OT A thread for the brave...

Old November 27th 04, 07:41 AM

Yoj wrote:

American Association of Retired Persons. Membership gets you great
discounts.

If I may complain for just a moment... I was at first really pleased to
learn that I could get a decently priced health insurance plan through
AARP. But when I spoke to the AARP folks, I discovered that they're only
allowed to sell this one really cr*ppy plan to Californians. That's not
AARP's fault - it's this state's insurance commissioner's doing - but
that was a huge disappointment. I don't have health insurance right now,
so I was thrilled to be eligible for coverage. WHY DO THEY DO THIS???
People in other states can get all sorts of great insurance plans. What's
the deal with California? Do you know anything about this, Joy?

We now return you to the more general age-related discussion.

Joyce
Old November 27th 04, 11:51 AM
Adrian

Enfilade wrote:
I'm a relative newcomer here so....dare I ask...how old are the folks
on here, for those who want to share? Be as specific or general as
you please....

47

...and...how old do you think I am...

--Fil

21?
--
Adrian (Owned by Snoopy & Bagheera)
A house is not a home, without a cat.

Old November 27th 04, 06:16 PM
Howard Berkowitz

In article , "jmcquown"
wrote:

Ginger-lyn Summer wrote:
On 26 Nov 2004 07:08:09 GMT, itty (Sherry ) wrote:

Sweetie, those little chickies at McDonalds think anyone over the
age of 35 qualifies for the senior citizens discount. I think you
look pretty young for some one who's about my age (49).

Pam S.

Yes, we're the same age! 1955 was a very good year. :-) I won't be
50 till April. How about you?

Sherry

'Nother '55er here (July). No one at McDonald's has yet offered me
the senior citizens discount, but I'm expecting it any time now . . .

Ginger-lyn

My long-lost, John, is 58. It still surprises him when he's offered a
senior citizen's discount. Well no wonder... he acts like he's 12
sometimes
We stopped at a liquor store en route to Houston (man, it's hard to
find
a "wet" town in Arkansas!) and the woman said to him it's 10% off for
seniors. He looked at me, shocked, and I nudged him... Might as well
get
something out of getting older!

Along the same lines (and grinning very broadly, she adds) *I* was asked
show proof of being 21 last month. Wooo hooo!

My classic experience was in a hospital room at Georgetown, waiting for
an angioplasty. One of the Jesuit chaplains wandered in, introduced
himself, and inquired "Is this your wife and daughter?"

Ex #2 (then active #2) replied, "no, I'm the wife and this is the
ex-wife." (No, #1 is not old enough to be #2's mother).

It was the only time that I've seen a Jesuit at a loss for words. As he
quickly made an exit, #2 commented to #1, rather longingly looking at
the departing back, "We Catholics, Camille, refer to such as Father
What-a-Waste."
Old November 27th 04, 07:19 PM
Yoj

wrote in message
Yoj wrote:

[...]

I don't know anything about it, even though I live in California. I'm
on Medicare. The insurance I have through my last employer before I
retired is not supplemental insurance. They figure what they would have
paid, then see what Medicare pays. If Medicare pays less than they
would, they pay the difference. I think they've paid out something like
$4.57 since I went on Medicare. However, I keep it because of the great
prescription plan. If I order my prescriptions by mail I can get a
three month supply for $8 - $4 if it's generic.

However, my mother has had the AARP supplemental insurance for years.
She lives in Alaska now, but she had it for several years in California,
and thinks it's wonderful. If you aren't on Medicare yet, the plan
would be different.

I do have my car insured through AARP, and I'm very happy with that.

Joy