cat very very sick, HELP!

Old November 6th 06, 05:35 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
mittensowner via CatKB.com

Default cat very very sick, HELP!

I am taking him to the Vet, after finding out about his condition TWO days
ago and no vet was open on SUNDAY. Kiss my ass cybercat. He is NOT skin and
bones, and if all you have to attack is the way I type, then you need a life.

cybercat wrote:
I'm coming in on this thread late, but from a glance it looks like she
asked for help, went on a tyrade of expletives, then asked for us to pray
for her cat. She comes across either young and/or immature or a psycho
looking for attention.

The poor cat. Bitch can't be bothered to take her to the vet for DAYS
when she is clearly in distress and skin and bones, but she can take the
time to type lengthy, asinine excuses all in lower case. Ugh.

Old November 6th 06, 05:46 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Lynne

on Mon, 06 Nov 2006 14:18:18 GMT, "cybercat" wrote:

The poor cat. Bitch can't be bothered to take her to the vet for DAYS
when she is clearly in distress and skin and bones, but she can take the
time to type lengthy, asinine excuses all in lower case. Ugh.

I'm not anxious to jump into the mix here, but I think you were hard on
her. She's a college kid and probably hasn't seen her cat for weeks if not
longer. It seems her parents aren't close enough to the cat to notice the
problem, and she's in a panic. I would be too, in her shoes.

My concern isn't that she won't have him to the vet today, but whether or
not her parents will properly care for the cat when she's back at school.
College dorms don't allow pets.

I feel bad for the kitty AND for her. She's probably had this cat since
she was a little girl. I'd be absolutely wigging out if I were her, as a
matter of fact.

--
Lynne
Old November 6th 06, 05:47 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
mittensowner via CatKB.com

Alright, this is the last time I will be on here because this site has been
far less than warm for being animal lovers. I have found a place that will
see him because of our financial need so it will be less expensive and they
should be able to help. I will be rushing him there as soon as I post this,
and trust in the fact that whatever the outcome I will do what is needed to
make him better, or, if it is too late for that (kidneys) then I will either
make him comfortable or put him down, which would be the most painful for me
but the most humane for him. Thankyou to everyone who were compassionate and
gave me helpful advice. Enjoy your little site, you will not be hearing from
me again.

mittensowner wrote:
Hi, I need advice for my sick cat. He's going on 11 years old. He's gotten
thinner, when i pick him up he's much lighter and you can feel his spine
when you couldn't before. the most alarming thing, he has and thirst that
can't seem to be quenched. He will not hang out anywhere that he can't get
to water quickly, and he'll drink water out of anything: the toilet,
people's glasses, the sink, the dog's water dish, not to metion his own
which is huge. The other night i filled an old cool whip container with
water and put it down in my room for him so he could hang out with me and
still be close to water, he almost finished half of it in one sitting. As a
result, of course, he urinates in huge amounts at a time. I'm worried, he
seems to young to be knocking on death's door, but this is not normal
behaviour. Please help.

Old November 6th 06, 08:31 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"Lynne" wrote in message
m...
[...]

You're entitled to your opinion. But when a decent human being is
"wigging out" over their beloved sick cat, the first place they go is
to the VET. You find a way. I found a way, and so could this idiot.
As long as she stuck around and flamed those who called her on
her idiocy, she was here for attention. Poor little whoever, worried
about her cat. Ugh. The cat had been sick for days and was skin
and bones.

Old November 6th 06, 08:52 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
ChristyLynn

"mittensowner via CatKB.com" u28710@uwe wrote
Enjoy your little site, you will not be hearing from me again.

Bye.

Old November 7th 06, 01:44 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

Lynne wrote:
[...]

This is the impression I have gotten too. This is a sad situation, but
I would put the blame on the parents. They either didn't see it or
didn't care, and don't appear to be helping her at all. When I was in
college, I had to borrow money from my parents to handle vet situations
like these. A pet given to a kid is often a senior when that kid is in
college. So, the higher vet bills and emegencies show up when the kid
is still poor, and the parents may or may not help out.

If the cat is living with the parents, they should have taken
responsibilty for the health of the cat and taken him to the vet long
before he got to this stage. It sounds like they just don't care and
now it is emergency situation instead of routine care.

Old November 7th 06, 02:04 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

cybercat wrote:

You're entitled to your opinion. But when a decent human being is
"wigging out" over their beloved sick cat, the first place they go is
to the VET. You find a way. I found a way, and so could this idiot.
As long as she stuck around and flamed those who called her on
her idiocy, she was here for attention. Poor little whoever, worried
about her cat. Ugh. The cat had been sick for days and was skin
and bones.

Not every place has a vet open on Saturday and Sunday. The first post
appears to be on a Saturday.

If I see a problem and the vet is open, I take my cat to the vet. If I
find the problem at night when the vet is closed, I do some searching
online and ask questions on the group. I then go to the vet in the
morning, more informed than I was when I discovered the problem.

