cat food recommendation please

Old November 14th 04, 11:44 PM
Carol

Default cat food recommendation please

I want to switch my 13 year old male cat from dry food to canned. I
think he needs something easier to digest. His been eating Science
Diet Feline Light.

I'd like some suggestions. I think something without chunks would be
best. Also want to avoid cystitis, which he had twice before I
switched him to his current food (10 years ago).

Luckily this cat loves all cat food so I'm not worried about his being
picky. In fact he probably should have something light. He's a big
guy, not really fat but very lazy.

Wellness brand has been suggested but I don't think I can find that
around here. While I don't mind ordering online I would like to try
it before buying a case. What about IAMS or Science Diet canned
foods? I don't want to give him crap.

Thanks
Old November 15th 04, 12:17 AM
blkcatgal

I'm not a big IAMS fan so I can't recommend that brand. I would suggest
Science Diet, PetGuard, Wellness or Innova. I have a friend that feeds her
cats Pro Plan, but I'm not sure about that one. Any opinions on Pro Plan?

S.

om...

Old November 15th 04, 12:33 AM
PawsForThought

From: Karen Chuplis

I use Petguard and my boy has not had urinary problems since switching to
it. You can order any of these foods from
www.petfooddirect.com and what is
nice is that they email frequent 20% off coupons, so you really end up
saving the cost of the shipping. Plus it comes right to your door.

I agree with Karen. Petguard is a good food. I used to feed it to my cats
when they were kittens and they really liked it.
Another option you might want to try is if you have a Whole Foods Market near
you, they usually carry the better brands like Petguard, Nature's Variety and
Newman's Organic.

Lauren
________
Declawing Info: http://www.wholecatjournal.com/articles/claws.htm
Old November 15th 04, 12:58 AM
MaryL

"Carol" wrote in message
om...
I want to switch my 13 year old male cat from dry food to canned. I
think he needs something easier to digest. His been eating Science
Diet Feline Light.

I'd like some suggestions. I think something without chunks would be
best. Also want to avoid cystitis, which he had twice before I
switched him to his current food (10 years ago).

Luckily this cat loves all cat food so I'm not worried about his being
picky. In fact he probably should have something light. He's a big
guy, not really fat but very lazy.

Wellness brand has been suggested but I don't think I can find that
around here. While I don't mind ordering online I would like to try
it before buying a case. What about IAMS or Science Diet canned
foods? I don't want to give him crap.

Thanks

I use Wellness canned and Felidae canned. It is not available here, either,
so I order from www.petfooddirect.com. Once you sign up and give them your
e-mail address, you will frequently receive 20 percent discount coupons
(which basically covers the cost of shipping).

MaryL

Old November 15th 04, 04:12 AM
Robin Cook

I agree with blkcatgal .. I'm not a big fan of IAM's either .. and neither
are my cats. My cats used to love Science Diet, but don't know why they
just suddenly stopped eating it. I've reintroduced it on occasion and still
they don't eat it. Pro Plan used to make a really good Lamb dry cat food,
but haven't seen it in a long time. I don't like to give my cats much
fishy foods, but I do get the Pro Plan Salmon small cans for an occasional
dietary variable. Some petstore brands are, also quite good. One of my
cats is an avid lover of PetsMart Authority Lamb & Rice .. both dry and
canned. Pro Plan is one dry food I, also, will put in my battery operated
food dispenser and all three of my cats like all of the different flavors.
But, they have done the same thing with Pro Plan as they've done with
Science Diet .. they just stop eating it. But, I have reintroduced the Pro
Plan off and on and they do eat it again, but they don't want to have
anything to do with Science Diet. Perhaps the cannery that inventories my
local stores is different than others elsewhere, so dunno. What i've done
in the past is to go into a petstore and buy two cans of each flavor and
brand and keep my receipt on the fridge. I'll stack them in an order and
will put a check or an "x" on the receipt to indicate yes or no. Then, I'll
try the second can at a later time to see if I have same result. Two "x's"
I draw a line thru to not buy again, lol. The hard part with this system is
remembering to take the receipt off the fridge to take with me the next time
I go shopping smile.

Old November 15th 04, 05:23 AM
Fuga :o\)

Some cats are prone to having urinary problems on Wellness. I was advised
this by a vet. He recommended feeding Innova, Fromm's and Nature's Balance
and rotate between the brands so each time you open a new can it's a
different brand.

I did this a year ago and I saw great improvements in my cats appearances
and health

fuga.

Old November 15th 04, 10:30 PM
Dick Peavey

From: Karen Chuplis

I use Petguard and my boy has not had urinary problems since switching
it. You can order any of these foods from
www.petfooddirect.com and
what is
nice is that they email frequent 20% off coupons, so you really end up
saving the cost of the shipping. Plus it comes right to your door.

I agree with Karen. Petguard is a good food. I used to feed it to my
cats
when they were kittens and they really liked it.
Another option you might want to try is if you have a Whole Foods
Market near
you, they usually carry the better brands like Petguard, Nature's
Variety and
Newman's Organic.

Now that is helpful, thanks.