AGGGH! #3: Handling Litter Needs While En Route?

Old November 12th 03, 05:41 AM
Mike Harris

Default AGGGH! #3: Handling Litter Needs While En Route?

Finally, a logistical problem. I'll be transporting Charlie around
Thanksgiving (assuming he's well) for a semi-extended trip. How do cats
handle litter needs when they are away from home? Specifically, I'm
wondering how he might handle elimination while in the carrier? Are
there litter box solutions that are built for inside carriers? My mom
can set him up with a sort of little personal litter box when he gets to
their house, but I'm wondering how he might handle himself en route.
Estimated travel time in the carrier, each way, is about 5.25 hours.

My thanks in advance to everybody who answers ... this new cat-daddy is
finding himself a l'il overwhelmed at times ...

Mike
Old November 12th 03, 04:21 PM
Me

Mike Harris wrote:
Finally, a logistical problem. I'll be transporting Charlie around
Thanksgiving (assuming he's well) for a semi-extended trip. How do cats
handle litter needs when they are away from home? Specifically, I'm
wondering how he might handle elimination while in the carrier?

We usually waits. But iffin we gotta pee, we jest do.

Snowflake

Are
there litter box solutions that are built for inside carriers? My mom
can set him up with a sort of little personal litter box when he gets to
their house, but I'm wondering how he might handle himself en route.
Estimated travel time in the carrier, each way, is about 5.25 hours.

Weze waitz.

My thanks in advance to everybody who answers ... this new cat-daddy is
finding himself a l'il overwhelmed at times ...

Mike

Hoomin note: I've travelled a bit with cats. Including trips longer than
5.5 hrs. They will wait until the destination and then use the litter
box, unless they really really have to pee, in which case they will just
do it! You could put a disposable diaper on the bottom to absorb any
accidents, but I suspect it may just end up shredded.

Julie

Old November 13th 03, 07:57 AM
Miss Violette

Soft here,

What we do is this. Go to walmart, go pass the throw away pans and get into
the plastics area, there is these boxes with lids, the smaller size is
called a shoe box, the next size up is called a sweater box. Get whichever
one is his size, then fill a large ziplock bag with litter. After each time
you stop, for your own needs or coffee or gas or food. Get all of your
things done, get back into vehicle, open box, pour in litter, let cat out of
carrier, show him box, let him play and look for signs of "{going andif he
goes great, if not after five to ten minutes, cuddle him, put back in
carrier and put lid on your porta potty and away you go. Remember, do his
potty stop last thing before you leave so you don't get excited and get out
of the car with him not in carrier. Good luck, this works with all six of
ours. Soft, sorry for rambling

Old November 13th 03, 05:28 PM
onlyThreeCats

Cats will use the litter box often only once, sometimes twice, in a
day.

I have travelled with up to four cats, and my original two meezers,
now sadly departed, were pretty long-haul cats. I had a small
litterbox for such things, and left it in the back of the car on the
floor. Mostly, though, two things happen:

-- They held on until they arrived at their destination, making the
litter box pointless
-- They got scared/nervous/carsick and had an accident wherever they
were at that moment - making the litter box pointless.

My parents go RV'ing with their little squeaker, and after being
sick/nervous the first couple of trips, he hops into the truck, checks
for his dishes and litter, yells at my dad if they're not in the right
place, and he'll happily ride along for a day-long stretch and use the
box whenever he needs to, moving or not.

You can buy pads at medical pharmacies, that are kind of like the
suggested diaper but bigger, that are absorbent with a stay-dry top.
They're meant for invalids, to line beds in homecare or hospitals.
Or, just use some old rags or something. It makes the carrier more
comfortable and if there is an accident, it's a little less unpleasant
for kitty to be confined with something absorbent and a bit damp than
it is to have a puddle slushing around their feet. The bonus of the
disposable pads is you can pull off at the next road stop and change
them if there is an oops.

Be patient with the little guy. If the trips are semi-frequent, he'll
figure out what's going on and you'll both hit on a system that works.

Johanna