Feline Diarhea

Old June 5th 05, 03:01 PM
Gail D via CatKB.com

Default Feline Diarhea

I'm new; glad I found you guys. Not new to felines.

I'm working hard to contain and control a seemingly contagious situation of
diarhea in my kittens. One seven week old kitten is in quarantine with a
bad case of it. His two siblings were not infected.
One litter of five younger kittens are showing signs. Two more litters,
one six weeks old; one five weeks old, haven't been infected so far.

I've treated the seriously infected kitten with albon, strongid and
immodium AD. The immodium seems to be the most effective medication.
There has been slight overall improvement in that the diarhea isn't as
watery. Discontinued albon after 3 days; have two additional days of
strongid planned. Immodium for the duration is planned.

The strongid amount is 1/2CC once daily/six days total.

The same has been given to the litter of five, with exception to not using
immodium. Their diarhea is not water; is more like runny stool.

All are eating and active; no signs of respiratory illness or any other
conditions.

Kittens are caged in large clean wire cages, up to five per cage, open air
with a protective roof and full protection from weather. Climate is 68-70
lows and 90 daytime highs. No exposure to rainfall or cold.

Any additional advice?

Thanks for input. I look forward to hearing from you.
Gail
Old June 6th 05, 02:51 AM
Rhonda

Hi Gail,

Have you been able to talk to a vet? We had a mom-cat with distemper,
and her main symptom was diarrhea. Luckily, she recovered right before
she gave birth. I haven't dealt with diarrhea in kittens.

You might also post this on rec.pets.cats.health+behav. It is a very
active group. If posting there -- please note if you have contacted a
vet because that will be the first thing off of the keyboard... (they
are a bit passionate.)

Good luck!

Rhonda

Old June 6th 05, 12:54 PM
Wendy

I don't know that I'd call them passionate. Practicing veterinary medicine
without a license can be harmful to the cat. Particularly when nobody has
actually seen the animal and has to go by symptoms that are being described
in a news group. Therefore the prudent course of action is to recommend a
trained professional take a look at the cat to diagnose. Better to spend a
few bucks than wait too long to get a condition treated because someone is
trying to diagnose the problem in a newsgroup.

Old June 6th 05, 12:58 PM
Wendy

"Gail D via CatKB.com" wrote in message
[...]

A vet recommended giving daily doses of strongid? I've never heard of that.
We usually give 2 doses of strongid 14 - 21 days apart.

Old June 6th 05, 10:48 PM
Gail D via CatKB.com

Okay, I need to undo: Strongid was 3 days; Albon six days. I reversed
those in my first post.
Yes, the kitten saw the vet initially and again today. In fact the vet had
him stay several hours today for observation as to how the diarhea came
about as pertains to food intake, water, etc. He was their baby by the
time I returned several hours later. Under the microscope there was no
sign of intestinal parasites (of course he had already been wormed), no
signs of geordia (spelled wrong probably), no sign of why this is
happening. In the meantime two additional kittens are showing signs of
this. The kitten was given an injection, a food supplement to restore lost
electrolytes and nutrition, as well as another medication to be taken twice
daily. The two new cases are to be given the supplement and the new
medication also. All three animals are now quarantined and kept separate
from the other kittens.

I want to commend everyone for their input pertaining to seeking veterinary
advice and having the pet seen by the vet. Even though most of our felines
are feral, our vet is always instructed to treat the animal as if it was
HIS favorite cat. That puts it in a good perspective for him and
alleviates the possiblity that either of us look at one individual feline
as "one among so very many others". It does get expensive, but in the long
run not really. We have feral cats that are over nine years old and
showing no signs of slowing down.
Anyway, keep pulling for this little guy and the two new cases. I'll keep
you posted also.
Thanks,
Gail

Wendy wrote:
I'm new; glad I found you guys. Not new to felines.

[quoted text clipped - 26 lines]

Old June 6th 05, 11:33 PM
Wendy

[...]

I'm thinking maybe a food intolerance. What are they eating?

Old June 7th 05, 01:23 PM
Gail D via CatKB.com

They're GOING to be eating Purina kitten chow beginning this morning. I've
been feeding them adult cat food from Walmart - - Special Kitty, the same
that I've always fed the wild clans. I know, I know...garbage in garbage
out. But the magnitude of the multitude eating at our feeders called for
what we could afford.
Gail

Old June 9th 05, 02:00 AM
BarB

On Mon, 06 Jun 2005 21:48:15 GMT, "Gail D via CatKB.com"
wrote:

Okay, I need to undo: Strongid was 3 days; Albon six days. I reversed
those in my first post.

We deworm stray kittens with Strongid on this schedule:

http://www.myvetonline.com/website/d... &userId=3541
Recommendations by the American Association of Veterinary
Parasitologist and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention:

KITTENS: May de-worm as early as 2 weeks and repeat every two weeks
until 3 months of age, then once a month until 6 months old.

Yes, the kitten saw the vet initially and again today. In fact the vet had
him stay several hours today for observation as to how the diarhea came
about as pertains to food intake, water, etc. He was their baby by the
time I returned several hours later. Under the microscope there was no
sign of intestinal parasites (of course he had already been wormed), no
signs of geordia (spelled wrong probably), no sign of why this is
happening. In the meantime two additional kittens are showing signs of
this. The kitten was given an injection, a food supplement to restore lost
electrolytes and nutrition, as well as another medication to be taken twice
daily. The two new cases are to be given the supplement and the new
medication also. All three animals are now quarantined and kept separate
from the other kittens.

My vet sent fecal samples twice to a research lab in one bout of
kitten diarrhea. We had tried several drugs and it's not always easy
to pinpoint the bug and what will kill it. Then after we killed the
bug they suspected, the kittens still had diarrhea because their
systems were so disturbed. The lab recommended we use a dollop of
raw, canned pumpkin in their food to help slow down food passage and
make them feel better and acidophilus to restore beneficial bacteria.

What's the new medication?

BarB