Cruel Clever Cat:

Old April 23rd 05, 03:02 AM
Jo Firey

Default Cruel Clever Cat:

Cruel Clever Cat:

Sally, having swallowed cheese,
Directs down holes the scented breeze,
Enticing thus with baited breath
Nice mice to an untimely death.

first published in 1933 in a limited edition of Geoffrey Taylor's poems
entitled A Dash of Garlic.]

Old April 23rd 05, 04:35 AM
Kreisleriana

On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 19:02:58 -0700, "Jo Firey"
yodeled:

Cruel Clever Cat:

Sally, having swallowed cheese,
Directs down holes the scented breeze,
Enticing thus with baited breath
Nice mice to an untimely death.

first published in 1933 in a limited edition of Geoffrey Taylor's poems
entitled A Dash of Garlic.]

This is for the poetry thread!!!

Theresa
Old April 23rd 05, 06:51 AM
Mary

"Jo Firey" wrote in message

Cruel Clever Cat:

Sally, having swallowed cheese,
Directs down holes the scented breeze,
Enticing thus with baited breath
Nice mice to an untimely death.

first published in 1933 in a limited edition of Geoffrey Taylor's poems
entitled A Dash of Garlic.]

I knew the attribution for Cheryl's signature was wrong.
W. C. Fields was not the type to say this. Thanks!

Old April 23rd 05, 06:08 PM
Cheryl

On Fri 22 Apr 2005 10:02:58p, Jo Firey wrote in
rec.pets.cats.anecdotes ):

Cruel Clever Cat:

Sally, having swallowed cheese,
Directs down holes the scented breeze,
Enticing thus with baited breath
Nice mice to an untimely death.

first published in 1933 in a limited edition of Geoffrey
Taylor's poems entitled A Dash of Garlic.]

Hey! That looks very similar to the quote in my sig line. I have a
desktop box calendar on my desk at work with pictures of cats and
quotes, and one day in Feb. featured the quote below and it stuck
in my mind how "clever" it was. Thanks for posting the whole poem.

--
Cheryl

"The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited
breath."
- W.C. Fields
Old April 23rd 05, 06:26 PM
Enfilade

"Jo Firey" wrote in message ...
Cruel Clever Cat:

Sally, having swallowed cheese,
Directs down holes the scented breeze,
Enticing thus with baited breath
Nice mice to an untimely death.

first published in 1933 in a limited edition of Geoffrey Taylor's poems
entitled A Dash of Garlic.]

Funny, I thought Smokey cried for cheese because he was a glutton. Wow.

--Fil
Old April 23rd 05, 06:59 PM

Mary wrote:
"Jo Firey" wrote in message

Cruel Clever Cat:

Sally, having swallowed cheese,
Directs down holes the scented breeze,
Enticing thus with baited breath
Nice mice to an untimely death.

first published in 1933 in a limited edition of Geoffrey Taylor's

poems
entitled A Dash of Garlic.]

I knew the attribution for Cheryl's signature was wrong.
W. C. Fields was not the type to say this. Thanks!

How did you know it was wrong? I'd seen the quote before--not sure but
I believe it was in the book "The Quotable Feline". I checked google,
it seems that quote is attributed to him all over the place.
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&l...d+&btnG=Search

Sherry

Clever Cats Mary Cat anecdotes 8 March 13th 05 06:36 PM
A HOUSE CAT - CRUEL OR KIND? the dog from that film you saw Cats - misc 9 December 20th 04 03:14 PM
Cruel Vet S S Cat health & behaviour 150 October 15th 04 01:38 AM
Is this cruel or what? jmcquown Cat anecdotes 59 January 3rd 04 04:44 AM
Very clever cat wafflyDIRTYcatLITTERhcsBOX Cat anecdotes 3 October 7th 03 09:27 PM