[OT] Just needed to vent

Old November 18th 03, 11:51 PM
Yowie

Default [OT] Just needed to vent

Sorry to dump this on you guys, but I need to vent somewhere that is
understanding and sympathetic and nonjudgmental. And this is the place.

Don't know if you know the story of Daniel, Joel's younger brother. 3 years
ago, Daniel had his drink spiked and as a result went off his rocker right
around Christmas. He spent two weeks in the mental hospital with what
diagnosed at the time as "drug induced schizophrenia".

He reovered, and we figured that it was indeed due to the alteration of his
brain chemistry due to the spiked drink. However, there was always a
possibility that the drug wasn't the *cause*, but the *trigger* and that he
did indeed have schizophrenia proper.

Unfortunately, the weird and often violent behaviour returned about two
months ago, culminating in him assaulting his sister and completley trashing
her house. He was taken to the mental hospital again, but the recovery
wasn't as quick this time, and apprantly its been complicated by his
co-dependency on other drugs so they still aren't sure whether its
schizophrenia proper or that he has been taken such a cocktail of
incompatable drugs that his brain chemistry just fell apart. This time, it
took him a very long time for him to even say out loud that he was in the
hospital because of his own behaviour and not because his sister was "after
him". But when he was finally released, it seemed like he had come to terms
withthe issue, realised that that drug cocktails were the reason he ended up
inthe mental ward and had decided to go clean, and was looking forward to
resuming a normal life.

Only because he seemed so well recovered and that his sister,
understandably, could no longer bear the thought of him staying with her,
did we agree to tak him in temporarily. The idea was that since his job pays
well, and he'd saved nearly $1000 while in hospital, he'd have enough money
to find a small flat or good share accomodation within a week or two and let
us have our nursery back. When he moved in, he happily agreed, indeed was
very enthusiastic, about the "house rules" and being a contributingmemeber
of the family again, He was happy to discuss what he needed to get done, how
he was going to do it, and even his disgust and the various drugs and their
dealers that got him into this situation in the first place. He even
entrusted Joel with $200 so that Joel could put it away for later.

But then he went out to see his mates the next day and hasn't been the same.

One of the rules was that he couldn't drink or smoke pot or otherwise be
high when he was staying with us. Every timehe has come home after that, he
has staggered around, his eyes been red, slitty and bloodshot, and he's been
thoroughly uncomunicative. When he comes home. Some days he just doens't
come home. He hasn't helped at all around the house. He spent all his
svaings within 2 days (when he didn't come home) and even tookthe money Joel
had been holding for him. He now expects us to pay for his cigarettes and
food. We can't talk to him about anything - his one word is "whatever". He
insists he hasn't been smoking or drinking, but we can smell it on him, and
keeps insisting nobody can tell him what to do , he can do anything he
wants. He hasn't done a damn thing around the house but expects his food to
be cooked, his washing to be done, and to be cleaned up after. He didn't
even help clear out the nursery when he said he was going to help (so Joel
and I were left moving all thebaby stuff into the garage byourselves on one
of the hottest days of the year - me with the pregnancy and Joel with his
dud knee) When he does come home, Joel and I huddle in Joel's bedroom
because we can't handle being around him, he mutters all the time and does
very strange, ritualistic things. He oozes resentment towards us, he's back
to claiming his sister put him in hospital because *she's* the one with
mental problems. He's nearly 24. Also, and more concernign again is that he
hasn't rung the mental health team like he's supposed to, or approached his
own GP for a refill of his anti-psychotics (which he doesn't always take
anyway) and hasn't seen his psychiatrist anyway. He lies to the people who
come around and check up on him, lies to our faces, and lies to his sister.
We've had enough and want him out.

