"Why I Am Not Thin" [OT]

Old January 23rd 05, 07:51 PM
SUQKRT

In article , Karen Chuplis
wrote:

in article , Mischief
at
wrote on 1/22/05 8:13 PM:

I don't want to go on a huge rant, because for me this is a sensitive
subject since my mom is a personal trainer and is ALWAYS on me about

my
weight. But here's my two cents

For the last 2-3 years I have had to listen to my mother, father AND
brother talk about the horrors and dangers of type 2 diabetes and how

am at a huge risk because I'm overweight. Mom and Dad are convinced
about the stupid Body Mass Index and since I'm five feet tall, I should
be close to 100 pounds.

I am 26, five feet tall, and currently weigh 137 pounds. Currently I
am doing springboard diving training 5 times a week and some of those
days are double practices(morning and evening). I haven't been really
losing any weight, but I can definitely tell that I'm getting stronger
and toning up.

But my mother feels this is still a problem because I'm not losing
weight. Oh boo hoo (with major sarcasm) I know that I'm gaining
muscle, so I'm not really that worried.

About a year or two ago I got so fed up with her lectures and her
mailing me articles on Type 2 diabetes, I finally went to my doctor for
a blood test. The doctor looked at the results during my physical and
said,
"Your blood sugar is 86, and though you are in a high risk group (Asian
and slightly overweight) you are in no danger. So what do I have to

do
to convince you that you don't have type 2 diabetes?"

I said "it's not ME that needs the convincing!!"

My mom doesn't believe me doctor and claims he's not reading the latest
research. So I faxed her a copy of my blood test. That still didn't
shut her up.

I know all about osteoporosis, and yes mom I know I'm getting older you
don't have to remind me!

I'm training a lot as it is, and I feel just fine. Sure I could lose
about 10 pounds, but I'm not going to stress out about it. I have a
LOT more things to worry about, like not getting depressed because I
don't have a boyfriend and its almost February (but that's another
rant)

I think what really ticks me off is no matter what I say to my mother,
she's never going to stop harping on me. *sigh* I could be rich, have
a loving husband, be skinny as a rake and totally happy, and I know she
would STILL find something to rant about. grrrrrrrrrrrr............

Okay, that's enough......breathe breathe breathe........go cuddle a
kitty.....

Kristi

Wow. You're mom is definitely paranoid. You are doing fine. And I certainly
don't think you qualify as "fat". No wonder you like being at school!

Muscular people weigh more muscle weighs more. Female athletes weigh more, but
have little fat.
Suz
Macmoosette

"People that hate cats will come back as mice in their next life."
--Faith Resnick

|\__/|
(=':'=)
(")_(")

Old January 23rd 05, 11:07 PM
Tanada

Mischief wrote:

I don't know what medication she's on, but she's partly the reason why
I'm on antidepressents.

and yes, this is why I decided to move to Los Angeles and why I only go
home 2-3 times a year.

At least she is a bit better now. I don't feel like reaching through
the phone and strangling her........at least not EVERY time........

Okay, gettin worked up again.......must find a kitty to
cuddle.............

Thanks for your support guys.

I must admit, everyone I've told this to agree that my mom is totally
OUT THERE!!!

Kristi

Rob is still laughing at the idea of you being overweight. I understand
bout the anti-depressants. Rob's mom was so out there before Rob and I
got married that I ended up on them until we left Lewiston and moved
away to Kentucky. I ended up in counseling due to parental abuse and
emotional and mental abuse from my idiot half-sister. Relatives are the
main reason cats created themselves, in my opinion.

Pam S.
Old January 24th 05, 01:25 AM
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

Karen Chuplis wrote:

Honestly, if you eat right and exercise, it probably doesn't matter, but so
many thin women subsist on Diet coke and never eat fruits or vegetables, I
think that pumps the statistics sideways. A chiropractor I know found that
his 20 somethings were coming in with bones as brittle as 80 y.o.s because
of diet.

Not to mention the growing numbers of obese teen-agers!
Time was when "getting heavy" was considered a natural part
of the aging process (of course, it's not), and most teens
were reasonably slender. Fat children and teen-aged girls
were the exception, not the rule. But of course, I'm
judging from when I was young - kids didn't have the money
to buy much in the way of snacks to augment our regular
diet. We were expected to eat the lunch we brought from
home, unaugmented by potato chips and other such snacks.
Dinner was a family affair where we were expected to eat
what was put before us..... And of course, after school, we
were usually out doing something active, not watching TV or
"hanging out" in a shopping mall, eating junk food.
"Life-style" DOES make a difference!

Old January 25th 05, 02:13 AM
Stormin Mormon

In the US we have a couple expressions which I'm far too polite to use on an
open forum.

The general direction is that at age 26, your Mom should not be regulating
your life. At some point, you may wish to stop defending your decisions to
your Mom.

"Mom, I really love you, but you raised me to go out into the world and make
it on my own. I think that's my decison to make."

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Mischief" wrote in message
oups.com...
I don't want to go on a huge rant, because for me this is a sensitive
subject since my mom is a personal trainer and is ALWAYS on me about my
weight. But here's my two cents

For the last 2-3 years I have had to listen to my mother, father AND
brother talk about the horrors and dangers of type 2 diabetes and how I

Old January 25th 05, 02:14 AM
Stormin Mormon

Perhaps it is a family tradition. But, sometimes one has to break with
tradition and do one's own choice.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Tanada" wrote in message news:bCFId.4554

WOW, your mom is really out there, isn't she. Can someone slip her a
major dose of valium?

