"The Perricone Promise" - OT

Old August 4th 05, 03:08 AM
Howard C. Berkowitz

In article , "Jo Firey"
wrote:

"Howard C. Berkowitz" wrote in message
To get
more specific into things we actually understand, pain, even if blocked
from consciousness but not with full anesthesia, causes the autonomic
system to release inflammatory transmitters called prostaglandins --
which cause more pain. The survival benefit of this seemingly perverse
mechanism appears to be "self-splinting" by forcing one to hold an
injured part rigid.

That is one of the most enlightening things I've read in a long time. As
in
WOW.

It is one of my fond hopes that as new doctors are trained and enter
practice, there will be more and more knowledge of the science (and art)
of pain management. Unfortunately, the understanding of many of the
mechanisms of pain are recent enough that older practicing physicians,
who don't keep up with current research, simply aren't aware of it.

The subspecialty of pain medicine doesn't get the respect it should.
Melzack and Wall, who discovered the fundamental mechanism that causes
people to become aware of pain, as well as many of the secondary effects
of pain transmission, IMNSHO, deserved a Nobel Prize. AFAIK, no pain
researcher has ever been in serious consideration for the Nobel Prize in
Medicine or Physiology.

I have a type of inflammatory arthritis. Now at least I have some
understanding of why I have stiff joints. Not the prostaglandins stuff.
That I knew. But I'd never heard or thought of the concept of "self
splinting".

The particular mechanisms I was talking about is directly associated
with muscle tissue, but I see no reason why a joint inflammation
couldn't cause it. The particular pathway that I was talking about comes
from the "lower" brain in response to pain in soft tissue, but the same
inflammatory substances are released from arthritic joints.

Prostaglandins, incidentally, cause uterine contractions, and they have
been used to induce abortion or labor. By taking a prostaglandin
antagonist before the crampy stage of the menstrual cycle, so there's a
blood level before the prostaglandins hit, often can avoid or minimize
cramps.

So, the muscles around the joint could go into spasm from the same
chemicals, but released from the joint rather than the brain. Ibuprofen,
naproxen, and prescription NSAIDs block the enzymes (COX-1 and COX-2)
that produces these irritants. Aspirin does as well, but has somewhat
different mechanisms.

It turns out, however, that not all the products of the two enzymes are
bad. Some of the products of COX-1 produce the mucus that normally
protects the stomach wall. When you suppress COX-1, you take away
protection from acid, which is why aspirin and NSAIDs upset the stomach.
The newer selective inhibitors of COX-2 only, such as Vioxx and
Celebrex, allow the stomach protection to work normally.

Nothing in pain pharmacology tends to be simple. Some people only get
pain relief from COX-2 inhibitors, enough that the US Food and Drug
Administration approved their being used again, with lots of warning and
cardiac monitoring. We understand why COX-2 inhibitors prevent stomach
upset, but we are not sure why they are especially effective for pain
relief in some, but not all, patients. Like many drugs, there is a
delicate balance between risk and benefit.

Acetaminophen (Tylenol), or paracetamol across the pond, does not block
COX enzymes except in the brain. This is why it has less of a general
anti-inflammatory action than the other drugs. It does block pain,
however, which, in turn, can block the secondary brain-directed release
of prostaglandins in muscle tissue. This may give the effect of
decreasing inflammation, but it's really a matter of preventing
inflammation.
Old August 4th 05, 03:14 AM
Howard C. Berkowitz

In article , "CatNipped"
wrote:

"W. Leong" wrote in message
. ..

"Jo Firey" wrote in message

"CatNipped" wrote in message
Has anyone heard of the above diet book?

I have been researching "holistic" things I could do that might help
me
with
my fibromyalgia. Happens that this guy was on "Oprah" on a show
about
the
new anti-aging technology. He claims that the signs of aging are

caused
buy
inflammation at the cellular level"

Here's an excerpt from chapter one.

"When I wrote The Wrinkle Cure and The Perricone Prescription, I
introduced
the Inflammation-Aging Connection-the concept that inflammation at
the
cellular level is the single most powerful cause of the signs of
aging.
That's not to mention the correlation between inflammation and such
chronic
diseases as arthritis, diabetes, Alzheimer's, cancer, and strokes. "

OK, I don't think a diet is going to make me look like a
30-year-old,

but
the diet itself isn't a "fad one" - not unreasonable restrictions on

fat,
carbs, etc. But if there is *anything* to the food-inflammation
connection,
I got to thinking it might be good, if not for my fibro, then maybe
for
my
degenerative disk disease.

In any case he instructs you to eat plenty of foods high in
anti-oxidants,
avoid sugar, plenty of fresh fruits and veggies, and green tea, so I
figure
it can't hurt.

I ordered the book on Amazon, but was wondering if anyone else had
any
knowledge or experience with this diet.

Hugs,

CatNipped

You aren't going to find a dietary cure. But the things you
mentioned
certainly won't hurt you and should make you feel better.

I just started the sub-lingual B vitamins someone here mentioned.
Way

too
soon to say they are great, but I did get a lot done the last few
days.
Another "can't hurt, might help"

What is sub-lingual B vitamins? What is the difference between it and
'regular'
vitamin B? I have been taking a vitamin B complex pill evey day for

years.

When I had my gastric bypass surgery they told me that I would either
have
to get a B Complex vitamin shot every month or take the sub-lingual B
Complex vitamins every day - so I'm guessing they're equivalent. I've
heard
that B vitamins are hard (or maybe impossible?) to absorb through the
stomach (Howard?).

