For the love of ...

Old July 6th 06, 04:35 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Default For the love of ...

Monique Y. Mudama wrote:

But peeing on my shirt *within two minutes of me stepping into a
bubble bath*? That's just cruel.

But if you were going to take that shirt off & take a bath anyway...?

I still wouldn't want anyone peeing on it ... and anyway, she peed so
much, and the shirt is water repellant enough, that a bunch leaked out
onto the floor when I tried to pick it up.
--

But I don't understand why doing it less than 2 mins. before you were
going to step into the tub is more cruel than doing it some other time.

Robert

Old July 6th 06, 06:50 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Monique Y. Mudama wrote:

It's like saying "Why would it matter that your kid decided to throw a
tantrum right before you went to a fancy dinner?" Of course you can
still go to the dinner, but your mood has been disrupted. It would be
nice if I had been even-keeled enough to not have my mood disrupted,
but given that I was already sleep-deprived and at the end of my
tether, that wasn't terribly likely.

Not to mention that the point of taking the bath was to *relax*!!

(I have to admit being confused by your initial post at first, too, but
I thought you were saying that you were *wearing* your shirt into the
bath, and she peed on it in the bath! And that didn't make sense, so I
was scratching my head about that... but decided I was just addle-brained
due to exhaustion.)

Joyce
Old July 6th 06, 06:58 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Winnie

Monique Y. Mudama wrote:
Because I'd just sat down in the tub to relax, and so of course I had
to get out of the bath sopping wet, pick up the soiled clothing, get a
start on cleaning up the mess ... after which the bath wasn't nearly
as relaxing or luxurious as I'd meant it to be.

Now you get me thinking of taking baths again instead of showers. Have
you tried Kneipp herbal bath products? They were recommended to me by a
massage therapist. I just love them.

Winnie

It's like saying "Why would it matter that your kid decided to throw a
tantrum right before you went to a fancy dinner?" Of course you can
still go to the dinner, but your mood has been disrupted. It would be
nice if I had been even-keeled enough to not have my mood disrupted,
but given that I was already sleep-deprived and at the end of my
tether, that wasn't terribly likely.

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully

Old July 7th 06, 02:58 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
badwilson

On 2006-07-06, Winnie penned:

You probably feel like a single parent, right? I know the feeling
well. Don't know how many times I wish my mother is here to pill
Rusty. She is very good at it.

Maybe, if the single parent thinks the other parent should be there
helping!

I can't imagine my mom trying to pill a cat. Not a patient woman.

Well, Oscar is your baby, Right? It stands to reason that you'd feel
overwhelmed with caring for her at times. I understand that this is
her first illness, right?

Whenever Rob was elsewhere, I felt cheated. He was out having fun
while I was stuck at home caring for the kids and cats. I would tell
myself that getting shot at was not fun, but there was this little
part of me that felt that I had it rougher than Rob did. I can laugh
about it now, but I'd get mad, then feel totally guilty for getting
mad, but still be mad for having to deal with all the emergencies
myself. I've never told Rob how I felt, as I always felt bad about
it and figured that he didn't need me adding to the burdens he was
dealing with, as he missed a lot of the kids' milestones.

Pam S.

That's where I feel I'm lucky. I *know* I've got it better than Dennis
when he's away. He's stuck in a camp in Burma with no drinking. The
closest town is 20 min away on a dirt track, has no electricity,
therefore no refridgeration. He goes in once a week and has a couple of
warm beers, ugh.
He works for 2 weeks with "Cardiac Bob" the engineer who thinks the
helicopter is going to crash and thinks everything is a major
catastrophe. Then he works 2 weeks with "Regular Bob" the engineer who
is a tad more normal than "Cardiac". Besides the Bobs, there is no one
to socialize with except 4 French guys who's English is very poor.
He flies with Burmese co-pilots who's flying skills are so limited he
refers to them as "seat warmers". They cannot be relied upon in
emergencies and Dennis is essentially flying the helicopter alone.
He has to take his meals in a caffeteria at set times and his flying
often makes him miss lunch. Then he gets extremely hungry and has to
wait for dinner. He can make a protein shake in his room but nothing
else because any food in his room will attract masses of cockroaches.
In the caffeteria they have the same thing every Monday, etc. He gets
ill at least once every time due to their crappy hygiene.
He flies 4 days a week and that only takes up half the day. The rest of
the time he sits around in utter boredom.
Compared to that, I'm living the life of Riley! I know it's evil, but
I'm kind of glad about that. I've said to Dennis that I would have a
much harder time dealing with him being away if he was in some fun place
that I'd like to visit too. Yeah, I know, I know, it's selfish, but I
just can't help it!
--
Britta
Purring is an automatic safety valve device for dealing with happiness

Old July 7th 06, 03:12 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

badwilson wrote:

He's stuck in a camp in Burma with no drinking. The
closest town is 20 min away on a dirt track, has no electricity...
He works for 2 weeks with "Cardiac Bob" the engineer who thinks the
helicopter is going to crash and thinks everything is a major
catastrophe...
4 French guys who's English is very poor...
He flies with Burmese co-pilots who's flying skills are so limited he
refers to them as "seat warmers". They cannot be relied upon in
emergencies and Dennis is essentially flying the helicopter alone.

