Do I dare?

Old October 13th 06, 03:32 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown

Default Do I dare?

I just came back from the store and spotted a very pretty cat in front of my
apartment. Long-haired, white with peanut-butter spots. I thought this
must be one of the cats the neighbor across the street lets run loose. It
looked fat and well fed.

EXCEPT... I called the cat over. It's not a feral because it ran over to me
immediately. But this isn't a fat cat, it's just a long-haired cat which
made it look fat. I gave the cat scritches as it wound around my legs. The
cat is skin and bones. There are mats in the long fluffy tail. This cat
hasn't had a home or a good meal in I don't know how long.

Knowing how Persia hates other cats, and knowing I can't afford to take in
and feed another cat, do I dare put out some food for this one? I nearly
started to cry when I felt the bones. This cat is scrawny And not as old
as I first thought, either. I'm guessing maybe 6 months.

So I said what the heck. I have some cat food Persia can't eat anymore
since she's on her prescription food. So I filled a bowl and set it
outside. Maybe the cat will find it, maybe not. I don't see it out there
now. If I could only trap it I'd take it to the nearby no-kill shelter and
hopefully help it find a forever home. Purrs for the little skinny cat,
please.

Jill

Old October 13th 06, 04:14 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Gandalf

On Thu, 12 Oct 2006 21:32:18 -0500, "jmcquown"
wrote:

[...]

Poor kitty. I hope it finds the food you put out, and you can get
him/her to the no kill shelter. Sound like a real sweetheart, and with
some TLC, would be relatively easy to adopt out. I hope so anyway.

Purrs on the way.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

- Robert Heinlein

Life is very difficult. Once you understand that, life becomes easier.
-Buddha

Old October 13th 06, 04:28 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Pat

"jmcquown" wrote

So I said what the heck. I have some cat food Persia can't eat anymore
since she's on her prescription food. So I filled a bowl and set it
outside. Maybe the cat will find it, maybe not. I don't see it out there
now. If I could only trap it I'd take it to the nearby no-kill shelter
and
hopefully help it find a forever home. Purrs for the little skinny cat,
please.

I'd go out and look for the cat with an open can of tuna!

Old October 13th 06, 04:45 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Mischief

I remember when i saw Mischief drinking out of the apartment swimming
pool and how she rubbed against me.

And despite the fact that I already had Imp, I let her in and fed her.

Then I remember seeing Mayhem on the wall outside my apartment building
and thought, "What the heck, I'll give her a little bit of food"

And despite that I had Mischief AND Imp, i took her in too.

STAY STRONG JILL!!!! DON'T GIVE IN!!!!!!!!

hehehe, a little bit of food wouldn't hurt. But plan for Persia trying
to tell you that there's an INTRUDER in the yard!!!

Kristi

Old October 13th 06, 04:54 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

jmcquown wrote:
Knowing how Persia hates other cats, and knowing I can't afford to take in
and feed another cat, do I dare put out some food for this one? I nearly
started to cry when I felt the bones. This cat is scrawny And not as old
as I first thought, either. I'm guessing maybe 6 months.

So I said what the heck. I have some cat food Persia can't eat anymore
since she's on her prescription food. So I filled a bowl and set it
outside. Maybe the cat will find it, maybe not. I don't see it out there
now. If I could only trap it I'd take it to the nearby no-kill shelter and
hopefully help it find a forever home. Purrs for the little skinny cat,
please.

Jill

Oh, Jill, of *course* you must feed it at the least. That's a given. To
me, there is absolutely no question about it. Persia will get over it.
Maybe you can feed her somewhere that Persia can't see? Poor little
thing, and I remember you said that cold weather has set in now. She
won't be able to handle the cold very well if she's malnourished. I
hope you can catch her & take her to the shelter. Good luck.

Sherry

Old October 13th 06, 05:13 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Dewi

Oh absolutely! Feed her and if you can't adopt her, send her to the
no-kill shelter. I'd go out and find her ASAP (assuming it is safe to
do so). Why not help out and let this cat have a happy ending.

If she's friendly pop her into a cat carrier. That's what I did when I
rescued Trixie. Within one hour of meeting her I'd gotten her to trust
me, fed her and quickly stuffed her into the carrier. She's re-homed
with my parents now and is very happy.

Dewi.

Old October 13th 06, 05:18 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Marina

jmcquown wrote:

So I said what the heck. I have some cat food Persia can't eat anymore
since she's on her prescription food. So I filled a bowl and set it
outside. Maybe the cat will find it, maybe not. I don't see it out there
now. If I could only trap it I'd take it to the nearby no-kill shelter and
hopefully help it find a forever home. Purrs for the little skinny cat,
please.

Poor little one. Many purrs that you manage to trap her (?).

Old October 13th 06, 05:32 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Takayuki

"jmcquown" wrote:
[...]

Poor little cat! It sounds like love, and fate. Not necessarily to
take her in, but to help her. She sounds very darling. Since she's
so tame, she'll probably be easy to catch, if she remembers to come
back to where she got lovins.

Old October 13th 06, 05:36 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Pat

"Takayuki" wrote

she'll probably be easy to catch, if she remembers to come
back to where she got lovins.

Or if Jill goes out and walks around with an open can of tuna....

Old October 13th 06, 06:23 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
rrb

jmcquown wrote:

So I filled a bowl and set it outside. Maybe the cat will find it, maybe not.

Perhaps you can set a bowl of food out while the cat is outside and make
sure you are seen doing it. I bet once you go inside the cat will eat
eventually. Purrs for the little one, and for Persia's frayed nerves if
they should become that way.