Is this cat abandonment?

Old October 23rd 05, 04:41 AM
Karen

Default Is this cat abandonment?

On 2005-11-22 22:01:15 -0600, Dr Smithpeters said:

If someone who says they may have your lost cat, releases that cat at
your apartment complex, and then refuses to pick it up when the cat is
recaptured, is that animal abandonment?

That's what has happened here in Hammond, Louisiana. The SLU co-ed
would not come get the cat she left here a week previous. When I told
her I would be phoning animal control, her father called me and said
he'd called the sheriff's department on me, saying I threatened his
little girl.

The deputies haven't arrived yet. It's been three hours.

If it is not her cat, I don't think it is abandonment, nor can she be
held responsible. Seems a little silly to me to be blaming her. I would
jst see if I could find a no kill shelter.

Old October 23rd 05, 06:35 AM
Takayuki

Dr Smithpeters wrote:
If someone who says they may have your lost cat, releases that cat at
your apartment complex, and then refuses to pick it up when the cat is
recaptured, is that animal abandonment?

That poor unnamed cat has sure been through a lot.

Old October 23rd 05, 12:27 PM
MaryL

"Dr Smithpeters" wrote in message
If someone who says they may have your lost cat, releases that cat at your
apartment complex, and then refuses to pick it up when the cat is
recaptured, is that animal abandonment?

That's what has happened here in Hammond, Louisiana. The SLU co-ed would
not come get the cat she left here a week previous. When I told her I
would be phoning animal control, her father called me and said he'd called
the sheriff's department on me, saying I threatened his little girl.

The deputies haven't arrived yet. It's been three hours.

You posted this same messae to alt.cats. Here is a copy of the response I
posted the

This is *not* the same story you told before. In your original description,
you said the college student called in response to your "missing cat"
posters, insisted on bringing the cat to you instead of you coming to her
home/apartment, and the *large* cat *escaped* from her arms because she got
out of her car with the unrestrained cat in her arms while the motor was
still running. At that time, you still thought the cat was yours later but
it later turned out not to be the same cat. From your own description, she
did not "release" the cat at your apartment complex, and she did not have
any experience with cats. You also called her "stupid," among other things.

At that point, several of us expressed concern for the other cat, which was
now itself a "missing" cat. I suggested that you post fliers in the
neighborhood where the cat was originally caught so the owners would know
where to look and mentioned (in two messages, I believe) that this meant
there was now another lost cat in an unfamiliar area with owners who would
not know where to look. I further suggested that you call the girl and ask
her to do it if you did not know where she lived (and it seemed reasonable
to me that she might not have wanted to tell a stranger where she lived).

Did you post these notices and/or ask the girl to do the same thing? Did
you take out any newspaper ads or contact animal welfare services for help?
It doesn't sound like it. In my opinion, *both* you and the girl share
moral responsibility. You are older, you are the one with some familiarity
with cats, and you are the one who incorrectly identified the cat as your
own (from a verbal description and even after seeing it escape from the
girl). Therefore, I would place primary blame on you. Why don't you take
action and try to identify the owners instead of expecting the girl to pick
up a cat when she obviously doesn't know the first thing about handling one?

MaryL

Old October 23rd 05, 04:16 PM
Pat

I'm glad to herar that the "wrong cat" has been recaptured, now I hope you
can follow through with finding his slave(s). If you have the phone number
of the girl who thought he was yours and brought him to your complex
originally, you can probably find out where she lives - and hence where the
cat was found, before he ended up in your area - by going to
http://www.theultimates.com/white and scrolling down the page to where you
see the Reverse lookup options. There are two places to enter telephone
numbers and check where they are located.

Once you find the answer you need, then you can advertise in that area that
you found this cat. It may help if you post his picture. Find the local vet
and post there. Find the PetsMart, feed stores, groceries, libraries, weekly
papers, whatever.

Good luck!

Old October 23rd 05, 09:54 PM
MaryL

Top post--
It makes a difference because I think *both* of you are responsible, but I
would put primary responsibility on *you* because you lost your cat and
started this whole scenario in motion. Moreover, you know something about
handling cats and she does not. Finally, don't you care enough about cats
to take some extra steps on your own without worrying about "her
responsibility"?

MaryL

"Dr Smithpeters" wrote in message
Yes I did think he was my cat at first. What difference does that make in
whether or not the girl should have picked up the cat she took over here?

Kiss my ass.

Old October 24th 05, 12:42 AM
mlbriggs

MaryL wrote:
[...]

Regarding his request for a kiss -- just remember that he is the south end
of a horse going north! He is also rude and crude. MLB
Old October 31st 05, 05:51 AM
~^Johnny^~

Your computer clock is one month fast.

Please fix it.

--
-john
wide-open at throttle dot info

~~~~~~~~
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries
of life: music and cats." -Albert Schweitzer
~~~~~~~~
Old October 31st 05, 01:33 PM
John F. Eldredge

On Sun, 30 Oct 2005 21:51:36 -0800, ~^Johnny^~
wrote:

Your computer clock is one month fast.

Please fix it.

Who are you replying to? All of the messages that I see in this
thread have October dates, although it is possible that you are
responding to one of the former trolls whom I have killfiled.

It helps if you include a bit of the message you are replying to.

--
John F. Eldredge --
PGP key available from
Old October 31st 05, 02:57 PM
No More Retail

No Dr Smithpeters posting date is one month in advance I see it now myself
his is showing 11/23/2005 4:52 pm 4 kb

Old October 31st 05, 06:15 PM
~^Johnny^~

On Mon, 31 Oct 2005 07:33:56 -0600, John F. Eldredge
wrote:

Who are you replying to?

Oops. My bad.

All of the messages that I see in this
thread have October dates, although it is possible that you are
responding to one of the former trolls whom I have killfiled.

Could be. Here are the headers. I didn't think quoting was relevant,
in this case, as most newsreaders are threaded, and subject was
irrelevant to my reply.

Sorry about that. I probably should have at least attributed, anyway.
My bad.

Here are the significant headers: