimed (10/30/2009 10:29 PM):
"jmc" wrote in message
Suddenly, without warning, Mark Earnest exclaimed (10/30/2009 5:47 PM):
"cybercat" wrote in message
"Mark Earnest" wrote in message
netamerica...
How much do you have to pay to keep from feeding your cat
animal digest (ughh!)?

I am helping the neighborhood cats out right now...and there are a lot
of them...and I refuse to feed them animal manure as seem to be in all
the dry food I have come across!

Anyone know of any clean dry cat foods that don't cost too much, so I
can help out more wild neighborhood cats?

Mark, is there a trap, neuter, release program in your area? You are not
really helping the big picture if you are supporting these cats so they
can breed and make more cats that will suffer.
It is my current observation (correct me if this is not right) that
animals in the wild tend to multiply until their environment can no
longer support them. This has worked on Earth for millions of years.

Not really. What tends to happen is they overpopulate terribly, then die
off in droves from diseases caused and easily spread by overpopulation and
sickness when the food supply cannot support the population.

I just can't see this. There are animals all over the world living just
fine
in their given environments. Especially protected animals, like our cats.

What you are forgetting is the predator factor. Predators of a species
are absolutely critical to a healthy, sustainable population. These
deer, rabbits and cats do not have natural predators (or have few) in
human habitation areas, so the populations are not naturally kept in check.

I've watched deer populations in isolated pockets go from healthy
individuals, to tons of deer that seem to get scrawnier every year, to a
decline in the number I see. I've seen rabbits overpopulate
horrifically (you'd look out in to the field and it'd seem like there
was one rabbit per square foot), then essentially go extinct in an area
due to myximatosis (sp?).

The availability of food from humans and around human habitation throws
the wild equation out the window.

Humans are just a part of the ecosystem to the cats.
Humans are just as likely to provide sustenance to the cat
as a totally wild environment.

You are also forgetting that domestic cats are not wild. They are
feral, and there is a big difference.

Seen this in deer and rabbits, can't see it'd be any different with cats.

Cats are a *lot* smarter than deer and rabbits.
See how quickly they figure out just who to come up to, to ask
for a helping hand.

Which makes the problem worse. No natural predators, a lot of help,
they'll easily overpopulate with nothing checking their population. Why
do you think TNR was needed in the first place?

A group of them have already outsmarted me with their purrs
and tranquil eye gazes!

I firmly believe felines know how to judge the ecosystem before
getting it on with other felines.

Sorry, I think you're anthromorphising. If a tom is near a receptive
female, do you REALLY think he's gonna look around and say, "Hmm, seems
quite a lot of us here. I think I'll pass on sex for a while."? Heck,
most HUMANS don't even do that!!!

jmc
Old October 31st 09, 01:07 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"jmc" wrote :
I firmly believe felines know how to judge the ecosystem before
getting it on with other felines.

Sorry, I think you're anthromorphising. If a tom is near a receptive
female, do you REALLY think he's gonna look around and say, "Hmm, seems
quite a lot of us here. I think I'll pass on sex for a while."? Heck,
most HUMANS don't even do that!!!

heh. Just when we think we've seen every brand of stupid there is, here
comes "Mark Earnest." A troll, maybe?

Old October 31st 09, 04:19 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
MLB[_2_]

"cybercat" wrote in message
"Mark Earnest" wrote in message
netamerica...
How much do you have to pay to keep from feeding your cat
animal digest (ughh!)?

I am helping the neighborhood cats out right now...and there are a lot
of them...and I refuse to feed them animal manure as seem to be in all
the dry food I have come across!

Anyone know of any clean dry cat foods that don't cost too much, so I
can help out more wild neighborhood cats?

Mark, is there a trap, neuter, release program in your area? You are not
really helping the big picture if you are supporting these cats so they
can breed and make more cats that will suffer.
It is my current observation (correct me if this is not right) that
animals in the wild tend to multiply until their environment can no
longer support them. This has worked on Earth for millions of years.

Right. Moron.

I invited you to correct me. If all you can do is throw insults, you must
agree with me.

To put it simply: When nature can no longer support them they die
horrible deaths from starvation and disease. MLB
Old October 31st 09, 04:20 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
MLB[_2_]

"cybercat" wrote in message
[...]

To put it simply, when nature can no longer support them they die horrible deasths from starvation and disease.

MLB
Old October 31st 09, 09:18 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Mark Earnest

"cybercat" wrote in message

"jmc" wrote :
I firmly believe felines know how to judge the ecosystem before
getting it on with other felines.

Sorry, I think you're anthromorphising. If a tom is near a receptive
female, do you REALLY think he's gonna look around and say, "Hmm, seems
quite a lot of us here. I think I'll pass on sex for a while."? Heck,
most HUMANS don't even do that!!!

heh. Just when we think we've seen every brand of stupid there is, here
comes "Mark Earnest." A troll, maybe?

