Urgent, Frontline Q. for Kittens

Old September 4th 05, 08:25 PM

Default Urgent, Frontline Q. for Kittens

I have got myself 4 little urchin throw-away kittens today. They are
completely covered in fleas. About 10 weeks old.

Problem is, I don't have any Advantage, and have called around, no
friends have any on hand, and the vet is closed.

One friend does have one vial of Frontline for dogs. Now, I already
have read that it is the same formulation as the Frontline for cats,
the only difference is the volume in the vial. After reading on it,
though, it says plainly "Use on Dogs ONly Do not use on rabbits. Do not
use on other animals." And I'm too afraid to use it now. Are there
*different* kinds of Frontline now?

The pack says, "Frontline Top Spot." Active ingredients: fipronil,
9.7%, inert ingredients, 90.3%

I bathed them with Dawn dishwashing liquid and managed to drown, pick
and squish a great number of the fleas. There are still live fleas on
them, though. Can anyone advise me about using the Frontline.

Sherry

Old September 4th 05, 08:37 PM
Rhonda

Hi Sherry,

Wow, four more kitties? What a great Labor Day present!

I can answer the question about the rabbit-warning. Frontline does kill
rabbits. The rabbit-people petitioned the company for a long time to
get that warning added. The rabbits would lick it off their coats, go
into convulsions and die. The company claimed "improper use" for a long
time, but sounds like they finally added the warning.

I would guess they are now being careful about specifying animals
because of that. But I honestly don't know if there is any difference
between the cat and dog formulas.

Maybe they have a website with the percentages?

Rhonda

Old September 4th 05, 09:29 PM
5cats

[...]

I have a package of Frontline Plus for Cats here. each vial is .017 fl.
oz. or .50ml

9.8% fipronil
11.8% (S)-methoprene
78.4% inert ingrediants

And it says it's intended for cats 8 weeks and older.

Old September 4th 05, 11:35 PM
Gail

You can go to a pet store or even a store like Wal Mart and buy Frontline
for kittens (at pet stores) or Bio Spot. Gail
ups.com...

Old September 5th 05, 12:45 AM
Phil P.

wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

I've used 0.05 ml (one drop) per pound of the Frontline Top Spot (not Plus)
dog formulation on young kittens without any problems. I got this from a
reliable source in the company. This is off-label of course. I've only used
the blue and purple dog vials- I think the concentration is stronger in the
red vials- not sure.

Phil

PS: I'll see your 4 and raise you 9! Is it my imagination or has this been
an unusually long kitten season?

Old September 5th 05, 04:27 AM

Phil P. wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

It was the regular Top Spot. I may have erred on the side of caution
and not used enough of it. Guess we'll see if the fleas all die. I got
most of the ones on the bodies of the kittens in the bath, but it was
the ones around the head that were still alive.
YES, kitten season is long here. By now it should have peaked and new
litters started to dwindle. It's not dwindling, not at all. :-(

Sherry

Old September 5th 05, 04:33 AM

Charlie Wilkes wrote:
On 4 Sep 2005 12:25:03 -0700, wrote:

[...]

That frontline stuff is a pretty toxic insecticide. If one kitten
chews on the other's neck, it might end up like a rabbit.

Your best bet might be to clean the fleas manually with a flea comb,
or repeat the bath.

Charlie

Yes, and I hate using any kind of insecticde on them, they are so
little. The fleas around the head/ears/nose/eyes were just awful, and
it started to look impossible to get them all manually. The poor
things were already looking like flea anemia, and I just had to decide
whether to take a chance on them dying from the fleas or using the
Frontline.

Old September 5th 05, 05:15 AM

Phil P. wrote:

PS: I'll see your 4 and raise you 9! Is it my imagination or has this been
an unusually long kitten season?

Can I vent? Here are the circumstances. My son found these kittens in
his front yard--he lives across from an elementary school. Two little
girls came up and said, "Those are our kittens." Fine. They took them.
In 5 minutes, here they came back with them and said, "Our mom took
them away. She said they would find good homes by the school. She said
we can keep the Mama cat."

Now. I found out where they live, but I was unable to confront the
idiot mother today. I was just too angry. I couldn't just go up and
knock on their door. I'd have looked and acted like a rabid chihuahua.

So I have collected myself, and tomorrow I am going over there and take
an application for the *free* low-income spay/neuter program we're
doing at the shelter. If their income doesn't qualify them I'll push it
through anyway. If the woman doesn't take me seriously, I am telling
her that dumping defenseless kittens is a felony according to the
animal cruelty statutes in the STate of Oklahoma and I will see to it
that she is charged with animal cruelty unless she lets me get that
mama cat spayed.

Ack. I'm getting worked up again just telling this. The nerve. Taking
four flea-infested 10-week-old kittens and dumping them in front of an
elementary school on purpose.

Sherry

Old September 5th 05, 08:43 AM
Charlie Wilkes

On 4 Sep 2005 20:33:00 -0700, wrote:

Charlie Wilkes wrote:
On 4 Sep 2005 12:25:03 -0700,
wrote:

[...]

Sure, it's not easy to know what is best. It's good of you to take
this on. I wouldn't show up on that lady's doorstep with the
intention of confronting her, however. That could backfire.

Charlie