Cat Scratching Face Raw (pics)

Old January 19th 07, 01:08 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
IDzine01

Default Cat Scratching Face Raw (pics)

I'm having problems with Dave, my cat. The history is, last March I
brought him to the vet because he was scratching the outside of his
ears raw. His ringworm test came back negative and the vet gave me
drops for his ears. They are intended for the inside, but have a mild
steroid so they reduce swelling when applied on the outside. Basically
he wasn't diagnosed with anything and the drops didn't help. It went
away on it's own after several months.

A few days ago I noticed Dave scratching his face. Then last night I
felt a scab and on further inspection I found he had been scratching
his face bloody above his eyes (and below his ears). He had many scabs
and hair loss that were rather disturbing. Tonight I called vet when I
got home and found he has scratched himself to the point where he has
open wounds. I tried to wash the scabs but I couldn't hold him still.
His vet appointment is tomorrow night.

Here are photos... They are blurry and dark. My camera's flash stopped
working just today... figures.

http://img259.imageshack.us/img259/2406/01180017ao2.jpg

http://img440.imageshack.us/img440/4898/01180014an0.jpg

Last year ee thought it could have been alergies because last March
when it happened it had been warm and the windows were open. Now it's
January and although it has been VERY warm until yesterday, the windows
have been closed. Has anyone ever had this happen to their cat?

Thanks
Christie (and Dave)

Old January 19th 07, 01:29 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Buddy's Mom

Those pictures are very painful to look at. i would really suggest
that you go to another vet. This isn't something to just let go.
There is something wrong and it may be allergies, but it shouldn't have
to get to this point year after year.

Old January 19th 07, 02:09 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Matthew

My Rumble looked at lot worse than that he has epilepsy the itches he got
caused him to do this he got a depo shot and after a few treatments it
would go away when he started again he got another one.

ups.com...

Old January 19th 07, 02:17 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
IDzine01

I will actually be seeing another vet tomorrow. It's the same clinic
but another doctor. I hope they will be able to make a diagnosis.

Old January 19th 07, 02:18 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Jim Vecchiola

I had a much lesser problem with "Mommacat", my 10-year old shelter
adoptee. At the beginning of this winter she was scratching just forward
of her ears - not as bad as your cat, but she left a few sore areas. I
treated it myself with some (small amount) of anti-itch body lotion -
rubbed it in gently. It was easy to do since she loves having me scratch
her chin and her face. It worked - after a few days, the soreness
healed. Seemed to be an allergy or just the onset of the colder weather.
Yours looks much more severe - but it may be some type of allergic
reaction. I wish you and Dave good luck.

Jim

ups.com:

Old January 19th 07, 05:57 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rhonda

Sometimes food allergies can cause itching and swelling -- our cat that
down his cheek. He was put on IVD limited ingredients food.

Don't let them give him a steroid shot for allergies. Our cat became
diabetic 3 weeks after one shot.

Rhonda

Old January 19th 07, 01:37 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
IDzine01

I did switch his food to Science Diet this week. I will definitely
bring that up at the Vet tonight. Damn... I wish I hadn't given it to
him this morning. (Just in case)

Old January 19th 07, 02:03 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Wendy

"IDzine01" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

I just had a foster who would rake open her face and neck. It was a food
allergy and we had to take her off foods that contained grains or at least a
lot of grains. She did clear up on Eucanuba chicken and rice dry and wet.
You have to get to ingredient 4 or 5 before encountering the rice. With a
lot of other dry foods the corn or wheat start showing up as the second
ingredient.