I'll bet Cardiac Bob loves those guys!

(I admit it, I can relate to Cardiac Bob. I am similarly neurotic.
Which is why I would never in a million years take that sort of job,
and I wonder why Bob did?)

He has to take his meals in a caffeteria at set times and his flying
often makes him miss lunch. Then he gets extremely hungry and has to
wait for dinner. He can make a protein shake in his room but nothing
else because any food in his room will attract masses of cockroaches.
In the caffeteria they have the same thing every Monday, etc. He gets
ill at least once every time due to their crappy hygiene.
He flies 4 days a week and that only takes up half the day. The rest of
the time he sits around in utter boredom.

Wow, it just gets worse and worse, the further you read in this
description. What a horrible job! May I ask, why does he continue to
do it? Is he contracted for a certain length of time? Couldn't he
do some other kind of work? It sounds really miserable. Or is there
something about it that he likes enough to put up with nutty co-workers,
cockroaches, food poisoning, and total boredom? Not to mention being
separated from you for 4 weeks every few months. (Or is it the other
way around - gone for a few months, and home for 4 weeks?)

I've said to Dennis that I would have a
much harder time dealing with him being away if he was in some fun place
that I'd like to visit too. Yeah, I know, I know, it's selfish, but I
just can't help it!

Ooooh Britta, that's evil. I can understand you feeling that way,
though. But maybe there's something in between? Not something so fun
you'd be jealous, but there has to be something better than what he's
got.

Joyce
Old July 7th 06, 04:13 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jo Firey

"badwilson" wrote in message

On 2006-07-06, Winnie penned:

[...]

I totally understand. That was what ****ed me off. I wasn't having that
bad a time with Charlie gone, but through no fault of his own he was having
a pretty darn good time.

When getting him to reenlist didn't work, they took his "job" away and
reassigned him to play chauffer to a very nice General. Frequent trips to
the White House, etc.

Washington DC was my town dammit, and I was the reason he knew his way
around so well.

It isn't easy to be reasonable when you are lonely.

Jo

Old July 7th 06, 04:34 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
badwilson

wrote:
badwilson wrote:

He's stuck in a camp in Burma with no drinking. The
closest town is 20 min away on a dirt track, has no electricity...
He works for 2 weeks with "Cardiac Bob" the engineer who thinks the
helicopter is going to crash and thinks everything is a major
catastrophe...
4 French guys who's English is very poor...
He flies with Burmese co-pilots who's flying skills are so limited he
refers to them as "seat warmers". They cannot be relied upon in
emergencies and Dennis is essentially flying the helicopter alone.

I'll bet Cardiac Bob loves those guys!

I don't think Cardiac knows how bad they are. That's not something that
Dennis would want Cardiac to find out, because then Bob might actually
go into cardiac arrest and then who would do the maintenance???

(I admit it, I can relate to Cardiac Bob. I am similarly neurotic.
Which is why I would never in a million years take that sort of job,
and I wonder why Bob did?)

I've noticed that people in the industry start off quite normal when
they are young but get progressively more neurotic as their retirement
date approaches. I guess they figure they have survived this long,
something's *bound* to go wrong before they retire!

[...]

It's really not a bad posting. We like it because it's 4 weeks on, 4
weeks off, instead of the regular 6 weeks on, 6 weeks off that most of
the jobs have. It's this way because other guys have gone a bit kookoo
from being locked in this camp for more than 4 weeks at a time.
But the other benefits are that Dennis is his own boss and doesn't have
to deal with many personality conflicts, which is a pretty bad problem
on many other postings. Also, he gets paid more money to be there. And
it's fairly close to where we live, with only a 1.5 hour time change, so
he doesn't suffer from any jet lag.
Yes, he could also work in Australia, but the industry with oir rigs,
etc, is always going to be touring away. In Australia they do 2 weeks
on, 2 weeks off. But in the end he would still be away for the same
amount of time. And would lose so much money due to losing the tax
benefits from working overseas, that I would immediately have to start
working full time and then we would *still* be making a *lot* less than
what he makes now.

I've said to Dennis that I would have a
much harder time dealing with him being away if he was in some fun
place that I'd like to visit too. Yeah, I know, I know, it's
selfish, but I just can't help it!

Ooooh Britta, that's evil. I can understand you feeling that way,
though. But maybe there's something in between? Not something so fun
you'd be jealous, but there has to be something better than what he's
got.

No, things can only get worse. Sure, Thailand would be great, but as
he's already worked there, he won't be allowed back in for at least
another 5 years. Nigeria is the next best option but the camp there
regularly gets attacked by machete wielding rebels and their quarters
have been burned down a few times. Not to mention the hostages they
like to occasionally take...
Oh, and there's Bangladesh, where they have a 1.5 hour commute to and
from work and the town is so smoggy they have to wear gas masks all the
time. The guys who work there play games to see how many people they
can see going to the bathroom on the side of the road on each trip to
work in the van.

Old July 7th 06, 04:35 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
badwilson

Jo Firey wrote:
"badwilson" wrote in message

On 2006-07-06, Winnie penned:

[...]

Yes, I can totally see where you're coming from. I would have been
upset too.