Is this cat abandonment?

Old November 23rd 05, 04:01 AM
Dr Smithpeters

Default Is this cat abandonment?

If someone who says they may have your lost cat, releases that cat at
your apartment complex, and then refuses to pick it up when the cat is
recaptured, is that animal abandonment?

That's what has happened here in Hammond, Louisiana. The SLU co-ed
would not come get the cat she left here a week previous. When I told
her I would be phoning animal control, her father called me and said
he'd called the sheriff's department on me, saying I threatened his
little girl.

The deputies haven't arrived yet. It's been three hours.
Old November 23rd 05, 09:49 PM
Dr Smithpeters

Yes I did think he was my cat at first. What difference does that make
in whether or not the girl should have picked up the cat she took over
here?

Kiss my ass.

MaryL wrote:
"Dr Smithpeters" wrote in message

If someone who says they may have your lost cat, releases that cat at your
apartment complex, and then refuses to pick it up when the cat is
recaptured, is that animal abandonment?

That's what has happened here in Hammond, Louisiana. The SLU co-ed would
not come get the cat she left here a week previous. When I told her I
would be phoning animal control, her father called me and said he'd called
the sheriff's department on me, saying I threatened his little girl.

The deputies haven't arrived yet. It's been three hours.

You posted this same messae to alt.cats. Here is a copy of the response I
posted the

This is *not* the same story you told before. In your original description,
you said the college student called in response to your "missing cat"
posters, insisted on bringing the cat to you instead of you coming to her
home/apartment, and the *large* cat *escaped* from her arms because she got
out of her car with the unrestrained cat in her arms while the motor was
still running. At that time, you still thought the cat was yours later but
it later turned out not to be the same cat. From your own description, she
did not "release" the cat at your apartment complex, and she did not have
any experience with cats. You also called her "stupid," among other things.

At that point, several of us expressed concern for the other cat, which was
now itself a "missing" cat. I suggested that you post fliers in the
neighborhood where the cat was originally caught so the owners would know
where to look and mentioned (in two messages, I believe) that this meant
there was now another lost cat in an unfamiliar area with owners who would
not know where to look. I further suggested that you call the girl and ask
her to do it if you did not know where she lived (and it seemed reasonable
to me that she might not have wanted to tell a stranger where she lived).

Did you post these notices and/or ask the girl to do the same thing? Did
you take out any newspaper ads or contact animal welfare services for help?
It doesn't sound like it. In my opinion, *both* you and the girl share
moral responsibility. You are older, you are the one with some familiarity
with cats, and you are the one who incorrectly identified the cat as your
own (from a verbal description and even after seeing it escape from the
girl). Therefore, I would place primary blame on you. Why don't you take
action and try to identify the owners instead of expecting the girl to pick
up a cat when she obviously doesn't know the first thing about handling one?

MaryL

Old November 23rd 05, 09:52 PM
Dr Smithpeters

I did think it was my cat at first. But that's immaterial. The cat was
brought here by HER. She should take the responsibility.

The point is moot anyway. I have several prospects for good homes for
him. But I probably will be stuck with the neutering and shots bill.

Old November 24th 05, 12:21 AM
Dr Smithpeters

This is my last response:

If *I* had brought a cat to someone's complex and then lost it into the
woods . . . if that same cat had turned up a week later, I'd have the
decency to offer to come get it and then to assume responsibility for
finding it a good home. She didn't. She's an idiot, yes. But even
idiots can be responsible people. Haven't you seen Forrest Gump?

MaryL wrote:
Top post--
It makes a difference because I think *both* of you are responsible, but I
would put primary responsibility on *you* because you lost your cat and
started this whole scenario in motion. Moreover, you know something about
handling cats and she does not. Finally, don't you care enough about cats
to take some extra steps on your own without worrying about "her
responsibility"?

MaryL