Story: 'Calvin' by Charles Dudley Warner [MP3]

Old August 18th 11, 04:58 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
rh

Default Story: 'Calvin' by Charles Dudley Warner [MP3]

I came across 'Calvin,' a short story by the great 19th Century writer and
poet, Charles Warner, in a book of Cat Stories. It is the best biograph of
a cat I have ever read, and never fails to choke me up.

As related in the story, Warner received Calvin, a Maltese, from Harriett
Beecher Stowe, the author of Uncle Tom's Cabin, the antislavery novel that
became a sensation in it's time.

I would like to share this story with the group in the form of a spoken word
edition I found online. It is public domain, so download freely!

https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0By1...mYTkz&hl=en_US

Terry

Old August 18th 11, 06:16 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
MLB[_4_]

On 08/18/2011 09:58 AM, rh wrote:
I came across 'Calvin,' a short story by the great 19th Century writer and
poet, Charles Warner, in a book of Cat Stories. It is the best biograph of
a cat I have ever read, and never fails to choke me up.

As related in the story, Warner received Calvin, a Maltese, from Harriett
Beecher Stowe, the author of Uncle Tom's Cabin, the antislavery novel that
became a sensation in it's time.

I would like to share this story with the group in the form of a spoken word
edition I found online. It is public domain, so download freely!

https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0By1...mYTkz&hl=en_US

Terry

What a wonderful story! Thanks for posting it so we can enjoy knowing
Calvin too. MLB
Old August 18th 11, 09:21 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
rh

MLB writes:

On 08/18/2011 09:58 AM, rh wrote:
I came across 'Calvin,' a short story by the great 19th Century writer and
poet, Charles Warner, in a book of Cat Stories. It is the best biograph of
a cat I have ever read, and never fails to choke me up.

As related in the story, Warner received Calvin, a Maltese, from Harriett
Beecher Stowe, the author of Uncle Tom's Cabin, the antislavery novel that
became a sensation in it's time.

I would like to share this story with the group in the form of a spoken word
edition I found online. It is public domain, so download freely!

https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0By1...mYTkz&hl=en_US

Terry

What a wonderful story! Thanks for posting it so we can enjoy knowing
Calvin too. MLB

Thank you, MLB, for your kind comments. Yes, Calvin sounds like he was quite
a fellow. I am thankful to Warner for memorializing him with such a
beautifully written piece. Regards,

Terry

Old August 20th 11, 10:18 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

rh wrote:

I came across 'Calvin,' a short story by the great 19th Century writer and
poet, Charles Warner, in a book of Cat Stories. It is the best biograph of
a cat I have ever read, and never fails to choke me up.

As related in the story, Warner received Calvin, a Maltese, from Harriett
Beecher Stowe, the author of Uncle Tom's Cabin, the antislavery novel that
became a sensation in it's time.

I would like to share this story with the group in the form of a spoken word
edition I found online. It is public domain, so download freely!

https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0By1...mYTkz&hl=en_US

Terry

I just clicked this link and it took me to a page on "Google docs" that
has a single link on it saying "Download (18MB)". At the top of the screen
it says "lordsofthehousetops_16_various.mp3". No idea what that's about -
it's not a clickable link. The page was posted by "Rockinghorse Winner".

I don't want to click the Download button until I'm sure this was the
one you intended to send. There is no other information about the story
on this page (it even says "No preview available").

Could you confirm, please?

Thanks...

--
The sun rose slowly, like a fiery furball coughed up uneasily onto a
sky-blue carpet by a giant unseen cat. -- Michael McGarel
Old August 21st 11, 12:18 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Patok[_2_]

wrote:
rh wrote:

[...]

I tried it, and it is indeed a mp3 file containing the Calvin story. I listened
only to the beginning to make sure what it was. I don't know if that's what he
intended to send, but it sure looks err... sounds like it.

--
You'd be crazy to e-mail me with the crazy. But leave the div alone.
*
Old August 21st 11, 03:48 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
MLB[_4_]

On 08/20/2011 03:18 PM, wrote:
rh wrote:

[...]

FYI I read it on "anecdotes". It's a great story. Best wishes. MLB
Old August 21st 11, 10:20 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

MLB wrote:

On 08/20/2011 03:18 PM, wrote:
rh wrote:

[...]

What? You posted about it on anecdotes, saying "there's a great story
on rpch+c, you should all go read it." I didn't see that story posted over
there.

Joyce

--
There is, incidently, no way of talking about cats that enables one
to come off as a sane person. -- Dan Greenberg
Old August 21st 11, 07:51 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
MLB[_4_]

On 08/21/2011 03:20 AM, wrote:
MLB wrote:

On 08/20/2011 03:18 PM,
wrote:
rh wrote:

[...]

Should have read: I posted on Anecdotes that there was a great story
about Calvin. Sorry for the confusion,. MLB
Old August 22nd 11, 02:18 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Bill Graham

MLB wrote:
On 08/21/2011 03:20 AM, wrote:
MLB wrote:

On 08/20/2011 03:18 PM,
wrote:
rh wrote:

[...]

wishes. MLB What? You posted about it on anecdotes, saying "there's a
great story
on rpch+c, you should all go read it." I didn't see that story
posted over there.

Joyce

Should have read: I posted on Anecdotes that there was a great story
about Calvin. Sorry for the confusion,. MLB

It is a nice story. I downloaded it, converted it to a PDF file, and saved
it on my hard disk. If anyone wants it, just give me an email address, and I
will send it.