How do other People Feel about the subject of cat enclosures.

Old August 23rd 07, 01:48 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Sherry

Default How do other People Feel about the subject of cat enclosures.

On Aug 22, 11:03 am, "sheelagh" u33188@uwe wrote:
For some weeks I have been pondering the subject of how our friends in the
USA view Cat enclosures. Whether the vast majority use them? Or do most
people not use them? I don't really know because the subject has never really
arisen.
As most of you know, I decided that the time had come for me to choose to
contain my cat's after Ringo was left for dead. I don't regret it, in fact, I
have become a great advocate for them. I just wondered how most other people
view cat enclosures in other places in the world. Not just the USA, also,
Canada, Australia, Europe, everywhere really. I said USA, because the vast
majority in this group are from the USA.
I think the reason that we are starting to use them, is because we feel
guilty about the fact that we have taken a part of their liberty has been
taken from them, so I feel guilty, & allowing my cats out in an enclosure
eases that guilt somewhat.

When I tell you that people look @ you like you have lemon lip's, & you lost
the plot when you tell them about it. Sometimes it is simply easier to tell
people that we have them because we have rescue cat's, & pedigree cat's, it
seems to mind set better with them. It is something they can almost guarantee
will explain "why" I use one. If I were to say because it is for the
protection of my cats, they simply wouldn't understand; what protection?

Personally, I take some of my older masters & mistress's out on leads and
harness, but the younger one's and the none-fulltimers I only allow only out
into the cat pen, in case I loose them. with the older one's, I know that I
only have to call them & they will bound back to me. but, I wouldn't like to
take that risk.
I would be interested to know how you think of them & whether they are
something that you would consider... or not, as the case may be? I wonder if
you feel it would confuse the cat, or frighten them, or whether you simply
don't think it is safe for you to do- And why, as long as you don't mind
sharing it. It's not just the cats behaviour here that interests me- It is
how we as people view the subject, & why if no one minds sharing what they
feel about them please?
TIA,
Sheelagh "o"

--
Sheelagh

Actually, most of the people I know with strictly indoor cats have
some kind of enclosure. Some are large
and elaborate, and some are just a small deck enclosed with wire, just
large enough for the cat to enjoy
lying in the sun. Our shelter has a fairly large enclosure. IMO, it is
a great compromise for the cat to enjoy
the outdoors and still be safe.
We enclosed an existing patio at my daughter's house, and installed a
cat flap for access. They absolutely loved
it, and it was fairly cheap to build.

Sherry

Old August 23rd 07, 01:49 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Cheryl

On Wed 22 Aug 2007 12:34:19p, cindys wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav
:

In the first situation, once the fleas were in the building, we
could not get rid of them. This was in the days before
Revolution et al and our cats were forced to endure several flea
"dips" only to have fleas again within the week. The apartment
was flea-bombed and the carpets and furniture were treated by an
exterminator every six weeks! And to no avail. After a year and
a half of this, the only way we escaped the fleas was to buy a
house and move out of the apartment. I had the new house
pre-exterminated (before we moved in), and I also had the
exterminator treat the furniture one last time. I never want to
endure that ordeal again.

BTDT and it's no fun! I had a flea infestation in an apartment once
for the same reason you did - someone else's pet was infested and
the fleas travel looking for food in the same way ants, roaches and
other pests do. I have never been so covered with flea bites, both
before or since. I set off bombs at the height of the infestation
when I was leaving for vacation, so the place was vacant for a
week. I got trapped in the apt after setting the bomb, but that's
another long boring story.

I have an enclosure for my cats, and I have to say I've never seen
a flea on them. The mosquitoes are what I worry about, so they
don't go out as often as they'd like.

--
Cheryl

Old August 23rd 07, 01:51 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Sherry

On Aug 22, 7:48 pm, Sherry wrote:
[...]

Sherry- Hide quoted text -

Sheelagh, here are a couple of views of the enclosure I was talking
about that we built.
http://members.aol.com/sriddles/room1.jpg
http://members.aol.com/sriddles/room2.jpg

Sherry

Old August 23rd 07, 01:56 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Matthew

"Sherry" wrote in message
ps.com...
[...]

My outdoor enclosure is called a Florida room. They love it

Old August 23rd 07, 02:02 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Cheryl

On Wed 22 Aug 2007 08:51:20p, Sherry wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav news:1187830280.468648.236850
@x35g2000prf.googlegroups.com:

Sheelagh, here are a couple of views of the enclosure I was talking
about that we built.
http://members.aol.com/sriddles/room1.jpg
http://members.aol.com/sriddles/room2.jpg

Those pictures were the inspiration for my cat's enclosure. Before
you posted that a few years ago I'd never heard of such a thing. Even
now I don't know anyone who has anything like this. People often ask
me how I did mine, but one of my neighbors thought for sure it must
be for birds. The cats might like that if it were true!

--
Cheryl

Old August 23rd 07, 02:08 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Sherry

On Aug 22, 8:02 pm, Cheryl wrote:
On Wed 22 Aug 2007 08:51:20p, Sherry wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav news:1187830280.468648.236850
@x35g2000prf.googlegroups.com:

Sheelagh, here are a couple of views of the enclosure I was talking
about that we built.
http://members.aol.com/sriddles/room1.jpg
http://members.aol.com/sriddles/room2.jpg

Those pictures were the inspiration for my cat's enclosure. Before
you posted that a few years ago I'd never heard of such a thing. Even
now I don't know anyone who has anything like this. People often ask
me how I did mine, but one of my neighbors thought for sure it must
be for birds. The cats might like that if it were true!

--
Cheryl

I'd forgotten I still had those pics. She has long since sold that
house and moved. The cats
don't have an enclosure where they are, and it will take a lot of red
tape, permits, and approval
of the Homeowner's Association for her to get another one. The cats
are so old now, they just
sit out in the back yard with them in the evenings since they don't
have outdoor access anymore.
They do have a goldfish pond in the back yard now though. I imagine
that's pretty entertaining!

Sherry

Old August 23rd 07, 03:29 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cindys

"Cheryl" wrote in message
[...]

--------
Yes. Where I live, heartworm is a very big problem. While it's true that a
mosquito can get in the house, the likelihood of being bitten is far greater
if the cat goes outside.
Best regards,
---Cindy S.

Old August 23rd 07, 03:59 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Sherry

On Aug 22, 7:49 pm, Cheryl wrote:
[...]

Are they bad there this year? Wonder if there's an effective mosquito
repellent
for the enclosure. The vets here really push the heartworm preventive
meds too.
Sherry

Old August 23rd 07, 05:17 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Suzie-Q[_2_]

In article 7709f626f2119@uwe, "sheelagh" u33188@uwe wrote:

[...]

In fact, I've been thinking seriously about building one. I like to let
my cats outdoors, but with a significant guarantee of safety. I think
anyone who has outdoor cats should use an enclosure.

--

8^)~ Sue (remove the x to email)
~~~~

As seen on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/wacvet

http://www.suzanne-eckhardt.com/
http://www.intergnat.com/malebashing/
http://www.intergnat.com/pussygames/
Old August 24th 07, 02:59 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Cheryl

On Wed 22 Aug 2007 10:29:43p, cindys wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav
:

Yes. Where I live, heartworm is a very big problem. While it's
true that a mosquito can get in the house, the likelihood of
being bitten is far greater if the cat goes outside.

I need to just start giving them the heartworm preventative and let
them out. Though I don't know if there are side-effects. Need to
research.

--
Cheryl

OT Joke Subject: I Cannot Tell A Lie Matthew Cat anecdotes 0 July 25th 06 10:30 AM
ping people with cat enclosures Helen Wheels Cat anecdotes 7 March 2nd 06 02:22 AM
No Subject Cat anecdotes 0 July 12th 05 01:00 AM
Cat enclosures Karen Cat anecdotes 21 March 30th 05 08:37 PM
since we were on the subject... [email protected] Cat anecdotes 32 May 7th 04 04:30 AM