The trouble is, we know damn well if we throw him out, he'll end up on the
streets, which won't help him at all. He'll either become one of those
weirdo homeless people who talks to ghosts in the street, a worse addict and
criminal, commit suicide, or be murdered. Any way we look at it, throwing
him out is just going to make Daniel's problems a whole heap worse. And yet,
we can't live our lives with him in the picture. He's not my relative so I
don't feel especially terrible, but Joel is effectively being forced to make
a choice between his "old" family - ie his brother - and his "new" one, me
and our son, knowing full well that either way is going to have *bad*
consequences. There is no half way house we can put him in, we can't have
him committed involuntarily because technically he's currently not insane,
and we don't have the income to supply him with his own accomodation. We are
stuck.

I know there is nothing you folks can do but purr for us. But I had to vent.
The mental health system here is ridiculously underfunded and fully relies
on other people being willing to put up with this sh*t for the rest of their
lives simply because they happen to share some DNA with the person in
question. There is no help, no respite, no system in place that gets us out
of the bind. We either sacrifice our own lifestyles and live our lives as
dictated by Daniel's bizarre behaviour (and it wouldn't surprise me if he
starts stealing stuff from us soon), or we choose to sacrifice him instead.
Even the local mental health team recognise its a ridiculous situation but
can't help on a practical level. And Joel has to decide between his brother
and his wife & child. Utterly utterly mad.

Yowie

Old November 19th 03, 12:15 AM
Nan

On Wed, 19 Nov 2003 10:51:24 +1100, "Yowie"
wrote:

[...]

Feel free to vent here anytime you want to. I wish I had some advice
to give you, but until Daniel is ready to admit that he has a problem
there isn't much you can do to help him. Mental illness combined with
a drug problem is a no-win situation. Just be careful and remember
that we all love you, Joel, and the little Yowie.

Hugs, purrs, and d*ggy woofs for you and Joel and the little Yowie and
dirty litter box offerings for Daniel.

Nan
Old November 19th 03, 12:22 AM
GracecatOnl

Subject: [OT] Just needed to vent
From: "Yowie"
Date: 11/18/03 5:51 PM Central Standard Time
Sorry to dump this on you guys, but I need to vent somewhere that is
understanding and sympathetic and nonjudgmental. And this is the place.

Don't know if you know the story of Daniel, Joel's younger brother. 3 years
ago, Daniel had his drink spiked and as a result went off his rocker right
around Christmas. He spent two weeks in the mental hospital with what
diagnosed at the time as "drug induced schizophrenia".

First of all Yowie, big hugs, lots of love and prayers from this end.

Secondly, you're pregnant, you're hosting and undue stress is not good. It's
especially not good you have a person with a history of violence with you. I
know he's family my friend, but that baby is priority and he needs to get away
from you.

Yeah he'll probably end up on the street but you know... It's important that he
takes care of himself. When he was released from the hospital, he was in a safe
spot, the attending psychiatrist deemed that he wasn't a danger to himself or
others at that point in time. Daniel *knew* and admitted it was his problem,
and not his sister's. He knew he needed to continue treatment, kick the drug
habit and seek help. He dropped the ball. He exercised irresponsibility. I know
I'm lecturing and ranting and preaching to the choir Yowie, but in my opinion,
it's ok to feel bad, he's family, but tell him he needs to find another place
and offer to help him move. Pick a date, tell him.. oh.. "This isn't working
out, we'd like you to find other arrangements. Joel and I aren't busy Saturday
and we'll be able to help you move then." Don't leave the conversation open and
dangling with a sense of "whatever whenever".

I'm sorry if I'm over opinionated. I'll worry about you until he's out. That's
scary and I tend to lecture my loved ones until I feel comfortable again. It's
the worrywart in me.
Old November 19th 03, 12:24 AM
MaryL

"Yowie" wrote in message
Sorry to dump this on you guys, but I need to vent somewhere that is
understanding and sympathetic and nonjudgmental. And this is the place.