B12 specifically. For pernicious anemia, which is an inefficiency of the
absorption of B12 (a deficiency in something called "intrinsic factor"),
the first therapy was eating large amounts of raw liver. While that
might be heavenly for a cat, many patients literally preferred to die.
Ironically, the Nobel Prize for the treatment of pernicious anemia was
given for a slightly more palatable liver extract treatment, before B12
was discovered. Therapy next moved to injected B12.

Not all that long ago, it was discovered that even without intrinsic
factor, some B12 is absorbed. Treatment of pernicious anemia moved to
giving massive overdoses of B12, since there are no known negative side
effects to overdoses of any B vitamin except B6. Taking 100mg or so a
day of B1, incidentally, will turn urine bright yellow and give a
"vitamin" smell to your skin -- but that smell is an excellent insect
repellent.

With your reduced stomach area, you probably don't have enough surface
to absorb adequate B12, even if you have normal intrinsic factor.

All I know is that I have *never* had so much energy in my entire life -
not
even when I was a kid (and that's saying something for a person with
ADHD!).
;

BTW, you can get the sublingual B Complex vitamins at Walgreens for about
$5
for a 2 - 3 month supply.

Sublingual drugs pass directly from mouth tissues into the blood, almost
as fast as an injection. Nasal sprays are also becoming more common.
Old August 4th 05, 03:16 AM
Jo Firey

"Jo Firey" wrote in message

"CatNipped" wrote in message
Has anyone heard of the above diet book?

In any case he instructs you to eat plenty of foods high in
anti-oxidants,

avoid sugar, plenty of fresh fruits and veggies, and green tea, so I
figure
it can't hurt.

You aren't going to find a dietary cure. But the things you mentioned
certainly won't hurt you and should make you feel better.

I just started the sub-lingual B vitamins someone here mentioned. Way too
soon to say they are great, but I did get a lot done the last few days.
Another "can't hurt, might help"

I'm managing to avoid sugar. Wish I could kick white flour.

Jo

Vitamin B-12 can be very difficult for many people to absorb. Especially
those with gastric problems or the elderly. Pills don't help, cause they
still can't absorb it that way. I don't know that much about it, but I know
my mom got monthly B-12 shots for years after she retired and swore by them.
So does my sister-in-law who is an RN who specializes in elder care.

Evidently you can absorb it in liquid form under your tongue. I learned
that here from CatNipped. So I got some a few days ago at WalMart and have
been trying it. It's a not unpleasant tasting liquid and you just put a
dropper full under your tongue. Now if I can just get Charlie to try it.

Jo

Old August 4th 05, 03:44 AM
jmcquown

CatNipped wrote:
Has anyone heard of the above diet book?

No, but I know someone whose last name is Perricone and for a minute I
thought maybe you knew her! LOL

Jill

Old August 4th 05, 03:52 AM
W. Leong

Sounds like sub-lingual B vitamins has a faster absorption.
I don't even recall why I started taking B vitmain complex, probably on
recommendation from a doctor. Think I just stick with my garden variety B
complex since I don't have specific needs for it.
Besides, no Walgreen in Catnada.

Winnie

"CatNipped" wrote in message
"W. Leong" wrote in message
. ..

Old August 4th 05, 04:58 AM
badwilson

I haven't heard about this diet specifically, but when Dennis was
still dealing with his back problems, his chiropractor in Bangkok
(excellent guy, from California, best chiro ever) recommended for
Dennis to eat a "low inflammation" diet. He recommended the same
foods you mention and also no caffeine and you should eat half a bag
of frozen soy beans (edamame) per day. Dennis never did it because
he's a coffee addict, but I fell in love with the edamame and still
eat it :-)
--
Britta
"There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast." -- Unknown

Old August 4th 05, 05:03 AM
badwilson

Howard C. Berkowitz wrote:

[...]

A few years ago, I decided to take some B12 supplements. Not the
sublingual ones, just regular pills. Well, after a few days, I broke
out in a nasty itchy rash all over my body. Stopped taking the B12
and the rash went away. Now I just take a regular multivitamin and
everything's ok. Weird.

Old August 4th 05, 06:39 AM
Howard C. Berkowitz

In article , "badwilson"
wrote:

Howard C. Berkowitz wrote:

[...]

Were these white or a clear capsule, or somehow colored? Some dyes used
in medications, especially tartrazine (Yellow #5) can trigger asthmatic
attacks and have allergic sensitivities.
Old August 4th 05, 12:02 PM
badwilson

Howard C. Berkowitz wrote:
In article , "badwilson"
wrote:

Howard C. Berkowitz wrote:

[...]

I don't remember now, it was a few years ago. But I do take a whole
bunch of other vitamins and have never had a problem with anything
other than B12.

Old August 4th 05, 03:09 PM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2005-08-04, Howard C. Berkowitz penned:

Prostaglandins, incidentally, cause uterine contractions, and they
have been used to induce abortion or labor. By taking a
prostaglandin antagonist before the crampy stage of the menstrual
cycle, so there's a blood level before the prostaglandins hit, often
can avoid or minimize cramps.

Er, where did you say I could get this stuff, again?

After years of Depo (no period, so no cramps), cramps are back in my
life, about as welcome as a long-lost creditor.

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully