"Why I Am Not Thin" [OT]

Old January 26th 05, 01:22 AM
badwilson

"Monique Y. Mudama" wrote in message
On 2005-01-22, CK penned:

I just did a quick search on Google with the words "osteoporosis

likely
obese thin". There is plenty of info on the net on big ppl not

getting
osteoporosis as easily as thin ones, but here's one example:

http://www2.netdoctor.co.uk/diseases...teoporosis.htm

QUOTE People with a BMI of 21 or less have a higher rate of bone

loss than
those who are heavier, and obese people have lower rates of bone

loss than
those who are ideal weight. UNQUOTE

A BMI of 21 is on the low end of normal ... but imo the BMI thing is

a copout,
anyway. A bodybuilder will have a high BMI because they have a lot

of muscle,
not because they are fat. Percentage of body fat is a much more

useful
number, but is harder to measure.

LOL! I just wrote an almost identical post. I wrote it before I read
this one, honest ;-)
--
Britta
Sandpaper kisses, a cuddle and a purr. I have an alarm clock that's

Old January 26th 05, 01:43 AM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2005-01-26, badwilson penned:

Yes, I agree. BMI is way too inaccurate, especially for anyone with
muscles. A personal trainer should know that, but sadly nowadays
anyone can call themselves a personal trainer.
It would be much more useful to go by bodyfat %age, but of course
bodyfat is difficult to measure accurately and cheaply.

No kidding! And bodyfat gets more difficult the more fat you actually have.
I bought a caliper and even built myself a spreadsheet with the appropriate
formulae, but getting the same spot is tricky, and you really have to have
someone else do the measuring, so I had to rope Eric into doing it for me.

Honestly, I don't need a caliper at this point to know I need to lose fat. (I
wish I could eradicate the term "lose weight" from the English language. It's
so misleading!)

IMO the best way to tell if you're losing bodyfat is to see what pants fit
around your waist, and how snugly. Legs can be problematic if you're doing a
lot of work with them, though ...

--
monique, roommate of Oscar the (female) grouch
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Old January 26th 05, 01:44 AM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2005-01-26, badwilson penned:

LOL! I just wrote an almost identical post. I wrote it before I read
this one, honest ;-)

Hey, great minds really *do* think alike!

Old January 26th 05, 08:59 PM
Christina Websell

"Mischief" wrote in message
ups.com...
I don't know what medication she's on, but she's partly the reason why
I'm on antidepressents.

and yes, this is why I decided to move to Los Angeles and why I only go
home 2-3 times a year.

At least she is a bit better now. I don't feel like reaching through
the phone and strangling her........at least not EVERY time........

Okay, gettin worked up again.......must find a kitty to
cuddle.............

Thanks for your support guys.

I must admit, everyone I've told this to agree that my mom is totally
OUT THERE!!!

Kristi

Well, you're not exactly "massive" are you? Take no notice if you're happy
with your weight yourself.
Unless there is an unusual medical problem we all know exactly what causes
overweight: consuming more calories each day than we use up.
When I had depression last year, I lost 42lbs and became underweight. I
could simply not be bothered to prepare food for myself. My aunt saved me
from fading away by insisting I went there for a huge Sunday dinner and sent
me home with at least 2 days food to microwave.
This proved to me that if I ate hardly anything, I'd lose weight and I
certainly did. This isn't a good idea.
Reducing calories eaten and increasing calories expended has to work better.
I really do think it's as simple as that.

Tweed

Old January 27th 05, 09:52 AM
Cathi

In message , Monique Y.
Mudama writes

A BMI of 21 is on the low end of normal ... but imo the BMI thing is a copout,
anyway. A bodybuilder will have a high BMI because they have a lot of muscle,
not because they are fat. Percentage of body fat is a much more useful
number, but is harder to measure.

Indeed. The rugby player, Jonah Lomu (sp?) apparently had a BMI of
somewhere near 30. I believe that's classed as "obese". Pity the
foolish person that would have the nerve to go up to him and tell him
that!
--
Cathi
Old January 27th 05, 12:45 PM
badwilson

On 2005-01-26, badwilson penned:

[...]

Yes, I use the pants test too. Or how much of a roll I can grab below
my belly button. Ick.