Sad bitty news

Old June 30th 07, 06:55 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley

Default Sad bitty news

I caught up with the lady who had the bitty with dragging legs who
seemed to be getting better

A few days after her report that bitty was moving her back legs she
woke up to find she Rosie (the bitty) was dragging her legs again and
this time, she wasn't eating and had wet herself

So she did what had to be done and Rosie is now running round the
other side of the Bridge

She couldn't believe the vet through..anyone heard anything like this?

She uses this vet because one of them is excellent with cats- a few
months ago one of her outdoor cats came home with a front leg slashed
to the bone in several places. The vet saved the leg rather than
amputating and afterwards admitted he'd wanted to prove he could do
microsurgery so he had tried (he did say if he realised he couldn't he
would have amputated) and saved the cats front leg (She has some scars
and is a bit stiff) he then charged her £200 because he said it had
been an experiment to see if he could do the surgery

Anyway on the dark day she took Rosie that vet wasn't on and she got
another vet who said well there were things they could try and she
said no..Rosie by now was covered in her own excrement

So the vet told her to go and they would put Rosie to sleep later and
she said she wanted to be there and this vet would not have it!!!

As she said you don't really think straight at the time- so in the
end, she got an agreement that Rosie would be taken over the Bridge
there and then but she wouldn't be there she would wait outside- the
vet said that she was so upset she might upset Rosie.

Then the vet wouldn't let her take Rosie and said it would cost £100
for a box to take Rosie home as she said "I have duties to my other
cats even like food and bills" and through she wanted to take Rosie
and bury her in the garden with her other cats she left her and felt
so bad about it

Then 3 days later she got a condolance card with a bill for £75. for
Rosie's cremation

And in the meantime. she spotted a cat she knows lives in the area and
was obviously pregnant so she took the cat back to the house only to
find she was what she calls "Another Xmas present" ie she was cute on
Decemenr 25th and now she's grown up and pregnant so they didn't want
her anymore

As she said "Oh well I just have some quiet places in the house" so
she went from 7 cats to 8 and now 12 as Momma cat has had 4 kittens

Still she reckoned she was up at the moment with resident 13..she has
managed to get the feral tom she thinks is responsible for most
kittens in the neighbourhood into her shed and he's going to the vet
on Tuesday to be parted with his bits and then she'll take him in

People like that deserve medals

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

Old June 30th 07, 07:03 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Karen

On 2007-06-30 12:55:35 -0500, Lesley said:

[...]

I feel so bad for the lady That vet needs to have a letter written
to the hospital about that treatment!! Like it isn't hard enough?
She certainly sounds like an angel though. Doing her best for the
population.

Old June 30th 07, 07:09 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Irulan

Medals indeed. God bless the good lady.

Lily & her mama

--
Irulan
from the stars we come

ups.com...

Old June 30th 07, 07:51 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Lesley" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

What?? There is no way the vet could have stopped her taking her home to
bury, or to charge £100 for a box. She would have been quite within her
rights to take her home in a blanket or a cardboard box of her own.
Although, as you say, it's not the time we want to argue these things. I am
sure, if she wanted to, she could refer this to the Royal College of
Veterinary Surgeons as a breach of ethical practice. Maybe not right now
while she is feeling so bad, but later on. Or maybe someone could do it on
her behalf now. That is truly disgusting.

Then 3 days later she got a condolance card with a bill for £75. for
Rosie's cremation

The condolence card would have been shipped right back to the place the sun
don't shine. The vet had absolutely NO RIGHT to refuse Rosie's body to come
home for burial or to pretend she needed a £100 box to do so here in the UK
and I presume you are talking about here. That vet needs reporting to The
College, Lesley.

Tweed

Old June 30th 07, 08:44 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sherry

On Jun 30, 12:55 pm, Lesley wrote:

So the vet told her to go and they would put Rosie to sleep later and
she said she wanted to be there and this vet would not have it!!!

As she said you don't really think straight at the time- so in the
end, she got an agreement that Rosie would be taken over the Bridge
there and then but she wouldn't be there she would wait outside- the
vet said that she was so upset she might upset Rosie.

Then the vet wouldn't let her take Rosie and said it would cost £100
for a box to take Rosie home as she said "I have duties to my other
cats even like food and bills" and through she wanted to take Rosie
and bury her in the garden with her other cats she left her and felt
so bad about it

Then 3 days later she got a condolance card with a bill for £75. for
Rosie's cremation

snipped
Lesley

Yes, she deserves a medal. She sounds like a wonderful woman, someone
I would like to have for a friend.
The vet, OTOH, deserves to be reported to the Board. That is just
crazy! I am
afraid I would have made an awful spectacle of myself in her position.
I seriously
don't have patience for B.S. anymore, and I don't care if it's a
degreed professional.
He was *wrong*.
Sherry

Old June 30th 07, 09:06 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jofirey

"Lesley" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

And vets like that deserve to be peed on by every cat they treat from here
to forever.

Possible she was too upset, but very unlikely. She sounds like she has some
experience with what has to be.

Some places there are laws against sending the body home from the vet, once
they die at the vet they have to be cremated. But £100 for a box is plain
insane. So is £75 for cremation if my memory of currency exchange hasn't
gone completely.

£ is still more than $ isn't it?

I last paid about $30 and that included a very nice box for the ashes.

