best Kitty Litter?

Old February 12th 06, 04:09 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Default best Kitty Litter?

we have cats, male, fixed, ayear old indoor cats, we always buy them
food for indoor cats
got them at the SPCA, even though we have a small place I asked if we
sahould have 2 litter boxes, they said yes since some cats don't like
sharing....we've tried so many different kinds, have spray called OUT
for urine and feces odor and a Arm & Hammer product that you sprinkle
on top of the litter, they help some, and one of cats, not sure which
one doesn't cover his poop.....I scoop them every day...please don't
suggest one of those machines that self cleans they run $100 and we
can't afforfd....as always apprecaite your suggestions.

ensoul

Put your ear down close to your soul and listen hard.
~Anne Sexton

Old February 12th 06, 04:23 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"ensoul" wrote in message
oups.com...
we have cats, male, fixed, ayear old indoor cats, we always buy them
food for indoor cats
got them at the SPCA, even though we have a small place I asked if we
sahould have 2 litter boxes, they said yes since some cats don't like
sharing....we've tried so many different kinds, have spray called OUT
for urine and feces odor and a Arm & Hammer product that you sprinkle
on top of the litter, they help some, and one of cats, not sure which
one doesn't cover his poop.....I scoop them every day...please don't
suggest one of those machines that self cleans they run $100 and we
can't afforfd....as always apprecaite your suggestions.

What exactly is the problem?

Odor?

If so, scoop more often and ventilate. You can open your windows for
a while each day, even when it is cold.

Don't try to cover up the smell, just clean the box more often.

Simple, eh?

Old February 12th 06, 04:33 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

ensoul wrote:
we have cats, male, fixed, ayear old indoor cats, we always buy them
food for indoor cats
got them at the SPCA, even though we have a small place I asked if we
sahould have 2 litter boxes, they said yes since some cats don't like
sharing....we've tried so many different kinds, have spray called OUT
for urine and feces odor and a Arm & Hammer product that you sprinkle
on top of the litter, they help some, and one of cats, not sure which
one doesn't cover his poop.....I scoop them every day...please don't
suggest one of those machines that self cleans they run $100 and we
can't afforfd....as always apprecaite your suggestions.

ensoul

Put your ear down close to your soul and listen hard.
~Anne Sexton

How many cats and exactly what is the issue?
Old February 12th 06, 07:24 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"ensoul" wrote in message
oups.com...
we have cats, male, fixed, ayear old indoor cats, we always buy them
food for indoor cats
got them at the SPCA, even though we have a small place I asked if we
sahould have 2 litter boxes, they said yes since some cats don't like
sharing....we've tried so many different kinds, have spray called OUT
for urine and feces odor and a Arm & Hammer product that you sprinkle
on top of the litter, they help some, and one of cats, not sure which
one doesn't cover his poop.....I scoop them every day...please don't
suggest one of those machines that self cleans they run $100 and we
can't afforfd....as always apprecaite your suggestions.

ensoul

I have one cat and two litter boxes. She likes to pee in one and poop in the
other. When it comes to litter, I use one that is clumping and flushable.
When I detect an odor, I scoop and flush. Usually twice a day. I use the Arm
& Hammer on occasions when she's taken a notion not to bury. Don't just
sprinkle it on top, mix it in.

As a result of my regime, the odor is around for as long as it takes me to
scoop, flush, sprinkle and mix. About 2 minutes?

You didn't mention how many cats you have, but if you only have room for one
box, perhaps consider a flushable clumping litter and scoop more often.

Old February 12th 06, 09:43 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Suddenly, without warning, ensoul exclaimed (12-Feb-06 3:09 AM):
we have cats, male, fixed, ayear old indoor cats, we always buy them
food for indoor cats
got them at the SPCA, even though we have a small place I asked if we
sahould have 2 litter boxes, they said yes since some cats don't like
sharing....we've tried so many different kinds, have spray called OUT
for urine and feces odor and a Arm & Hammer product that you sprinkle
on top of the litter, they help some, and one of cats, not sure which
one doesn't cover his poop.....I scoop them every day...please don't
suggest one of those machines that self cleans they run $100 and we
can't afforfd....as always apprecaite your suggestions.

ensoul

Put your ear down close to your soul and listen hard.
~Anne Sexton

You don't mention exactly how many cats. Many people suggest you should
have one more litterbox than you have cats. I do realize that it may be
a space issue, but you should have at least as many boxes as cats.