Pam S. with great sympathy

Old January 25th 05, 07:19 PM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2005-01-22, Annie Wxill penned:

Annie Wxill wrote:
Hefty women are less likely than thin women to get osteoporosis.

Really? I would have thought the opposite, since they(we) put more strain
on the skeletal structure.

Evelyn

Weight bearing exercise, such as walking, will help protect against bone
loss. This is what my doctor tells me.

I think the strain on the bones it beneficial, but if you are overweight,
it's probably hard on the ligaments and joints.

I can't explain all the physiology involved, but that's the way it is.

Annie, who is waiting for the results of a bone density scan.

Yup. As I understand it, strain on the skeletal structure is good; strain on
the joints, though ... I can definitely tell that I need to lose a few pounds.
My knees are making that very clear.

--
monique, roommate of Oscar the (female) grouch
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Old January 25th 05, 07:23 PM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2005-01-22, CK penned:

I just did a quick search on Google with the words "osteoporosis likely
obese thin". There is plenty of info on the net on big ppl not getting
osteoporosis as easily as thin ones, but here's one example:

http://www2.netdoctor.co.uk/diseases...teoporosis.htm

QUOTE People with a BMI of 21 or less have a higher rate of bone loss than
those who are heavier, and obese people have lower rates of bone loss than
those who are ideal weight. UNQUOTE

A BMI of 21 is on the low end of normal ... but imo the BMI thing is a copout,
anyway. A bodybuilder will have a high BMI because they have a lot of muscle,
not because they are fat. Percentage of body fat is a much more useful
number, but is harder to measure.

Old January 25th 05, 07:29 PM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2005-01-23, Mischief penned:
I don't want to go on a huge rant, because for me this is a sensitive
subject since my mom is a personal trainer and is ALWAYS on me about my
weight. But here's my two cents

For the last 2-3 years I have had to listen to my mother, father AND brother
talk about the horrors and dangers of type 2 diabetes and how I am at a huge
risk because I'm overweight. Mom and Dad are convinced about the stupid
Body Mass Index and since I'm five feet tall, I should be close to 100
pounds.

I am 26, five feet tall, and currently weigh 137 pounds. Currently I am
doing springboard diving training 5 times a week and some of those days are
double practices(morning and evening). I haven't been really losing any
weight, but I can definitely tell that I'm getting stronger and toning up.

But my mother feels this is still a problem because I'm not losing weight.
Oh boo hoo (with major sarcasm) I know that I'm gaining muscle, so I'm not
really that worried.

[rest of sad story snipped]

If your mother is truly a personal trainer and truly thinks that BMI or
absolute weight are enough to guage fitness, then I hope she finds a new
career. As far as I'm concerned, that's malpractice. The worst is that she's
not only spewing this misinformation to you, she's also apparently doing this
to paying clients! [snip more badmouthing because she is your mother and I
don't want to upset you]

Way too many women run away from healthy exercise regimens because they're
maintaining or gaining weight, even though they are losing inches, have better
tone, and are becoming more fit.

A friend of mine said it best, I think. It really stuck with me. He said,
guaging your fitness by stepping on the scale is like weighing your car to
figure out how much gas is in the tank. The numbers are related, but there
are way too many factors involved for it to be effective.

Old January 25th 05, 07:34 PM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2005-01-22, Cheryl Perkins penned:

There are a lot of factors affecting whether or not any individual will
develop many diseases. Not all skinny women will get osteoporosis, and not
all fat ones will avoid getting it. There are a number of other factors, and
I know the local doctors here like to have all their female patients, fat
and thin, get a bone density scan as soon as they turn fifty. Still, skinny
white women, especially skinny white women with a poor diet lacking in
calcium and vitamins and who don't do weight-bearing exercise, are at the
most risk of osteoporosis. And what seems to be most unfair is that they
really should start building up their bones years and years before they
usually start worrying about them. So the best time to strengthen your bones
is when you are young, strong and think you are immortal anyway, so why
bother?

I'm 27, and I asked about a bone density exam at my last physical. I sweat a
lot and do a lot of exercise that's not weight bearing, like cycling.
Apparently, professional cyclists have awful bone density, and every hour you
sweat intensely, you lose about as much calcium as is present in a cup of
milk. I'm not a pro cyclist, but it was still something to think about.

Anyway, my doctor told me that bone density really isn't a useful number.
Some people naturally have denser bones than others; the question is, at what
rate do they lose that density as they get older? So a test at 50 and again
at 52 is useful. A single test at 27 could only serve to freak me out. All
they can really say is, make sure you get plenty of calcium and do weight
bearing exercise. They can say that without giving me the test.

Old January 26th 05, 12:21 AM
badwilson

"Monique Y. Mudama" wrote in message
On 2005-01-23, Mischief penned:
[...]

Yes, I agree. BMI is way too inaccurate, especially for anyone with
muscles. A personal trainer should know that, but sadly nowadays
anyone can call themselves a personal trainer.
It would be much more useful to go by bodyfat %age, but of course
bodyfat is difficult to measure accurately and cheaply.
--
Britta
Sandpaper kisses, a cuddle and a purr. I have an alarm clock that's