Hmmm....talking about the nature of cats is being a troll, here?

Sort of makes you wonder what you really talk about.

Old October 31st 09, 09:38 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"MLB" wrote
I invited you to correct me. If all you can do is throw insults, you
must
agree with me.

To put it simply: When nature can no longer support them they die
horrible deaths from starvation and disease. MLB

Thank you, Mary. I have a very hard time bothering with stupid people.

Old October 31st 09, 10:00 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Mark Earnest

"MLB" wrote in message
"cybercat" wrote in message
[...]

Nature supports cats until it no longer allows reproduction, and the
cat understands this.

Old October 31st 09, 10:01 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Mark Earnest

"cybercat" wrote in message

"MLB" wrote
I invited you to correct me. If all you can do is throw insults, you
must
agree with me.

To put it simply: When nature can no longer support them they die
horrible deaths from starvation and disease. MLB

Thank you, Mary. I have a very hard time bothering with stupid people.

Stupid is as stupid does. You can't even defend your position.

Old October 31st 09, 10:04 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Mark Earnest

"cybercat" wrote in message
[...]

Man does just fine without predators. Why shouldn't cats?

I've watched deer populations in isolated pockets go from healthy
individuals, to tons of deer that seem to get scrawnier every year, to a
decline in the number I see. I've seen rabbits overpopulate horrifically
(you'd look out in to the field and it'd seem like there was one rabbit
per square foot), then essentially go extinct in an area due to
myximatosis (sp?).

Creatures live and they die. Happens to the very best of us.

The availability of food from humans and around human habitation throws
the wild equation out the window.

Humans are just a part of the ecosystem to the cats.
Humans are just as likely to provide sustenance to the cat
as a totally wild environment.

You are also forgetting that domestic cats are not wild. They are feral,
and there is a big difference.

Then you haven't seen the wild, self sustaining cats in my neighborhood.

[...]

Cats are smarter than humans in many ways.

Old November 2nd 09, 02:40 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
jmc

Suddenly, without warning, Mark Earnest exclaimed (10/31/2009 6:04 PM):
"jmc" wrote in message
Suddenly, without warning, Mark Earnest exclaimed (10/30/2009 10:29 PM):

Man does just fine without predators. Why shouldn't cats?

We overpopulate the earth terribly and millions are dying of starvation
and disease. How is that doing fine?

I've watched deer populations in isolated pockets go from healthy
individuals, to tons of deer that seem to get scrawnier every year, to a
decline in the number I see. I've seen rabbits overpopulate horrifically
(you'd look out in to the field and it'd seem like there was one rabbit
per square foot), then essentially go extinct in an area due to
myximatosis (sp?).

Creatures live and they die. Happens to the very best of us.

Utterly missed the point. Yea, I'm starting to smell a troll too.

The availability of food from humans and around human habitation throws
the wild equation out the window.

Humans are just a part of the ecosystem to the cats.
Humans are just as likely to provide sustenance to the cat
as a totally wild environment.

You are also forgetting that domestic cats are not wild. They are feral,
and there is a big difference.

Then you haven't seen the wild, self sustaining cats in my neighborhood.

Feral, soon to be overpopulated cats in your neighborhood.

Seen this in deer and rabbits, can't see it'd be any different with
cats.
Cats are a *lot* smarter than deer and rabbits.
See how quickly they figure out just who to come up to, to ask
for a helping hand.

Which makes the problem worse. No natural predators, a lot of help,
they'll easily overpopulate with nothing checking their population. Why do
you think TNR was needed in the first place?

A group of them have already outsmarted me with their purrs
and tranquil eye gazes!

must... not.... commment...

I firmly believe felines know how to judge the ecosystem before
getting it on with other felines.

Sorry, I think you're anthromorphising. If a tom is near a receptive
female, do you REALLY think he's gonna look around and say, "Hmm, seems
quite a lot of us here. I think I'll pass on sex for a while."? Heck,
most HUMANS don't even do that!!!

Cats are smarter than humans in many ways.

That, I'll give you, but the drive to procreate isn't something they can
be smart about. Populations are brought into check by starvation,
disease and predation. I certainly hope someone or a rescue society
near that colony is doing TNR and you're just not aware of it.

Since it's apparent you're just looking for an argument and aren't
really interested in having your mind changed, there's really no point
in continuing this conversation.

jmc

WILD Halloween cats! Kreisleriana[_3_] Cat anecdotes 3 November 1st 08 09:03 PM
Stray Wild Cats DanaD Cats - misc 1 April 8th 07 01:16 AM
cats gone wild on the 'nip' yepp Cat anecdotes 3 May 13th 05 12:39 PM
If you like wild cats, don't miss this... Zorin the Lynx Cat anecdotes 5 February 1st 05 02:30 PM