A Rant: Pets running loose

Old October 29th 04, 12:05 AM
jmcquown

Default A Rant: Pets running loose

I'm sorry, but I have to chime in here. I've read helen s' post about the
poor wet dog who is 100 miles from home (according to the tag, although who
knows if the owners kept the tag up to date).

People. Please. Keep your pets inside. Or at least in an enclosed area
where you know where they are. Don't don't them run loose where there are
coyotes or snakes or cars or anything else that can get to them.

My poor Persia was probably 2 years old (according to the vet) when she came
to me. She was skinny, had leaves and mud stuck to her belly. Yet she'd
been front-declawed and spayed. But her then humans let her just run. Then
apparently abandoned her. Or, she ran off and ran far.

Persia showed up at my back door the afternoon of January 6, 2001. She
meowed her head off for me to let her in. I'd never had a cat, didn't want
a cat. But as the sun went down and it got more cold (mid-20's farenheit) I
couldn't just leave her out there. She's been here ever since.

Why would anyone abandon a sweet, loving cat like this? I don't know. I
tried to find her owners, to no avail. But not all cats can find their way
home. Not all dogs, either. So please, don't let your pets run loose. If
you feel they must be allowed to roam because you have "room" for them to
roam, at least put a collar and a tag on them. Or have them micro-chipped.

This has been a public service announcement.

Jill
--
I used to have a handle on life...but it broke off.

Old October 29th 04, 02:31 AM
Kreisleriana

On Thu, 28 Oct 2004 18:05:02 -0500, "jmcquown"
yodeled:

[...]

I hear you, honey. Preachin' to the choir. I took Stinky off the
subway tracks. He was six months old. He was a sweet little lovebug,
so he wasn't one of the many ferals who have colonized the subway
tunnels. Some genius had to have put him there.
I took him straight to the vet for worming, shots and the snip. When
I returned for him, the vet and the techs all said "*Where* did you
find him? He's the sweetest little guy. Everybody loves him." When
I told them, they were aghast.
I have devoted myself to making sure this little fella never knows
another moment's fear or discomfort, and his loving nature just
blossomed. If I live another hundred years, I will never understand
what got him where I found him.

Theresa

Old October 29th 04, 10:31 PM
Enfilade

I hear you, honey. Preachin' to the choir. I took Stinky off the
subway tracks. He was six months old. He was a sweet little lovebug,
so he wasn't one of the many ferals who have colonized the subway
tunnels.

Same with Smokey. Why is the most affectionate of my four--the one
who loves everyone--also the one who was living in a forest devouring
bunnies and seagulls? He had to have known some kind of human contact
before he went feral, considering how quickly he civilized himself.

We don't know what would be worse--if there were someone out there
still worrying about Smokey and wondering where he went, or if no one
cared about his fate at all.

--Fil

Old October 29th 04, 11:22 PM
TBird

Here's my two cents with a different perspective...and lots of ranting...

"jmcquown" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

There is a new house being built across the road from us. This lot stood
empty for years as the young couple saved up to build the house. I met them
first when they hit our mailbox and broke it one day. They stopped by to
point this out, but not to offer any compensation, so suffice it to say;
they are not our favorite neighbors.

A bit of background for those not familiar with our house; the neighborhood
is in a small rural community, and the lots on this side of the highway are
4-6 acres. Most people have horses. On our side of the road, there are 4
houses and probably 6-8 horses. A few dogs. The dogs are supposed to be
confined to our own property, per the covenance.

So. This house is being built. Across the road. Cool great wonderful
whatever.

Except that a week or so ago, I notice dogs running loose. We have dogs, but
per the convenance they have to be confined to our property. These other
dogs are running all over. I note one in our fenced pasture, it's driving
our dogs insane trying to get at it. The horses are in their stalls, and not
happy about the dog, but not panicking. I trace the dog to the construction
site across the street. I write a huge note with the intent of sticking it
on the door to the port-o-potty on the site. A simple, "Please keep your
dogs confined, they are causing a nuisance to other animals and property in
the neighborhood. Thank you." But I chicken out, and throw it away.

Then one morning, our horses (a 13 year old gelding and a one year old
filly) are in our pasture grazing. Suddenly I hear them running around like
mad, and our dogs are barking. I look out the window, and damned if there
isn't a big old dog running loose. So I run downstairs and put on my boots,
open the garage door and head over there - only to see another dog running
out from the direction of our barn. BIG dogs, a husky and some husky mix.
The horses are in the front part of the pasture and they are BOTH in high
panic mode, which is bad for lots of reasons, not the least of which is that
they could get seriously hurt if they panic and run through the fence. Haze
(the older horse) never panics around dogs, but he's totally freaking out
now.

Needless to say - this makes me really angry.

I literally march over there - greated by the two dogs who are actually
quite friendly, but that's not the point, and go looking for the nearest
person to talk to.

I find some old guy in the garage, and I point to the dogs, and yell over
the hammering, "These dogs running wild in the neighborhood is not okay.
They need to be confined to this area."

And he says, "They ain't my dogs, I ain't got no dogs."

And my head blows off. There is no more wrong way to answer me than that.

I spin around looking for someone to kill, and damned if the home owner
doesn't pull up in the very Dodge Durango that knocked over our mailbox, and
get out of her car.

I didn't say hello or anything. Just, "This is not okay. These dogs are
running all over the neighborhood, they are panicking my horses and my dogs,
they are peeing all over our property and it is NOT OKAY. They HAVE to be
leashed or locked in the truck or whatever, but this is NOT OKAY. It's
dangerous and it's putting my horses safety at risk. It's NOT OKAY."

She looked a little scared and promised to take care of it.

I don't see the dogs now, and the horses have gone back to grazing.

I called my DH, and he added the worry that Haze has always been calm around
dogs, and he hopes this episode didn't screw that up, as in; make it unsafe
for us to ride him when dogs are around. Terrific.

Probably screwed up Zip (the filly) the same way.

Damn.

I was so angry I could have torn their house back down to the ground. With
my teeth.

We'll see. Next time I see dogs running loose on that site, I'm just calling
animal control and be done with it.

My cats never go outside. Way too many coyotes and birds of prey and these
two are not smart enough nor due they have the instincts left in them to
protect themselves.

TBird ---- same neighbors house site.... today the wind (125MPH) blew over
that port-o-potty..... that smells nice... NOT