I've had a cat die in the middle of the night, and it was a horrible
experience. I would feel even worse if people attacked me for not going
to the vet when I couldn't possibly have done so. In that case, I had
taken the cat two days earlier, and gotten another checkup on his
injuries (injured stray that we found), and got some more medication.
The day he died, he seemed fine when I left for work. I returned home
at 11pm, and realized he was in trouble. We didn't have a 24 hour vet,
so I planned to be at the vet;s office at 7am, so that the first person
in could help him. He died at 3:06am.

Also, Kira just died a couple weeks ago. She was at the vet's office on
a Tuesday. It did not appear life threatening. The vet called on
Wednesday with her bloodwork results and told me to keep the
prescription doses the same as he stated the day before. On Thursday,
she seemed worse, so I was carrying her toward the door to go back to
the vet, and she died.

I'm not psychic. Neither is the vet. Had we known this was an emergency
situation, we would have done more treatment and more testing that
Tuesday. But I was going back as soon as I knew she was worse. It just
wasn't in time.

Rather than attacking people, why not encourage them? If you believe
she is refusing to go to the vet, then give her some strong reasons why
she really needs to go now. If the person mentioned financial problems,
then give suggestions (sell stuff, etc) and remind them why this is so
important.

Keep in mind that many people who ask these questions are new to pets,
new to adulthood, or just weren't raised with this kind of knowledge.
Instead of attacking them, EDUCATE them.

Why are so many cats not spayed or neutered? Because people are
ignorant about the problems. They were raised with the myths of one
litter for health, or they don't realize the health risks or how bad
the overpopulation problems are. Etc. Yelling at them just makes them
think we are crazy. But some calm education can make a huge difference.
When I joined this group many years ago, I was a young college student
who was raised by a backyard breeder. I grew up with a lot of these
myths and beliefs. It was the education from this group that taught me
the truth and helped me to stop my mom's breeding. Kira, who died 2
weeks ago at the age of 12 was the LAST of our breeding. When my mom
gave her to me, it was with the agreement that she would be bred.
Without this group educating me, Kira would have been bred. Instead she
and her mother were spayed at the same time, and our current cats are
adopted from a shelter. We are part of the solution now, instead of the
problem.

I know you care about the cats, and it gets frustrating to read
messages that involve cats who are suffering. But it won't help the
situation to yell, cuss, or attack these people. It just turns them
away. Even if the cat does die, if you keep the owner here, you have a
chance to educate them and help future cats.

Scream at your monitor and hug your own crew. But try to help these
people become better owners by educating them in a way that will
encourage them to listen and learn.

Old November 7th 06, 03:19 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

wrote
Rather than attacking people, why not encourage them? If you believe
she is refusing to go to the vet, then give her some strong reasons why
she really needs to go now. If the person mentioned financial problems,
then give suggestions (sell stuff, etc) and remind them why this is so
important.

Meghan, I really appreciate your view. I just disagree with you.

My reaction to someone who allows their cat to suffer until she
is wasted then comes and whines about it in a newsgroup before
it occurs to her to take the cat to the vet is the reaction this moron
got. That will likely *always* be my reaction.

I just don't see that changing.

Old November 7th 06, 06:13 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

cybercat wrote:
wrote
Rather than attacking people, why not encourage them? If you believe
she is refusing to go to the vet, then give her some strong reasons why
she really needs to go now. If the person mentioned financial problems,
then give suggestions (sell stuff, etc) and remind them why this is so
important.

Meghan, I really appreciate your view. I just disagree with you.

My reaction to someone who allows their cat to suffer until she
is wasted then comes and whines about it in a newsgroup before
it occurs to her to take the cat to the vet is the reaction this moron
got. That will likely *always* be my reaction.

I just don't see that changing.

Then call her parents and yell at them. How do you know that this girl
lives at home with her cat? How do you know that she watched her cat
waste away? Does she even have a job? I'm sorry, but the parents have
not stepped up and help. When my Maynard had an abcess, I needed to pay
$243 that day. That was a full week's paycheck then. My parents loaned
me the money.

She has already stated that the vet was closed when she came here.
Perhaps she was ignorant in believing people would help her here.

I have to admit that many of my recent questions went unanswered.
Everybody is quick to attack the newbies with ignorant questions, but
other people get ignored. I posted several questions about anemia, and
later about kidney failure. I never did get any real answers to my
questions.

If she did let her cat waste away, I see two issues. One, her parents
didn't raise her to take care of her pets. Perhaps they see them as
disposable. Or they just don't spend money on cats. They were there the
whole time and did nothing. They should have helped her with the care
or done it themselves. When Maynard wasn't feeling good, and I was
scheduled to work, my dad, the non-animal lover, took him to the vet
for me.

Or two, she was in denial. My mom had to take my sister's first cat to
be euthanized when it was obvious she was suffering. My sister was
unwilling to accept that it was the end. When her second cat became
ill, I warned her several times that he was losing weight, and was
taking the stairs very slowly. I recommended canned food multiple times
a day and some glucosamine. It took her another month to see it
herself. She did take him to the vet and started the canned food and
glucosamine. But it was too late. He continued to decline, and we had
to gently tell her it was time to let him go. Some people have a
harder time with facing illness or loss, so they let it go too long,
hoping it will disappear.