If the problem is odor, try a different cat food. I've just recently
put Meep The Non-Burying Cat on Royal Canin (Mature Indoor, I think),
and she's gone from Oh, My God What An Amazing Stink to Oh, I didn't
Realize She Had...

As for litter, World's Best Cat Litter is, well, the best. Flushable,
covers smell well when she does bury, lasts a long time if I clean
regular, clumps just enough.

Are they both using the boxes, or do you have a problem with one or the
other going outside the boxes?

jmc
Old February 12th 06, 05:37 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

jmc wrote:
If the problem is odor, try a different cat food. I've just recently
put Meep The Non-Burying Cat on Royal Canin (Mature Indoor, I think),
and she's gone from Oh, My God What An Amazing Stink to Oh, I didn't
Realize She Had...

I agree. Feeding a high quality food can really make a very big
difference in the smell and amount of feces in the litterbox. We use
Swheat Scoop and have been happy with it.

Old February 12th 06, 05:41 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

ensoul wrote:
we have cats, male, fixed, ayear old indoor cats, we always buy them
food for indoor cats
got them at the SPCA, even though we have a small place I asked if we
sahould have 2 litter boxes, they said yes since some cats don't like
sharing....we've tried so many different kinds, have spray called OUT
for urine and feces odor and a Arm & Hammer product that you sprinkle
on top of the litter, they help some, and one of cats, not sure which
one doesn't cover his poop.....I scoop them every day...please don't
suggest one of those machines that self cleans they run $100 and we
can't afforfd....as always apprecaite your suggestions.
ensoul

Put your ear down close to your soul and listen hard.
~Anne Sexton

I like SwheatScoop. It's wheat, plain wheat. The others use clay or
other things which are somewhat associated with serious medical
problems. I gather you're really asking about the smell? I don't
smell anything with the wheat product for some reason. It's much
more expensive unless you can find wheat on farms?

Arm & Hammer, was that ordinary baking soda? Put some in the
bottom of the box before filling. Might help and it's inexpensive?
You would sprinkle this on the bottom of the litter, not the top,
according to ShweatScoop. Maybe sprinkle both ways. But it's the
bottom if not deep enough that accumulates nasty stuff.
Are you filling to at least 3 inches deep too? That helps a lot.
Measure with a ruler, 3 inches is very, very deep.

You might try scooping more than once a day. Basically that's all
the $100 machine does. Scoop, poop, scoop, poop, scoop, poop...
Or is that poop, scoop, poop, scoop, poop, scoop, poop, scoop...

About your sig, Anne Sexton sure did not take her own advice in
regards to trusting her soul to her the_rapists. Especially that one
in Boston. What an unethical *******, and directed the family clinic?
And the previous one in Philly who released her tapes but did nothing
about the bum in boston? Very sad.

Old February 13th 06, 12:33 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

the smell, both boxes get cleaned everyday...opening window is not an
option I ilive in State it's 20 degree's and with wind chill much
worse....I have tried OUT a spary to get rid of urine & feces odor,
also arm & hammer stuff that you sprinkle both of these products only
work temporarily

ensoul

Old February 13th 06, 12:34 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

sorry 2 cats and 2 litter boxes, they're brothers

ensoul

Old February 13th 06, 12:59 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

ensoul wrote:
sorry 2 cats and 2 litter boxes, they're brothers

ensoul

Well, if the smell is the big issue you can start with what they are
consuming... because usually if the food they are consuming doesn't
agree with them or isn't the best what comes out the other end will
smell horribilis! :-D

So, what do you feed them? ...and have you considered switch, gradually,
to something else?

Another odd cat behavior re litter box Sandy McDermin Cat health & behaviour 5 January 14th 05 07:21 AM
Training an Older Cat to Use a Litter Box? Mary Cat health & behaviour 0 December 1st 04 06:51 AM
Kitty litter cake Hans Schrøder Cat anecdotes 0 November 4th 04 05:43 PM
Kitty litter cake Yoj Cat anecdotes 2 October 3rd 04 03:50 AM
Kitty goes _outside_ the litter box... help! Scott Cat health & behaviour 20 January 9th 04 03:36 PM