Do Cats Hunt Squirrels?

Old October 23rd 03, 02:53 PM
Fat Freddy

So, I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with their
cats hunting squirrels?

The squirrels love to sit on the back fence and taunt the cats and make
them chase them. The squirrels have much better footing on the top of
the fence and sometiimes the cats fall off into the blackberry bushes.
Even though the cats never win, both they and the squirrels seem to
enjoy the game. When the cats get too close the squirrels jump off onto
a tree and yell at the cats from there.

However, in the front yard, where there is an oak tree, the squirells
have free reign to the yard to gather and bury the acorns and the cats
just watch them and never chase them.
Old October 23rd 03, 05:04 PM
Mich Somday

"Alley" wrote in message:

So, I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with their
cats hunting squirrels?

Hi Alley,

My tiny little calico girl, Creepie, is a very intrepid hunter who has
indeed snagged a few squirrels. They've all been pine squirrels and
flying squirrels, though. We don't have the big fox or gray squirrels
here. She's always come out unscathed and left us our gift of dead
rodent near our recliners. She's been known to kill small weasels and
full grown rabbits, too. Runtus and Iddy seem satisfied with mice,
birds, etc. Some cats, like Creepie, have more of a killer instinct
than others, I think. Some love the hunt; she loves the kill.

Good luck with your kitty. I've seen some pretty chubby felines react
with lightning-quick reflexes when it comes to getting what they want.
You just might have one of those!

Kindest Regards,

Mich

Old November 1st 03, 02:26 AM
rose ricciuto

My cats never brought a squirrel home but I used to have a house full of
chipmunks every summer - they never killed them - just brought them in
and let them go - then they were my problem and I had 5 cats! Of course
there was also the mouse that lived behind the refridgerator and ate dry
cat food - but that's another story.

Old November 1st 03, 12:42 PM
William Hamblen

On 2003-11-01, rose ricciuto wrote:

My cats never brought a squirrel home but I used to have a house full of
chipmunks every summer - they never killed them - just brought them in
and let them go - then they were my problem and I had 5 cats! Of course
there was also the mouse that lived behind the refridgerator and ate dry
cat food - but that's another story.

I occasionally find uneaten pieces of squirrel at the back door.

--
When the fog came in on little cat feet last night, it left these little
muddy paw prints on the hood of my car.

Old November 1st 03, 12:42 PM
William Hamblen

Old November 17th 03, 04:32 PM
Wendy

One of my cats did get a squirrel in her younger days so it can happen. She
was unmarked so it must have been a slow squirrel.

Wendy

"Alley" wrote in message
om...
Okay, this is what I'm hoping someone more knowledgable on
cat nature can help me with. Do cats normally hunt
squirrels?

Interestingly, I wondered this out loud to my boyfriend just
a few weeks before moving into our new place. Our new house
is in an area populated by a TON of squirrels. I wondered
what my indoor cat's first reaction would be to this since I
expected he would use a doggie door put in for our three
dogs to have access to the yard. Would he try to chase the
squirrels?

So, this afternoon, after doing some yard work, I walk
inside to my bedroom cleaning up and preparing to go on a
run. I'm standing at my bureau pulling socks out of my
drawer and reaching for my sneakers when I see grey fur
against the dark green hue of our carpeting. Not really
thinking, I thought to myself "I must've dropped some faux
fur fabric" and went to pick it up. But before grabbing it I
realized it was really a tree squirrel sprawled out lying
there dead! Imagine my surprise.

It's kinda odd because it was in a location cornered off in
our bedroom, not near any doors or windows (no chimmney in
our house), the only entrance point being the doggie door on
the complete opposite end of the house. I'm thinking one of
the animals had to have dragged it in through there, into
the bedroom. I determined it had to have been the cat since
he was the only animal who seemed to have known it was there
and went into the bedroom to look for it, almost checking to
make sure it was still there.

It just seems so unlikely that this little pudgy indoor cat
of mine could be such the quick
little hunter to catch a squirrel. If not, it's definitely
going to make me rethink this doggie
door business or risk making these not-so-cute discoveries
on a regular basis.

So, I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with their
cats hunting squirrels?

A.