You are facing a truly dreadful problem. You didn't ask for advice, and I
have no expertise in this area. Nevertheless, I am going to offer some
unsolicited advice. I think you need to get Daniel out of your home.
Immediately! From your description, I think all of you could be in danger;
and you simply cannot afford to wait and see what Daniel will do next. You
did say that throwing him out would make his problems worse. I disagree. I
don't think they can get much worse, but yours certainly can. He has
already already assaulted his sister. If he "explodes," the same thing (or
worse!) could happen to you or your child. I think you need to get him out
of the house immediately and also change all locks. It might be wise to ask
for a police escort at the time you remove him from the home. If there are
any shelters for people in your area, I would talk to them first and see if
arrangements can be made for him to stay there. Then pack his bags, drive
him there, and refuse to leave with him. That may sound terribly harsh, but
this situation sounds desperate.

MaryL

Old November 19th 03, 12:59 AM
Brenda

"Yowie" wrote in message
[...]

sending tons of purrs and hugs.
Brenda

Old November 19th 03, 01:01 AM
m. L. Briggs

On Tue, 18 Nov 2003 18:24:02 -0600, "MaryL"
-OUT-THE-LITTER wrote:

"Yowie" wrote in message
[...]

There is a book "Tough Love" I think you should follow its advice.
Always remember that your baby comes first. MLB
Old November 19th 03, 01:12 AM
Yoj

I'm glad you have a place like this to vent. You didn't ask for advice,
so I won't give any, even though I agree with those who have. How's
that for a cop-out? ;-) Seriously, purrs and prayers for a peaceful
solution that won't tear Joel apart, and won't result in anyone being
hurt.

--
Joy

Old November 19th 03, 01:50 AM
Annie Wxill

"Yowie" wrote in message
..... And Joel has to decide between his brother
and his wife & child. Utterly utterly mad.

Yowie

It was Daniel's choice to be someone other than Joel's brother when he chose
to return to his so-called friends and former lifestyle. Daniel made Joel's
choice for him. There is no either brother or wife & child decision here.
Joel's reaction would have to be the same, even if he did not have a wife
and child to consider.
Having said that, I do understand that you and Joel know that brother Daniel
resides somewhere inside that stranger, and that is what makes the situation
so difficult and maddening.
I hope that you can find some way to protect yourselves and find the
treatment that will let the stranger become brother again. You certainly
will be in my thoughts and prayers. Cinder and Rosie send purrs as well.
hugs
Annie

Old November 19th 03, 01:52 AM
Victor Martinez

Yowie,

We're purring up a storm for you. Is there a way for you guys (his
mother, Joel?) to commit him to a mental hospital? He obviously needs
help, and he needs it for longer than a few days.
I hope things turn out ok. However, if I may, I would advise to find a
way for him to get out of your house as soon as possible. He's not a
good person to have around, with you being pregnant and all.

*hugs*

--
Victor Martinez
Send your spam he

Old November 19th 03, 02:56 AM
Don & Lisa

I agree with all the advise. Joel doesn't need to choose between his brother
and you two. He will be choosing to keep you safe, and if Daniel chooses to
leave for good, that is his choice, not Joel's.

Big head butts to you, Lisa.

"Victor Martinez" wrote in message
Yowie,

We're purring up a storm for you. Is there a way for you guys (his
mother, Joel?) to commit him to a mental hospital? He obviously needs
help, and he needs it for longer than a few days.
I hope things turn out ok. However, if I may, I would advise to find a
way for him to get out of your house as soon as possible. He's not a
good person to have around, with you being pregnant and all.

*hugs*

--
Victor Martinez
Send your spam he
Email me he

Emergency Purrs needed Hazel Az Cat anecdotes 32 October 21st 03 04:24 AM
Purrs and encourgement needed Lois Reay Cat anecdotes 20 October 8th 03 06:37 PM
Purrayers needed for little Delta please! Kajikit Cat anecdotes 17 October 4th 03 07:20 AM
prayers needed Jean H Cat anecdotes 1 October 3rd 03 09:30 AM
UPDATE... HELP!! Sitter needed for my two fur babies! Steve Touchstone Cat anecdotes 19 September 27th 03 06:40 PM