Calming purrs please

Old November 20th 04, 10:44 AM
dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers

Oh poo. Car accidents are rather less than fun even if you're the
innocent party (trust me - my poor little Micra was rear-ended no less
than three times, twice of those at exactly the same point on the road!)

Ouch! Not third time lucky in your case!

Were there any witnesses to the accident, who could verify the
appearance of fool? And, I take it, the police were able to verify that
he was telling the truth from his reg no regarding his name, address,
etc.

No witnesses. The police weren't that interested as there were no physical
injuries, but at least it was the trigger to ensure the other driver gave me
details, and if there's any hassle, I can always refer to reporting the
incident to the police, as that call will be logged.

Good luck, and litterbox scrapings to the fool.

Thanks

helen s

**$om $

Old November 20th 04, 10:46 AM
dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers

Firstly thanks to all who sent calming purrs :-) I am calmed...

Took Herman the German to the local Mercedes dealer this morning - thankfully
it doesn't look like any damage to the underneath of the car, which is a major
plus. In the cold light of day, though, there is damage to some of the rear of
Herman, which will be repaired. Spoke with my insurance company about this and
they've said they'll be chasing up the other driver :-)

Cheers, helen s

**$om $

Old November 20th 04, 01:59 PM
Adrian

O J wrote:
snip
Helen mentioned in a reply to another poster that Herman, her car,
was a Merc. He he! When my sister visited from the UK and borrowed
my Mercedes, she called it a "Merc" as well. It grates on the
American ear, as there is a line of autos here called "Mercury", and
they are "Mercs". g

I thought they were Fords. g When I visited America, in 1982, I rented
a Mercury.
--
Adrian (Owned by Snoopy & Bagheera)
A house is not a home, without a cat.

Old November 20th 04, 02:57 PM
O J

Helen S. wrote:

Indeed, the Highway Code is quite clear about leaving space between you &
vehicle in front so you can stop safely. A part of the Code which seems to have
completely gone over the head of the Audi driver...

A good rule of thumb, per the weeks and weeks of defensive driving
classes I had at work when I was still out in the field, is to pull to
a stop where you can still see the point that the wheels of the car in
front meet the road. Naturally this will be somewhat further with an
auto and its long hood (or bonnet) than it was with the vans we were
driving, but it's still a good practice.

Regards and Be Safe,
O J (Old John) Gritmon

Old November 20th 04, 04:20 PM
Magic Mood Jeep©

Adrian wrote:
O J wrote:
snip
Helen mentioned in a reply to another poster that Herman, her car,
was a Merc. He he! When my sister visited from the UK and borrowed
my Mercedes, she called it a "Merc" as well. It grates on the
American ear, as there is a line of autos here called "Mercury", and
they are "Mercs". g

I thought they were Fords. g When I visited America, in 1982, I
rented a Mercury.

Yup, Mercury is nothing but a deluxe Ford, as is a Lincoln. Also, FWIW,
Ford Motor Company also owns Land Rover, Mazda, Volvo, Jaguar and Aston
Martin (or is the majority stock holder for each company). We got a $4000
discount on our Land Rover when we bought ours because DH worked for a
company (Visteon) owned by Ford at that time. About half that discount was
eaten up by taxes
--?
The ONE and ONLY
former-blonde in Bloomington! (And proud of it, too)© email me at
nalee1964 (at) insightbb (dot) com

Old November 20th 04, 04:27 PM
Seanette Blaylock

"Adrian" had some very interesting things to say
about Calming purrs please:

Helen mentioned in a reply to another poster that Herman, her car,
was a Merc. He he! When my sister visited from the UK and borrowed
my Mercedes, she called it a "Merc" as well. It grates on the
American ear, as there is a line of autos here called "Mercury", and
they are "Mercs". g

I thought they were Fords. g When I visited America, in 1982, I rented
a Mercury.

Yep, Fords and Mercuries are related, being made by the same company
[Lincolns are also part of that "family"].