Advice on Initial Stocking of Supplies for Kitten?

Old November 9th 03, 01:40 AM
Gabrielle

Great list. My only thoughts --

Never needed Nature's Miracle. Wouldn't buy it until I needed it.

Cat bed? That's the big thing in the bedroom you're used to sleeping in.
If my cats are sleeping with me, they are on the couch or recliner.
Occasionally one will nap in a basket I lined with old towels, but
that's rare.

A brush should come earlier rather than later. The earlier they get used
to gentle grooming, the better.

If you're using litter, you'll probably need a scoop to sift it with.

Enjoy Charlie!

Gabrielle

Mike Harris wrote:

Hello. I have just adopted a very cute 10-week-old little kitten. I'll
be a good guy with him -- my sister is raising two cats, and my parents
are raising another two, so I'm fairly familiar with cats. Plus, we
raised a cocker spaniel. Plus, basically, I want to do right by this
little guy.

The shelter named him Charlie, and I may keep that. He's being neutered
over the weekend (or, as the parlance seems to be now, 'altered'), so I
pick him up Monday afternoon. I'm going shopping this weekend for
supplies.

Financially, I should be able to handle things, but I can't immediately
buy every single luxury a cat should have. I wanted to run my shopping
list by people. Prices are based on what's listed on Petsmart.Com.

The initial supplies I'm picking up a

Dry kitten food -- roughly $8-15
Wet kitten formula -- roughly $7
"Nature's Miracle" mess clean-up stuff -- $6
Bag of mice -- $4
-- (although I'm sure he'll nap for much of the day while I'm gone, I
want him to have something to play with in my absence)
Litterbox -- $10-30
Litterbox liners -- $2.50
Litter -- $7-9
Bed -- $20-25
Separate water and food dishes -- $6 to 12

From my next paycheck (this next Friday, the 14th), I'm going to get a
plastic carrier for about $20-25 so I can take him home to the folks
with me for Thanksgiving and Christmas. Also, see below for a vet
charge ...

From the 11/30, 12/15, or 12/31 checks, I'll be getting a brush, kitty
nail clippers, and a laser pointer.

Medically, the shelter has taken care of his initial Felocell
inoculation, will give him a free rabies vaccination on 12/7 (he's too
young for it at the moment), gave him deworming on 11/2 (as a
precuationary), and was cleared for feline leukemia on 11/3. He
evidently had fleas but was dosed with Revolution and was cleared by
their vet as flea-free.

Sometime between November 22 and 26, I'll be paying $82.49 to a local
vet: office charge, Felocell CVR booster shot, and fecal sample.

Anything you see missing? And, would you classify the missing thing as
an:

* urgent -- needed before your cat arrives Monday
* can wait a week or two
* semi-luxury item -- get it over the next four or five weeks

Mike

Old November 9th 03, 09:44 AM
Miss Violette

leave the liners alone, and start the brushing as soon as possible. any
bowls will do but I would opt for non plastic. toys are a luxury as they
will decide what in your house is a toy, and a harness and leash are
essential to make them easier to travel. luxuries I would go for are a
water fountain and an electric litter box. These are both pricier and are
definitely a luxury but make both of your lives better. You are gonna do
fine, soft
Mike Harris wrote in message
[...]

From my next paycheck (this next Friday, the 14th), I'm going to get a
plastic carrier for about $20-25 so I can take him home to the folks
with me for Thanksgiving and Christmas. Also, see below for a vet
charge ...

From the 11/30, 12/15, or 12/31 checks, I'll be getting a brush, kitty