Cats and getting on counter and tables -- healthy???

Old November 9th 04, 04:14 PM
Ringo Langly

Default Cats and getting on counter and tables -- healthy???

Hi,

A friend of mine moved in (first roommate in years), and with her came
two cats -- both boys, both fixed with front claws removed, one about
18 months (part simese part something else -- crosseyed) and one about
5 years old (calico and something else). Also my place is rather
large, but we keep the bedroom and bathroom doors shut when not home
so the cats don't roam where they shouldn't.

I'm generally not an animal person and never had a cat, but I figured
I'd give it a try. She and the cats moved in about 2 months ago, and
the issues I thought I'd have (cat box, smell, etc) are not issues at
all since she keeps the litter pan cleaned out and it's tucked back in
the laundry room. THe problem is the cats get on the kitchen
counters, tables, and all over the place where I didn't figure they'd
go. How healthy is this? With their paws in the litter pan then on
the counters do they track stuff everyplace? Also when cats sit do
their butts touch the counter or whatever they're on?

Sorry for the crazy questions, but though my roommate grew-up with
cats, she couldn't answer these questions. The cats get on the
counters and tables we use to fix food on and eat on, and though I've
made it a habit to clean everything before preparing foods or eating,
it just kind of grosses me out a bit. I'm generally a clean freak

Thanks for any info or suggestions... I'd prefer the cats didn't get
on the counters and tables at all - and they generally don't when
we're home - but I was off yesterday and noticed everytime I walked
into the kitchen they were lounging up there. I sprayed them with
water, tapped their head (not hard or anything), and said NO... but
didn't work.

Thanks again, and take care,

Ringo
Old November 9th 04, 04:31 PM
Bill Stock

"Ringo Langly" wrote in message
om...
[...]

I would not recommend it.

Just put the cats down when you see them on the counter and say NO! It
worked for our cat Cali, who learned to jump up when we weren't looking.
Now she's too old to jump up and the young one rarely jumps on the table.

I believe a squirt bottle or tinfoil on the table are effective deterrents.

Old November 9th 04, 05:08 PM
BudGan25

Barb wrote:

I have read that when children are raised with cats or dogs they generally
are healthier than when they are not. No one is healthier living in a germ
proof environment anyway. Plus, there is no such thing unless you have to
live in a bubble. My cats are all over the place. I do not put food
directly on the counters or tables, always on plates or a cutting board. If
I were you I would try to accept this because as you said the cats will be
on the counters when you are not home.

--
Barb
Of course I don't look busy,

Exactly. They will go where they want when you're not there anyway.
I usually make sure I clean the table or counters before eating or
preparing food. In 3.5 years with my two cats, there hasn't been any
sanitary issues in my house.

Old November 9th 04, 06:00 PM
Mary

"Ringo Langly" wrote in message
om...

Thanks for any info or suggestions... I'd prefer the cats didn't get on

the counters and tables at all

The only time my cats get on the counters is when I am
not looking. How do I know? Because I have never seen them on the counters
and tables. (I would have said they never get on
the counters but someone here pointed out that they do, just when I am not
looking!) I say NO loudly and clap loudly and essentially lunge at them
fromt he first day they are in the house, every time they try it. Talk to
your room mate and have her do the same thing. It works. (They may get up
there, but I never see any sign of it--no hair, footprints, chewed plants,
etc.)

Old November 9th 04, 06:07 PM
Mary

"Barb" wrote in message
erio.net...

If
I were you I would try to accept this because as you said the cats will be
on the counters when you are not home.

I don't think the OP needs to just accept it. For every cat owner whose
cats are all over the counters there are two with cats that generally
do not do this. The OP has taken these cats and their owner into
his home, and he does not like cats all over the counters. I don't like
it either, and it does not happen as far as I can tell. (I let mine roam the
house when I am away, but he shuts his cats up, so the chances of them
doing it when he is not there are slimmer.) Persistance in saying "NO!" and
putting (or shooing) them down works. My counters are clean and nobody
ever finds hair in the food, so it is working. I should add that my cats
have
all been adults when I adopted them, so adults can be trained.

Old November 9th 04, 07:43 PM
Ringo Langly

"Bill Stock" wrote in message ...
"Ringo Langly" wrote in message
om...
Hi,

A friend of mine moved in (first roommate in years), and with her came
two cats -- both boys, both fixed with front claws removed, one about
18 months (part simese part something else -- crosseyed) and one about
5 years old (calico and something else). Also my place is rather
large, but we keep the bedroom and bathroom doors shut when not home
so the cats don't roam where they shouldn't.
[snip]

I would not recommend it.

Just put the cats down when you see them on the counter and say NO! It
worked for our cat Cali, who learned to jump up when we weren't looking.
Now she's too old to jump up and the young one rarely jumps on the table.

I believe a squirt bottle or tinfoil on the table are effective deterrents.

Hi Bill,

I never thought about putting tinfoil or the squirt bottle on the
counter. They have learned to run when we even lift the bottle, so
that might actually work.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Ringo
Old November 9th 04, 07:47 PM
Ringo Langly

"Barb" wrote in message . verio.net...
I have read that when children are raised with cats or dogs they generally
are healthier than when they are not. No one is healthier living in a germ
proof environment anyway. Plus, there is no such thing unless you have to
live in a bubble. My cats are all over the place. I do not put food
directly on the counters or tables, always on plates or a cutting board. If
I were you I would try to accept this because as you said the cats will be
on the counters when you are not home.

Hi Barb,

I don't generally put food directly on the counter, but I'd like to
think if something falls on the counter, whether a spoon or bit of
food, that it's not covered in the same germs in the kitty pan. I
don't want to treat my counters and tables at home like I treat tables
at restaurantes where if something touches it it's to be avoided.

My habit is to use Lysol disinfectant spray on the counters almost
daily, whether cooking or not. I was just wondering what others do to
either train the cats to not jump on the counters or what they do to
disuade the cats from doing it. I've heard of a spray you can use
that cats don't like -- one friend called it 'anti-catnip' because the
smell or something in it cats can't stand. Any idea what this is?

THanks again,

Ringo
Old November 9th 04, 07:53 PM
Mary

"Ringo Langly" wrote

They have learned to run when we even lift the bottle, so
that might actually work.

See, they can be trained!