OT--LOL!!! I got a Dube-ious Letter

Old February 15th 04, 08:50 PM
John F. Eldredge

Default OT--LOL!!! I got a Dube-ious Letter

--
John F. Eldredge --
PGP key available from

Old February 15th 04, 11:24 PM
Hopitus2

ROFLMAOPIMP at this plea to you and yours, way out on the Great Plains of
Colorado, to save this dude's (oops, DUBE's) family fortune. These people
ought to give it a rest.

"John F. Eldredge" wrote in message
:
: --
: John F. Eldredge --
: PGP key available from
http://pgp.mit.edu
: "Reserve your right to think, for even to think wrongly is better
: than not to think at all." -- Hypatia of Alexandria
:

Old February 15th 04, 11:49 PM
Nanny

LOL, I'm reading this not 5 minutes after I received my very own scam letter
:-)

Nanny

"Hopitus2" schreef in bericht

Old February 16th 04, 05:59 AM
John F. Eldredge

On 16 Feb 2004 02:24:05 GMT, CATherine
wrote:

On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 14:50:20 -0600, John F. Eldredge
wrote:

On 15 Feb 2004 14:12:16 GMT, CATherine
wrote:

Awhile back someone got a Nigerian scam letter and I comlained
that I had never gotten one, and i felt left out. So someone in
the group sent me a copy of one! What a hoot. G Well, now I have
one sent directly to me. But it doesn't come from Nigeria. It is
from
Zimbabwe; or rather, Tome-Logo!!?? I append a copy of this
Dube-ious letter.GIt seems to me that a farmer turned Finance
Minister
secreting $840,000 is as crooked as a dog's hind leg!

Most of the scam letters that I have received have involved money
obtained by some sort of corruption or embezzlement. I think that
the scammer's logic is probably that the victim, once he or she
realizes that they have been cheated out of money rather than
receiving money, are unlikely to go to the authorities and confess
to conspiracy to receive stolen property. Despite the old proverb,
you _can_ cheat an honest man, but it is more difficult than
cheating a crooked man (or woman).

I always just thought it was just credulous people that fell for
these things. My brother almost fell for a scam involving a
so-called
Nigerian lawyer and an inheritance. But he had the wit to send me a
copy and I tore it to shreds and told him how to spot the scam in
it. He was indebt and feeling greedy, so it didn't take much to get
his
interest. But i taught him a valuable lesson before he lost any
money.

Well, credulity is required as well. However, as I said, if the
duped person has agreed to help sneak embezzled money out of Nigeria
(or wherever), they aren't likely to complain to the police, since
they have committed a crime themselves in agreeing to the scheme.

When I wrote the bit above about cheating an honest man, I was
remembering the time that my father fell victim to a fraudulent
traveling house-painter. My father paid the full $500 up front to
have his house repainted. The crew disappeared after spray-painting
one wall of the house, in a different color than what my father had
picked out, and with such a thin coat of paint that you could still
tell the color of the underlying paint. My father was too
embarrassed at having been conned to press charges.

--
John F. Eldredge --
PGP key available from

Old February 16th 04, 06:07 AM
Yowie

"John F. Eldredge" wrote in message

snip the bit about cheating an honest man

When I wrote the bit above about cheating an honest man, I was
remembering the time that my father fell victim to a fraudulent
traveling house-painter. My father paid the full $500 up front to
have his house repainted. The crew disappeared after spray-painting
one wall of the house, in a different color than what my father had
picked out, and with such a thin coat of paint that you could still
tell the color of the underlying paint. My father was too
embarrassed at having been conned to press charges.

My parents are forever getting ripped off. They haven't quite fully grasped
that "he seemed really nice" gives you no protection whatsoever, but a
signed contract does - even if they person involved doesn't having a winning
smile or call them "Sir" and "Ma'am". They *infuriate* me when they "don't
want to make a fuss", won't complain, won't get written agreements etc etc,
but in the end I can't *make* them become cynical enough to protect their
own interests.

Guess they think taht they live in a world where a person's word is all that
needs to be trusted. I don't know whether I should be sad that I don't live
in that world, or grateful that I am *aware* that my world isn't like that.

Still, it bothers me greatly to see two honest, hardworking retirees get
their trusting and "no-one likes a dobber" attitude so truly taken advantage
of so often.

Yowie

Old February 16th 04, 07:37 AM
Jeanette

CATherine wrote in message
Awhile back someone got a Nigerian scam letter and I comlained that I
had never gotten one, and i felt left out. So someone in the group
sent me a copy of one! What a hoot. G Well, now I have one sent
directly to me. But it doesn't come from Nigeria. It is from Zimbabwe;
or rather, Tome-Logo!!?? I append a copy of this Dube-ious
letter.GIt seems to me that a farmer turned Finance Minister
secreting $840,000 is as crooked as a dog's hind leg!

Ha! When I first saw the thread title, I thought it was from Dubya.