OT - What's for dessert

Old November 22nd 05, 01:25 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default OT - What's for dessert

Jo Firey wrote:
"JBHajos" wrote in message
Harking back to the thread of "odd"/"different" cuisines of some
cultures, most of us (at least in the South) have heard of and/or
eaten Fried Green Tomatoes. Has anyone tried a green-tomato pie??
My son ended up with a super abundant crop of tomatoes in his garden.
Before the "deep freeze" hit us a couple weeks ago, he brought in a
huge batch, some ripe, some not, to prevent ruining them. What to do
with them? He found a recipe for a pie and made one for us. A tad
different, to say the least. Sliced, spiced up with cinnamon, cloves,
nutmeg, etc., baked in a double crust. I can't compare it to any
other taste 'cuz I've never tasted anything *like* it! Of course,
his tomatoes were Green Zebras (he specializes in heirloom crops) that
never turn red anyway so some were green, some ripe, and another
tomato, say beefsteak, might taste entirely different. Anyhoo, we
still have plenty left so it looks like we may have another tomato
pie for our Thanksgiving dessert. Different anyway!!

Jeanne

When looking for ways to use green tomatoes, consider any eggplant recipe
you might have. They really taste and handle much the same way. If I
didn't have such a hard time getting proper green tomatoes, I'd be trying an
eggplant parmesan recipe on them.

Green tomatoes are great for chow-chow (relish) also. We sure let a lot
of them go to waste. I should try this.

Old November 22nd 05, 04:13 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Haven't ever tried a green tomato pie...I like fried green tomatos too
much! They make a great chutney too. Especially good for all those
little odd-shaped ones you wind up with at the end of the season. I
always wrap up a goodly amount of green tomatos in layers of newspapers
in a box that I store in a cool place. They ripen slowly over time and
STILL have a better flavor than those tastless grocery store kind.

-PatM

Old November 22nd 05, 05:08 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Here's a site with lots and lots of recipes
http://www.recipesource.com/

When I put green tomato into the search box, it came up with lots of
recipes, some of which not actually for green tomatoes, but for green
something and tomatoes. Still there were lots of ones for green tomatoes
too. With all those tomatoes you have, maybe you'd want to experiment
with some of these.

--
Christine in Vantaa, Finland
christal63 (at) gmail (dot) com
Old November 22nd 05, 10:47 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"PatM" wrote in message
oups.com...
Haven't ever tried a green tomato pie...I like fried green tomatos too
much! They make a great chutney too. Especially good for all those
little odd-shaped ones you wind up with at the end of the season. I
always wrap up a goodly amount of green tomatos in layers of newspapers
in a box that I store in a cool place. They ripen slowly over time and
STILL have a better flavor than those tastless grocery store kind.

-PatM

this is my tip for left over tomato bushes; we ran a bit late in planting
last year, and had four huge bushes with about 70 tomatoes left on them, all
green, when the frosts started hitting. This is a tip from an australian
gardening show. pull the whole plant out and hang it upside down outside. I
did this and about 85% of the tomatoes ripened, I had beautiful tomatoes
nearly two months after season finished. I can tell you, I got some funny
looks from people driving past, looking at my plants drying; I think they
thought I was drying something else until they saw the tomatoes!!! LOL!!!
(my town was renowned for growing things of an illegal nature)

Old November 23rd 05, 03:07 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

meee wrote:
This is a tip from an australian
gardening show. pull the whole plant out and hang it upside down
outside. I
did this and about 85% of the tomatoes ripened, I had beautiful
tomatoes

I'm not sure if that would work in my climate here in the
states-Montana. Even in the garage they would freeze and we don't have
the room inside to hang tomato plants (my dh would freak!). If you
want funny looks, use old large-cup bras to hold your melons off the
ground!hehe

-PatM

Old November 23rd 05, 03:14 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On 22 Nov 2005 19:07:56 -0800, "PatM" wrote:

meee wrote:
This is a tip from an australian
gardening show. pull the whole plant out and hang it upside down
outside. I
did this and about 85% of the tomatoes ripened, I had beautiful
tomatoes

I'm not sure if that would work in my climate here in the
states-Montana. Even in the garage they would freeze and we don't have
the room inside to hang tomato plants (my dh would freak!). If you
want funny looks, use old large-cup bras to hold your melons off the
ground!hehe

-PatM

I remember a short article in _Mother Earth News_, years ago, by
someone who had a watermelon plant come up in a narrow strip of earth
between their driveway and house. There wasn't room to let the plant
sprawl all over, as watermelon plants usually do, so they rigged up an
improvised trellis and had a series of slings hanging from the edge of
the roof to support the melons. Otherwise, the melons' weight would
have pulled them off the vines long before they became ripe.

--
John F. Eldredge --
PGP key available from
Old November 23rd 05, 09:09 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

PatM wrote:

If you
want funny looks, use old large-cup bras to hold your melons off the
ground!hehe

LOL - that's getting really *literal* about it.

Joyce
Old November 23rd 05, 10:34 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

--

"PatM" wrote in message
ups.com...
meee wrote:
This is a tip from an australian
gardening show. pull the whole plant out and hang it upside down
outside. I
did this and about 85% of the tomatoes ripened, I had beautiful
tomatoes

I'm not sure if that would work in my climate here in the
states-Montana. Even in the garage they would freeze and we don't have
the room inside to hang tomato plants (my dh would freak!). If you
want funny looks, use old large-cup bras to hold your melons off the
ground!hehe

-PatM

ROTFLMAO!!! That's a good one....sorry my tip wasn't any use....I should
have thought of that, the most snow we got was a light sprinkle, and we have
the coldest weather in queensland (stanthorpe that is, my home town...i've
just moved to cairns, tropical north)