How did you choose your furry masters?

Old October 16th 04, 11:20 PM
CatNipped

"Katrina" wrote in message
news:2004101614080716807%kworley@yahoonet...
On 2004-10-15 22:35:32 -0700, Kajikit said:

Or did they choose you? Stories please!
(no I'm not just a voyeur... in three weeks we'll be getting our own
kitties and I'm getting nervous - I've never ever had a cat of my own
in my entire life! What if they decide they don't like me?)

Well, we got our previous kitties (Nosey and Scamp, both RB now) from a
girl in my ceramics class when I was in college (I was a 30 y.o.
re-entry student). They were littermates who barely tolerated each
other- they'd pass in the hall and hiss... I don't speak fluent cat,
but it was obvious that they were insulting each other. Nosey went to
the Bridge 4 years ago, and Scamp followed early this year. I couldn't
stand to not have a cat, so about a week and an half after we lost
Scamp I went to the not-so-local shelter and found Ming. He's about a
year and a half old, kind of scrawny, with a rough coat, a MAJOR case
of ringworm (quarter-sized lesions all over his neck and chest), and a
significant heart murmur (turned out to be cardiomyopathy). He's a dark
Siamese marked Tuxedo cat... He's got white paws and a bib, but the
dark mask, tail and legs of a Siamese/Burmese (visualise a short haired
Birman of sorts). He was in a cage with 4 other cats and everytime I
went past he would purr, arch his back and put his head down (it looked
like he was bowing). Given his health issues, the shelter lady was not
very optimistic about his chances of being adopted. There was just
something about him that I knew he was mine. He's now nicely filled
out, the ringworm is all healed, his coat is in lovely shape and his
heart is being monitored. We'd had Ming for about a month and a half
when my son's girfriend called and said that her mother's office mates
had caught a litter of feral kittens. The mother cat had been making
motions that they interpreted as an intention to move the litter, so
the office workers decided to grab the 6 kittens while they could. The
kittens were about 4-5 weeks old, and 4 were adopted right away, with a
5th spoken for by a friend of one of the office people's friend. That
left one little Siamese marked girl kitty... Well, I have a thing for
little dark masks in light faces. Buttercup joined the family and
within 24 hours Ming had adopted her. Buttercup is now about 5 months
old, and is turning into one of the prettiest kitties I've ever known.
She and Ming sleep together, wash each other and play together. Here
are some pictures...

http://homepage.mac.com/kworley/phot...toAlbum22.html

Katrina

Oh, what gorgeous kitties! Lucky you!!

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old October 16th 04, 11:20 PM
CatNipped

Old October 16th 04, 11:32 PM
Enfilade

Kumani (By Destiny) and Tyche (By Chance) were found on a pile of
trash behind a loading dock at Queens University by my partner. They
were three weeks old, too young to eat or pee without aid. Too young
to survive without care every few hours, which our local overtaxed
animal shelter was unlikely to be able to provide. Regardless of the
fact that we were moving halfway across the country within the month,
he brought them home. By the time we'd settled into our new
house--with kittens--they had imprinted on my partner as their mother.
That ended the question about where their permanent home would be.

Smokey-poke was a feral at CFB Trenton where he was adopted by the
military unit as a mascot until the barracks accommodation staff
called animal control to destroy the "wild animal" hanging around the
barracks. Smokey's greatest supporter was the security chief who
sadly could not adopt Smokey due to the dogs he had at home, but who
/could/ sign a leave pass for me to smuggle Smokey off base before
animal control arrived. Smuggle him off base and into my apartment an
hour away

Nocturne was adopted from the Kingston Humane Society by my partner
and I. I had done a meditation to help me find my ideal pet the night
before and was granted a vision of golden eyes. Yes, most cats have
golden eyes but only Nocturne spent ten minutes staring at us,
demanding we release her and bring her home with us. It was pretty
clear to me that she had chosen us to serve her.

--Fil

Old October 17th 04, 12:12 AM
Katrina

On 2004-10-16 15:20:25 -0700, "CatNipped" said:

Buttercup is now about 5 months
old, and is turning into one of the prettiest kitties I've ever known.
She and Ming sleep together, wash each other and play together. Here
are some pictures...

http://homepage.mac.com/kworley/phot...toAlbum22.html

Katrina

Oh, what gorgeous kitties! Lucky you!!

Hugs,

CatNipped

Aren't they sweet? Ming is a bit reserved, and has a very subtle purr.
Buttercup is absolutely fearless and has a purr like a gravel truck.
I'm not sure that she realizes that she's a Little Kitty. She thinks
she's a Panther.

Katrina

Old October 17th 04, 12:12 AM
Katrina

Old October 17th 04, 12:12 AM
Katrina

Old October 17th 04, 01:44 AM
William Hamblen

On 2004-10-16, Kajikit wrote:

Or did they choose you? Stories please!

I've alternated between finding strays in the back yard and having friends
and relations give me kittens. A woman who took in a pregnant stray
gave me Spotsie (9 year old dilute tortoiseshell tabby spayed female)
and Jo (1 year old tortoiseshell and white spayed female) was a stray
that moved into the garden shed.

Old October 17th 04, 01:44 AM
William Hamblen