Jo

Old June 30th 07, 09:10 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Lesley wrote:

So the vet told her to go and they would put Rosie to sleep later and
she said she wanted to be there and this vet would not have it!!!

As she said you don't really think straight at the time- so in the
end, she got an agreement that Rosie would be taken over the Bridge
there and then but she wouldn't be there she would wait outside- the
vet said that she was so upset she might upset Rosie.

Then the vet wouldn't let her take Rosie and said it would cost ?100
for a box to take Rosie home ...

Then 3 days later she got a condolance card with a bill for ?75. for
Rosie's cremation

I have to admit that I'm very suspicious about this. How do we know
for sure that Rosie was really put down? I mean, they thwarted her every
effort to witness the euthanasia or see the body afterward. And we know
that the other doctor in this practice likes to experiment... I find it
creepy.

And in the meantime. she spotted a cat she knows lives in the area and
was obviously pregnant so she took the cat back to the house only to
find she was what she calls "Another Xmas present" ie she was cute on
Decemenr 25th and now she's grown up and pregnant so they didn't want
her anymore

As she said "Oh well I just have some quiet places in the house" so
she went from 7 cats to 8 and now 12 as Momma cat has had 4 kittens

Still she reckoned she was up at the moment with resident 13..she has
managed to get the feral tom she thinks is responsible for most
kittens in the neighbourhood into her shed and he's going to the vet
on Tuesday to be parted with his bits and then she'll take him in

People like that deserve medals

They sure do! What a wonderful person!

Joyce
Old July 1st 07, 12:56 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jack Campin - bogus address

the vet told her to go and they would put Rosie to sleep later and
she said she wanted to be there and this vet would not have it!!!
As she said you don't really think straight at the time- so in the
end, she got an agreement that Rosie would be taken over the Bridge
there and then but she wouldn't be there she would wait outside- the
vet said that she was so upset she might upset Rosie.
Then the vet wouldn't let her take Rosie and said it would cost £100
for a box to take Rosie home as she said "I have duties to my other
cats even like food and bills" and through she wanted to take Rosie
and bury her in the garden with her other cats she left her and felt
so bad about it
Then 3 days later she got a condolance card with a bill for £75. for
Rosie's cremation

That sounds really creepy. Our vet charged 38 pounds to euthanize
Ishmael a few months ago, we held him while she was doing it, and
we took him back home straight away. This is not a vet known for
being cheap.

Something is really not right with a control-freak price-gouging
practice like you're describing. I would get them investigated.

Old July 1st 07, 01:55 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley

On Jun 30, 11:51 am, "Christina Websell"
wrote:
"Lesley" wrote in message

The condolence card would have been shipped right back to the place the sun
don't shine. The vet had absolutely NO RIGHT to refuse Rosie's body to come
home for burial or to pretend she needed a £100 box to do so here in the UK
and I presume you are talking about here. That vet needs reporting to The
College, Lesley.

She has complained to the other vet and he got back to her saying he
would look into it as she says the problem is the practice has one
good vet and he wasn't on (The one she has written to) and she's never
used any of the others before (and won't again) but she stays with the
practice for this one vet.

I am the same, I use a branch of a group of practices and I have heard
horror stories about other branches including the fact that one branch
housed the vet responsible for the sad case of "Jaws" and another case
where a vet resigned because of being urged to prescribe unessecary
treatment to animals (so the vet who "treated" Jaws must have been
towing the company line)

But i've had the same vet since she was wonderful when I went with
Fugazi (RB) as an emergency and had to have her put to sleep-
considering without having seen the cat, she agreed to tag her on as
an emergency appointment at the end of her clinic, then took time to
explain, discuss all the options and support me on reaching the
conclusion none of us want to reach (and this was the first time and
remember Fugazi had been fine the day before so it was all so sudden)
and took me through the whole thing without ever once making me feel
hurried even through she should have finsihed half an hour before

She's been consistently excellent with my cats including giving me
over the phone advice free of charge and I trust her totally. I only
go there because of her and should she ever move practices I would go
with her (Within reason, she's from Australia so if she ever went
home.....)

I dread having to use an emergency vet

Old July 1st 07, 02:11 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley

On Jun 30, 1:06 pm, "jofirey" wrote:

Possible she was too upset, but very unlikely. She sounds like she has some
experience with what has to be.

Actually she's never had to have a bitty put to sleep before, she said
that was what upset her the most- she's used to older cats and she
said that's sad but her cats have always had a good life at least
after she's opened the door to them but this was her first bitty (and
she's fostered a lot of bitties including she was proud to tell me two
orphaned litters including one where their mum died giving birth and
never lost one before apart from stillbirths)

So is £75 for cremation if my memory of currency exchange hasn't
gone completely.

I paid £75 in total for examination, enthanasia (forgive spelling),
and cremation when Fugazi crossed the Bridge and that was in 1999. I
also was given the option (at less cost) to take her home but we don't
have a garden but the vet was perfectly happy to allow me to take her
back in the box I had brought with me wrapped up in a towel. Also bear
in mind this was an emergency appointment and because it was my first
time the vet pre-sedated Fugazi on my lap so I could hold her while
she went to sleep before giving the final injection . Also that £75
included her time when she should have finished her clinic half an
hour before and superb care for both me and her by the vet (I think
they should have charged me extra for the box of tissues I went
through)

Please note I use that vet 8 years on and trust her implicitly with
my cats