Good News, We Hope: OT, Probably Long, Boring and all the other warnings

Old August 22nd 04, 06:19 PM
Tanada

Yowie wrote:
Yay! Glad its good news.

Stress and steroids are *not* a good combination. Steroids can make people
very aggresive and short tempered whilst at the same time leaving htem
feeling very empowered (after a long time of feeling like crap, you suddenly
feel *great*).

Occasionally Ihave to take prednisone because of my asthma, and its like
I've got permanant PMS in mood, but feel like I could take on the world
(which of course makes it worse)

Poor Rob didn't get the empowered feeling. He got aggressive and short
tempered and felt as though his mind and body were being taken over. He
also says that he wasn't getting one bit paranoid, thank you very much.

Pam S. long suffering

Old August 22nd 04, 06:21 PM
Tanada

Susan M wrote:

When Sam was two years old, he had an asthma attack. The prednisone gave
him severe roid rage that lasted longer than seemed logical. We had to take
him home from a birthday party because he wacked the host on the head with a
rock. It was terrible.

Now, take that and add 40 years to the age level. No rocks, thank Bast,
but lots of anger.

Pam S. still long suffering not

Old August 22nd 04, 06:30 PM
Tanada

Susan M wrote:

Hey Pam:

I was away from the ng when you posted the original message. I'm glad that
Rob's tumor is under still control, though I don't see the original post to
see exactly what happened - purrs to all of you.

Briefly (though that isn't possible for me), we were coming back from
vacation, when Rob had a seizure. The ER doc had a CT done and told us
that there was some calcium build up, but nothing major that they could
see and for Rob to go on steroids and stay on his meds. (Rob had
decided that he couldn't remember to take his meds, so why bother) We
got back and called Rob's oncologist who had Rob get an MRI. The
radiologist reading the MRI decided that the tumors were growing back in
two places. We were then sent to UNC/Chapel Hill, where we saw a
neurosurgeon named Dr Mike Ewend, who said that he didn't see any signs
that the tumors were growing and then put the MRI films before the
experts in his group and on the tumor board. They agreed with him on
the tumors not growing and on what he wants next, Temodar for the next
12 months, or however long Rob can tolerate it, whichever comes first.
Rob's military oncologist, who's very good BTW, is wondering why put Rob
back on Temodar if there is no signs of it growing back. The oncologist
and surgeon now get to work out the best treatment for Rob. We're
celebrating.

Pam S.

Old August 22nd 04, 06:54 PM
Tanada

Marina wrote:

That is wonderful news, Pam. Many purrs to you all, and Nikki offers to come
over with her sharp claws if Rob "forgets" to take his medicine. I told her
he has quite enough klitty nurses around as it is.

Thanks Marina and Nikki. I'll definitely keep Nikki's offer in mind for
the next time Rob gets out of line.

Pam S.