Retirement is here

Old August 2nd 08, 06:56 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

Default Retirement is here

. ..
I have only one more week of classes, and then I really will "be retired."
Actually, August 31 is the official date, but I have removed *everything*
from the office except one small box of supplies that I may need for the
final week. The room really looked naked after I took all of my paintings
home. I also gave a second key to the man who will be inheriting my office
so he could start moving his books in and not have to do everything at the
last minute. He has already filled most of the book shelves, so it's
starting to look "lived in" again.

I told our department chair that I read where the Packers have offered
Brett Favre $20 million to stay away and told him I am much cheaper. I
said, "How about a year's salary for me to stay away." He said, "No, but
I'll pay you $10,000 to stay." I knew he was joking, and laughed.
However, he came to my office a few minutes later and said that he
actually had intended to talk to me about the future. He asked if I would
consider coming back sometimes as an adjunct faculty member. He said they
really hated to lose me and would like to have me part-time if I am
willing. This time, he was serious. He has told me on numerous occasions
that "they wouldn't know what they would do without me" (a real
exaggeration, since none of us are irreplaceable), "would hate to lose
me," etc. Anyway, the crux of the matter is that I told him I would think
about it and might consider it if it would only involve Tuesdays and
Thursdays. It also would not be every semester - not the coming fall
semester, for example, because that schedule is already set. I also told
him that I would need to be free for the trip to Greece and Turkey in the
spring. I am planning an 11-day trip to Greece with 3 days cruising and
visiting some of the Greek Islands, and a few short visit to the tip of
Turkey. He was pleased about the whole conversation, said "good for you"
about the travel plans, and he is going to check the salary scale to see
what compensation they could offer. No $10,000 bonus, though!!! ;-)

The department gave a wonderful retirement reception for me in May. The
reception was held early because so many faculty are off-campus during the
summer. It was a marvelous day - people came and laughed and stayed the
entire time, not the type of "put in an appearance and then leave"
courtesy visit that I sometimes see at receptions.

MaryL

Congratulations on your retirement, and on the fact that the department
chair wants you back.

Your post really resonated with me. My sister just retired as a high school
teacher. In a couple of weeks I'll be going to stay at their place to take
care of their dogs while they go to Greece. The principal has talked to her
about teaching one period of drama.

Joy

Old August 2nd 08, 06:56 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

. ..

. ..
I have only one more week of classes, and then I really will "be retired."
Actually, August 31 is the official date, but I have removed *everything*
from the office except one small box of supplies that I may need for the
final week.

snip long message

Ooops. I should have labeled that "off topic." Sorry.
MaryL

I think that was pretty obvious from the header. ;-)

Joy

Old August 2nd 08, 07:54 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kyla =^. .^=`[_2_]

Congratulations MaryL. I hope you have a great trip too
Hug
Kyla
"Charleen Welton" ...
Congratulations MaryL! May you have the most wonderful relaxing and
enjoyable trip possible. Lots of pictures please.
Charleen,
Aggie Marble,
Victor Velcro,
Tiger,
Tigger.

"MaryL" I have only one more week of classes, and then I really will "be
[...]

Photos of Duffy and Holly: 'o'
Duffy: http://tinyurl.com/cslwf
Holly: http://tinyurl.com/9t68o

Old August 2nd 08, 11:45 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sam

MaryL wrote:
[...]

Congratulations, MaryL. Enjoy your new-found freedom!

Sam, supervised by Mistletoe