Question

Old November 5th 04, 07:40 AM
Yoj

"Marina" wrote in message
Yoj wrote:
I don't intend to be critical of how other people do it. I'm just
wondering about the ramifications. I'd appreciate any input before

decide for sure how I'm going to introduce the addition to my

family.

In my family, we've always just plonked the new cat in among the old
ones and let them work it out among themselves. It's never taken long
before the new cat was accepted, but then the new cat has always been

young one. I don't know how well this would work with an older cat.
Also, I'd say that if you want to take a kitten, take two, so they can
play with each other, as Lindy might not want to play as much as a
kitten would. My E0.02. )

--
Marina, Frank and Nikki

Thanks, Marina. That's the way we've always done it in the past. Both
Skeeter (RB) and Lindy were over a year old when I got them. If I end
up with a kitten, I'll seriously consider getting two. However, if I
can find a suitable one that's between one and two years old, that's
what I'd like to get. I feel that there are a lot more people wanting
to adopt kittens than grown cats, so I'd rather save an older one.

Joy

Old November 5th 04, 07:42 AM
Yoj

"Sherry " wrote in message
Yoj wrote:
I don't intend to be critical of how other people do it. I'm just
wondering about the ramifications. I'd appreciate any input before

decide for sure how I'm going to introduce the addition to my

family.

I always shut the new one up in the guest bedroom for at least a week.
Sometimes longer if Bootsie's in a "mood." That gives some "sniff

under the
door" time. Just depends on the cats, really. If I just had Yoda and

Frank,
who are very welcoming of newcomers, I could probably just plunk the

newbie
down and they'd be fine with it.
Sherry

Thanks, Sherry. So far I haven't had any problems with the plonking
method, but of course all cats are different. Lindy is the last cat
I've acquired, and she and Skeeter got along okay after the first
suspicious period, but Skeeter has never been on the receiving end of
having a new cat brought in.

Joy

Old November 5th 04, 07:43 AM
Yoj

"Seanette Blaylock" wrote in
message ...
Marina had some very interesting things to
say about Question:

I don't intend to be critical of how other people do it. I'm just
wondering about the ramifications. I'd appreciate any input before

decide for sure how I'm going to introduce the addition to my

family.
In my family, we've always just plonked the new cat in among the old
ones and let them work it out among themselves. It's never taken long
before the new cat was accepted, but then the new cat has always been

young one. I don't know how well this would work with an older cat.
Also, I'd say that if you want to take a kitten, take two, so they

can
play with each other, as Lindy might not want to play as much as a
kitten would. My E0.02. )

Your family's approach is what my family's always done, and we've
never had anyone hurt during the getting-to-know-you stage. OK, some
initial hissing/growling/cursing, but generally from a polite
distance. I've found that mostly, cats who don't like each other tend
to simply avoid each others' company if at all possible.

Thanks, Seanette. That method has always worked well for us so far.

Joy

Old November 5th 04, 08:08 AM
Jeanette

Yoj wrote in message
. com...

I don't intend to be critical of how other people do it. I'm just
wondering about the ramifications. I'd appreciate any input before I
decide for sure how I'm going to introduce the addition to my family.

Joy

I've introduced adult cats to each other three times. The first time was
when I was looking after Fuzzbox, who used to be my cat, and then was my
mothers. He came to stay with us a few months after we adopted Izzi and
Fenda. We were living in a small flat, and there was nowhere to isolate him,
so I just let him out in the living room straight away. He knew me already
of course, and instantly acted as if he was the resident cat, and the girls
were interesting visitors. They were all roughly the same age (he was three,
the girls were two) and they got on just fine almost straight away.

Ripley was a stray when he moved in with us, and as Izzi and Fenda were
indoor / outdoor cats anyway, they already knew him as a neighbourhood cat,
so introductions weren't necessary. Izzi complained about him almost
constantly though, she didn't like him, and never grew to like him. They
rarely fought though, and Ripley was always the perfect gentleman with her.

Introducing three year old Cav to seven year old Ripley was much easier than
expected. We kept Cav in the conservatory for the first day and night, apart
from an hour when he was allowed to explore the living room. That meant that
they could watch each other all night through the glass doors, and also get
the chance to get each other's scent. We allowed them to mix the next day,
supervised, and took Cav back to the conservatory for a 'time out' if they
got too worked up. After three days, we were leaving them alone together.
They did have some spectacular fights and screaming sessions over the next
couple of months, but they get on very well now, and seem to enjoy each
other's company.

Jeanette

Old November 5th 04, 08:20 AM
Yoj

"Jeanette" wrote in message
. uk...

Yoj wrote in message
. com...

[...]

Thanks, Jeanette.

Joy

Old November 5th 04, 11:03 AM

On Fri, 05 Nov 2004 08:08:02 GMT, "Jeanette"
wrote:

Yoj wrote in message
.com...

[...]

Mine still still have the occasional screaming session, and it's been
over a year.
Two of my three will be beating eachother up, hissing and screaming,
etc. an hour later they will be sleeping together and grooming
eachother.
Cats.