Rescued mama cat -- kittens? (sorry, trouble crossposting)

Old August 14th 03, 08:23 AM
Ginger-lyn Summer

Default Rescued mama cat -- kittens? (sorry, trouble crossposting)

A neighbor of mine got evicted today. Another neighbor and friend,
who is a vet assistant, spoke to her and asked about her cat. The
woman's reply consisted of "I'm homeless today. I don't know."
Essentially, she dumped the cat. She also told my friend that her cat
had had kittens, but she had no idea what had happened to them.

I went out, looked for, and found a cat fitting my friend's
description, and brought her in. She is a very sweet cat; it appears
she has two swollen nipples. I have no idea how long ago she gave
birth to kittens (and my friend was told she had two), but I am
guessing from this that they are still feeding from her. It is also
possible they are being weaned, but I do not know.

I do not know what to do. This is a very busy neighborhood with high
traffic. If I do, indeed, have the cat that was dumped, it is good to
get her off the street. However: (1) it is very hot, and we do not
have central a/c. (2) if she has kittens, they need her.

How do I find the kittens?? Is it better to let her go so they can be
cared for, and risk her death? I am truly at a loss here. I am
thinking that 12 hours or so will be okay for her to be away, but
unless I can find the kittens by then, I am not sure that I should not
release her so they can be cared for.

Any help/advice *very* much appreciated!

Ginger-lyn

PS Just saw what appears to be a kitten looking very much like mama
cat. Did a breadcrumb approach with treats to our porch. Looks
*maybe* old enough to be okay without nursing, but not sure.

Old August 15th 03, 01:48 AM
Gail

I would call the kittens and see if they come (near where you found the mama
cat). I hope the one that you saw was one of them. I don't think it's wise
to let mama out again......A very difficult situation. Please keep us
posted.
Gail

Old August 15th 03, 06:56 PM
Ginger-lyn Summer

On Thu, 14 Aug 2003 20:48:37 -0400, "Gail" wrote:

I would call the kittens and see if they come (near where you found the mama
cat). I hope the one that you saw was one of them. I don't think it's wise
to let mama out again......A very difficult situation. Please keep us
posted.
Gail

It is a very difficult situation :-( And I agree, it would *not* have
been wise to let mama out again. We did get two kittens coming close
to the apartment, possibly following her scent. They looked to be old
enough to be weaned, so it is possible she was in the process of
weaning them. We were unable to grab the kittens, though; they would
not come close enough. Because of a neighbor, I am currently not
supposed to leave food out on the front porch for cats, but I think I
am going to ignore that and leave some food out tonight. I have heard
mixed stories about this from my neighbor who first told me about it;
the woman who got evicted apparently is either crazy or on drugs. She
kept changing her story about the kittens (said she didn't know where
they went, and then claimed they were dead). Mama cat is now at a
friend's house who has central a/c; it is too miserable to keep her
here in 90+ degree heat in our "kitty rescue room". I will continue
to try to get the kittens and find another person with central air to
keep them temporarily. I have an appointment Sunday to take the mama
into a no-kill shelter, and if I can get the kittens before then, I
can take them in with her (they will take nursing mothers and kittens
together). Wish me luck.

Ginger-lyn

Old August 15th 03, 09:49 PM
Karen Chuplis

in article , Ginger-lyn Summer at
wrote on 8/15/03 12:56 PM:

[...]

Good luck and keep us posted.

Karen

Old August 18th 03, 05:38 PM
Ginger-lyn Summer

On Fri, 15 Aug 2003 15:49:44 -0500, Karen Chuplis
wrote:

Good luck and keep us posted.

Karen

Well, the mama cat is now safely at the shelter, but I have still been
unable to find the kittens and I am worried sick.

While we were transporting the mama cat to the shelter, I took
hand-held tape recorder and recorder her meows. Went out last night
with a bowl of warmed milk and the tape, and sat on the front and back
porches of the empty apartment playing it., Unfortunately, I got not
response I will keep trying this for a few nights. I am hoping
against hope that some other rescue-type person in the area managed to
get the kittens in, and that they are okay.

I feel horrible about not getting them right away. I wish I had
thought at the time about keeping momcat on the porch in a carrier; I
might have been able to get them if I had done so :-( I guess I will
know better next time, but I am so depressed about this current
situation.

At least momcat is safe and has a chance. Hope I can find the kittens
soon, or that some other kind-hearted soul took them in.

Ginger-lyn