Clyde - King of the Foodbowl

Old October 31st 03, 08:09 PM
Bev

Default Clyde - King of the Foodbowl

I wonder if this is a 'male' thing. Clyde is at the top of the food
chain and makes no bones about it. Feeding time goes something like
this.

Biscuits rattle into into the dish in front of FSP. She prefers
biscuits above all other food. FSP delicately begins to nibble. Clyde
arrives having heard the rattle from the bedroom. He puts one
authoritative paw on FSP's head. She draws back from the plate knowing
who is in charge. Bonnie arrives from the patio and observes the
situation. She too knows the peck order. Both females watch as Clyde
gobbles down his fill of biscuits. He sits up and Bonnie moves in, she
is second in the food chain. FSP waits patiently, food is not that
important to her. When Bonnie has finished she knows it will be her
turn (if there is anything left). I refill the plate!

This morning I put down half a small tin of Gourmet Pure Cuisine with
choice beef and kidney. FSP had one nibble before Bonnie arrived and
shoved her face in the plate. But she didn't last long either. Clyde
arrived. He just put his paw on Bonnie's head which I guess meant 'bug
off'. She did. Guess when you are as big as Clyde you really are King
of the Foodbowl. Clyde liked the food so much he ate the lot! I had
to wait until he departed before emptying the rest of the tin into the
plate for the girls.

Bev
--
God may have created man before woman but there is always a rough draft
before the masterpiece.
Old October 31st 03, 08:37 PM
c.dossman

Bev wrote in :

[...]

I too have a Bonnie and Clyde, though I generally call Clyde Squeek cause
he's always talking. Clyde is relentless with Bonnie, but the old girl
just jumps in my lap for protection.
Old October 31st 03, 11:03 PM
John Biltz

On Fri, 31 Oct 2003 11:09:59 -0800, Bev wrote
(in message ):

I mostly feed Bruiser and Maya dry food and it is out all the time. Maya
quit eating wet food although she really liked the gravy, a good year
before Bruiser was born. But I give them tuna twice a week. A treat
they both love. Maya eats very delicately lapping up the tuna with her
tongue, impeccable manners. Her manners would be acceptable at a tea
with the Queen. Bruiser shoves his face in the bowl inhaling the food
with disturbing noises. He would have acceptable manners with starving
wolves or rugby players. I always ask Maya if she is a hungry cat.
Asking Bruiser would just be a rhetorical question he is always hungry
for tuna. (I admit a certain couriousity on how much he could eat if I
indulged him but I think the answer would scare me) When I ask Maya
Bruiser is already heading full speed ahead for the kitchen counter. The
first word Bruiser learned was hungry, although I think he thinks it
means tuna. I feed them in seperate bowls but needless to say Bruiser is
done as Maya is just getting started. When Bruiser is finished he sees
nothing wrong with going over to slow poke Maya's tuna and getting some
of hers. Maya does not agree. She drives him off and then for some
reason then abandons the food as though he has ruined her appetite. If I
can, I feed Maya outside and Bruiser inside. Maya doesn't mind waiting
to be served. With Bruiser waiting is just terrible. If I can't I feed
them, wait the 30 seconds or so for Bruiser to finish and carry him
outside so Maya can have a meal in peace.

Old November 1st 03, 12:10 AM
Victor Martinez

We feed wet food twice a day, and we usually put down 5 bowls. We have 7
cats, so most of the time two just wait their turn. Usually it's Basho
and Issa who prefer to wait. Fez and Rufous are the first to finish
eating, and coming back for seconds and thirds as soon as they can fit
it in... Luna tastes from every bowl, every time. Xoxo will eat from
whatever bowl is available. Maya will share a bowl with a kitten, but
not with her sister or Xoxo.

--
Victor Martinez
Send your spam he

Old November 1st 03, 06:57 AM
Marina

"Bev" wrote
I wonder if this is a 'male' thing. Clyde is at the top of the food
chain and makes no bones about it.

