Need help with female cat urinary problems

Old February 28th 07, 07:02 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

Default Need help with female cat urinary problems

Hello. I have a female cat, approx. 10 yrs old that has odd urinary
issues. She tends to strain and hesitate, may spend a long time in the
litter box then run out as if she's running away from something. Then
she finds other places to try to "go", usually on any clothes on the
floor, sometimes even my bed. She doesn't have an infection, she's
been checked for stones and blockages. She's not under any more stress
than usual. Aside from a small bladder, several vets have found
nothing wrong with her and I don't know what to do. I've used open
boxes, closed boxes, changed litter and am considering taking the box
away entireley since we have a cat door-could use advice on this
thought as well. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Old February 28th 07, 11:47 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cindys

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello. I have a female cat, approx. 10 yrs old that has odd urinary
issues. She tends to strain and hesitate, may spend a long time in the
litter box then run out as if she's running away from something. Then
she finds other places to try to "go", usually on any clothes on the
floor, sometimes even my bed. She doesn't have an infection, she's
been checked for stones and blockages. She's not under any more stress
than usual. Aside from a small bladder, several vets have found
nothing wrong with her and I don't know what to do. I've used open
boxes, closed boxes, changed litter and am considering taking the box
away entireley since we have a cat door-could use advice on this
thought as well. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

-----------
I think you should keep on taking her to veterinarians until you find an
answer. From your description, it seems obvious that your cat is having pain
on urination. I don't know if cats ever get interstitial cystitis, but if
you told me a human had painful urination but no infection, stones, etc,
that's what I would think of. Do you have any vets in your area who
specialize in urological problems or internal medicine?
Best regards,
---Cindy S.

Old March 1st 07, 04:43 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rene S.

What kind of a diet is she on? She would probably do best on a canned
only diet (high quality canned food). Please don't take away the
litterbox. Your problem might only get worse.

Have you thought about getting a second opinion from another vet?

Old March 1st 07, 05:06 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cindys

"cindys" wrote in message

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

---------------
I came across this by accident:
http://www.ichelp.org/research/CatRe...ndsICClue.html

It's about feline interstitial cystitis. Has the doctor checked the size of
your cat's adrenal glands?
Best regards,
---Cindy S.

Old March 1st 07, 05:39 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
barb

I had a cat with a urinary problem and one vet after another could find
nothing wrong with x-rays, blood tests, urine, the works. They would put
her on a couple days of cortisone and ten days of antibiotic and she'd get
better but then get worse again. Finally, she was worse before she even
finished the antibiotic.

A vet I had liked before finally examined her. I asked him to make a
treatment plan for her, not like what she had before because nothing had
worked. I said that even if the plan didn't work, at least we were trying
something else. He did try something else and it did work. She lived
another 10 years without the problem. What he did was put her on cortisone,
I think it was called prednosilone or something like that. He said she
couldn't be on it forever but he slowly tapered it off over a couple months.

--
Barb
Of course I don't look busy,

Old March 2nd 07, 12:35 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
jmc

Suddenly, without warning, exclaimed (01-Mar-07
3:32 AM):
Hello. I have a female cat, approx. 10 yrs old that has odd urinary
issues. She tends to strain and hesitate, may spend a long time in the
litter box then run out as if she's running away from something. Then
she finds other places to try to "go", usually on any clothes on the
floor, sometimes even my bed. She doesn't have an infection, she's
been checked for stones and blockages. She's not under any more stress
than usual. Aside from a small bladder, several vets have found
nothing wrong with her and I don't know what to do. I've used open
boxes, closed boxes, changed litter and am considering taking the box
away entireley since we have a cat door-could use advice on this
thought as well. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I'd get a second opinion. What you describe is *exactly* what my cat
does when she's having a acute cystitis attack; she's desperate to go
and trying to find someplace where it doesn't hurt so much.

She's probably got crystals. Has she been checked for that? There's
two kinds, maybe your cat has the rarer kind, which I don't remember the
name. I think the regular kind is struvite crystals.

I don't have time tonight for my usual long post but this is the regime
that works for Meep:

1. Water everywhere. Filtered or bottled if you're in a hard water
area. Near where she sleeps. It's really important she drinks plenty!
2. Canned food.
3. Vet formula urinary control food - wet if she'll eat it but dry if
she won't eat the wet (Meep won't).
4. Glucosamine supplement. Lines the bladder & protects it from crystals.

Meep had two attacks within a 6 month period (the second she was
completely blocked, only passing droplets of red pee!). With these
management changes, she hasn't had an attack in, I think, nearly two
years. She gets one small can of food/day ('cause I can't get her to
eat more canned), with a dose of glucosamine . Her dry food is now a
50/50 mix of Royal Canin urinary control and Iams Mature.

jmc