I have two bowls, and Frank must always eat exactly half of what is in each
bowl, though it is the same food. Nikki usually sits beside Frank while he's
inhaling his food, watching him and purring. She doesn't start eating until
he has finished. I wish she would learn Maya's good manners, because when
Nikki starts eating, she first of all drags the food somewhere else,
preferably the living room rug, eats half of it and leaves the rest for me
to step on. Then she goes back and gets her next piece of food, takes it
somewhere else in the flat, etc. An hour after I put down the food for them,
there are scraps of food everywhere. People wonder why I always wear sandals
at home.

--
Marina

Old November 1st 03, 09:26 AM

John Biltz wrote:

Maya eats very delicately lapping up the tuna with her
tongue, impeccable manners. Her manners would be acceptable at a tea
with the Queen. Bruiser shoves his face in the bowl inhaling the food
with disturbing noises.

This made me chuckle, especially the part about "disturbing noises."

I have at times had cats that had very different styles of eating, where
one cat would end up getting all the food because he/she was much more
aggressive than the others. My way of dealing with it is to feed them
in separate rooms. My two foster kittens shove their faces into anything
at all resembling food and inhale it all, and my other cats have no chance
against them.

So, I have a separate food plate in the bedroom, and when it's feeding
time, I go into the bedroom first and feed the kittens, then close the
door, and feed Roxy and Smudge. All the cats know the drill: the kittens
race into the bedroom (twining around my feet as I walk and nearly
tripping me). When we get into the bedroom, the two of them spin around
in circles with excitement (each in his own private circle - it's really
funny to watch). Once I've fed them, I go back out and close the door
behind me, and find R & S patiently waiting, knowing it's their turn now.

Since both Roxy and Smudge like to eat a little, go away, and come back
a few minutes later to eat some more, I keep the kittens in the bedroom
for about 10 or 15 minutes, until I'm sure R & S have had enough. Then I
let them out, and it's like they're out of the starting gate - they race
for the kitchen to clean up the leftovers, which by then are fairly slim
pickings. But it seems to work well for all concerned.

Joyce
Old November 1st 03, 07:41 PM
SUQKRT

In article ,
wrote:

John Biltz wrote:

[...]

I gave Spicey some thin sliced turkey yesterday. First she licked it. Then she
pawed it. Then she dragged it off the plate, subdued it and ate it.
Suz
Iron Chef Macmoosette
Thank Heavens There's Only One

Chocolate heals all wounds.
Old November 2nd 03, 05:55 AM
Marina

"CATherine" wrote

I don't suppose it would work to close off the kitchen while she eats
or feed her in the bathroom or laundry room. I have seen a lot of dogs
eat like that, including mine. but I had never heard of a cat.
Although some, including Sheba, will take food out of the bowl, but
eat it right beside the bowl.

Nikki has to take her prey somewhere safe. ;o) She also throws it around by
standing far from the food bowl, then streeeeetching out a paw and snagging
a bit of food on her claw, and then shaking the paw vigorously. She then
goes flying after the piece of food that she threw. I guess it's just more
fun for her if she can hunt her food.

I've tried shutting Nikki in another room to eat, but this violates the
There Shall Be No Shut Doors clause of the Ancient Law of Cats, so we end up
having two yowling and scratching cats on each side of the door, who will
only continue eating when the door is opened.

--
Marina, Frank and Nikki

Old November 2nd 03, 10:12 AM
polonca12000

Awww, how adorable!
Best wishes,
--
Polonca & Soncek

Old November 2nd 03, 02:24 PM
Lisa Katt

Victor Martinez skrev i meddelandet ...
We feed wet food twice a day, and we usually put down 5 bowls. We have 7
cats, so most of the time two just wait their turn. Usually it's Basho
and Issa who prefer to wait. Fez and Rufous are the first to finish
eating, and coming back for seconds and thirds as soon as they can fit
it in... Luna tastes from every bowl, every time. Xoxo will eat from
whatever bowl is available. Maya will share a bowl with a kitten, but
not with her sister or Xoxo.

--
Victor Martinez
Send your spam he
Email me he

LOL Victor. That sounds very much like this old game I use to play
sometimes.
http://www.actioncat.com/feedthecats.html

Elisabet