KFC latest news: The Groom-a-thon :-) this might be long..

Old August 14th 08, 10:47 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

Default KFC latest news: The Groom-a-thon :-) this might be long..

"Debbie Wilson" wrote in message
Christina Websell wrote:

That's what I'll get then if I decide to go ahead. We'd both prefer to
avoid it - well, all three of us actually but it's probably necessary.
She
doesn't smell, her rear end is clean (always was) but her fur is dull,
greasy and scurfy. She already seems more perky now she is groomed out,
think a one off bath would make her even more happy.

I'm sure she will feel even better if you do manage to bathe her. Maybe
she will even decide to groom herself a bit more, after you've got rid
of the worst of it! :-)

(snip)
I guess she'll just have to trust us to do the best for her.
This will take the form of the thousand teeth and the million claws that
appear whenever I pick her up and she suspects "something is going to be
done to me."

I have a similar cat, Cocoa (Helen M knows what she's like). She
sprouts several extra limbs and rows of teeth if a vists to TED is ever
needed.

g I wish they would realise it is for their own good.
I was not able to find a baby shampoo free of every perfume. I got the
Johnson's Baby "anti-tangle" one today, best I could do.
KFC might have to agree to be slightly perfumed if June & I decide to bath
her - and I think we will. It will not be easy, but grooming her wasn't
either.
She so needs a bath ( and I do not normally agree with bathing cats)
The girl is old and has forgotten how to groom except for her feet,

One day next week, KFC will have a bath, and June and myself will get
slashed about it, but we don't care. Kitty will be beautiful again.

Old August 15th 08, 04:13 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Christina Websell wrote:

[...]

slashed about it, but we don't care. *Kitty will be beautiful again.- Hide quoted text -

Christina, you may have missed my post about why you should NOT use
human shampoo on animals. Here is more info:

"Shampoo for animals (such as for dogs or cats) should be formulated
especially for them, as their skin has fewer cell layers than human
skin. Cats' skin is 2-3 cell layers thick, while dogs' skin is 3-5
layers. Human skin, by contrast, is 10-15 cell layers thick. This is a
clear example of why one should never use even something as mild as
baby shampoo on a cat, dog, or other pet.

Shampoo intended for animals may contain insecticides or other
medications for treatment of skin conditions or parasite infestations
such as fleas or mange. These must never be used on humans. It is
equally important to note that while some human shampoos may be
harmful when used on animals, any haircare products that contain
active ingredients/drugs (such as zinc in antidandruff shampoos) are
potentially toxic when ingested by animals. Special care must be taken
not to use those products on pets. Cats are at particular risk due to
their instinctive method of grooming their fur with their tongues."

'

Old August 15th 08, 03:09 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Debbie Wilson

wrote:

[...]

'Tripsovercats',

I am not questioning the correctness of the above facts, but please cite
your source for this info - thanks.

I stand by the advice I gave, as an experienced cat fosterer of 12
years, in the light of the fact that (1) in the past I have used a small
amount of Johnson's mild, unperfumed, alcohol-free baby shampoo for many
weeks on a foster kitten who was brain-damaged and needed to be washed
regularly. She was absolutely fine with no ill-effects whatsoever and
still is to this day (several years later) and (2) the exact reasons in
your first paragraph above were those given to me by a vet as to why you
should never use dog shampoo on a cat, plus cats are sensitive to some
ingredients that do not affect dogs - certain essential oils, for one,
and without knowing the dog shampoo brand that Tweed was planning to use
it is impossible to say if it's OK or not. Which is why I made a
specific recommendation for the shampoo I successfully used myself.

Deb.
--
http://www.scientific-art.com

Old August 15th 08, 05:47 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

On Aug 15, 9:09*am, (Debbie Wilson) wrote:
wrote:
[...]

A quick search provided the entry from Wikipedia. There are plenty
more.
From the LA SPCA: " Human shampoo is not made for dogs and cats; it
can be harmful to their skin, drying it out and destroying their
natural oils. "

From Drs. Foster and Smith: "Always use a shampoo formulated for dogs.
Human shampoos have a different pH level and often use harsher
detergents than pet shampoos. You can do more damage than good if you
use a human shampoo on pets"

I stand by the advice I gave, as an experienced cat fosterer of 12
years, in the light of the fact that (1) in the past I have used a small
amount of Johnson's mild, unperfumed, alcohol-free baby shampoo for many
weeks on a foster kitten who was brain-damaged and needed to be washed
regularly. She was absolutely fine with no ill-effects whatsoever and
still is to this day (several years later)

Glad it worked out OK in that instance, but giving advice based on one
experience is invalid, especially when it is a given that human
shampoo should not be used on cats. I work as a vet tech for a
veterinarian (I've been in the field for over 20 years) and we NEVER
advise the use of human shampoo of any kind, no matter how mild it may
be. It is still innappropriate for animals. It is very easy to obtain
appropriate shampoos made specifically for dogs and cats, so there is
no reason to recommend a human shampoo, especially when the subject it
will be used on has been sick and debilitated. It is not a responsible
thing to do.

Old August 15th 08, 06:46 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Debbie Wilson

wrote:

so there is
no reason to recommend a human shampoo, especially when the subject it
will be used on has been sick and debilitated. It is not a responsible
thing to do.

Nor is recommending using a dog shampoo on such a cat!

FWIW, my advice was not based on one experience, but also on advice
given by fellow fosterers and a vet friend over several years, and I was
NOT recommending any old human shampoo but one *specific* type and brand
that I *know* to be safe, and an economical and easily-obtained
alternative to a costly cat shampoo. I would NEVER make any
recommendation about which I was not certain from my own knowledge would
be quite safe for a cat and I resent that fact that you suggest I would
be reckless in that respect.

Deb.
--
http://www.scientific-art.com

Old August 15th 08, 06:57 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Matthew[_3_]

Deb pay no mind to this poster he has ended up in many of the groups kill
file for just the thing that he did to you.

He has a lot of information about cats but lacks the skills to deal with
people almost arrogant to a point.

Old August 15th 08, 06:57 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

On Aug 15, 12:46*pm, (Debbie Wilson) wrote:
wrote:
so there is
no reason to recommend a human shampoo, especially when the subject it
will be used on has been sick and debilitated. It is not a responsible
thing to do.

Nor is recommending using a dog shampoo on such a cat!

I was very specific that it not be a flea shampoo. Please read and
comprehend.

FWIW, my advice was not based on one experience, but also on advice
given by fellow fosterers and a vet friend over several years, and I was
NOT recommending any old human shampoo but one *specific* type and brand
that I *know* to be safe, and an economical and easily-obtained
alternative to a costly cat shampoo.

And if you read her recent response, she purchased a shampoo that is
not appropriate for her cat and you said nothing. This is what she
said:

"I was not able to find a baby shampoo free of every perfume. I got
the
Johnson's Baby "anti-tangle" one today, best I could do."

This is another reason why you should not recommend human products.
More often than not the "specific" recommendation given is
misconstrued, disregarded or ignored and another product that seems
similar is purchased, even though it is not appropriate at all. So now
the cat will be bathed in perfume and an "anti-tangle" ingredient that
no doubt will leave a residue on the fur and be licked off by an
elderly cat that is just recovering from a serious medical condition.
Old August 15th 08, 07:23 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Debbie Wilson

Matthew wrote:

Deb pay no mind to this poster he has ended up in many of the groups kill
file for just the thing that he did to you.

He has a lot of information about cats but lacks the skills to deal with
people almost arrogant to a point.

Thanks Matthew, I agree.

Deb.
--
http://www.scientific-art.com

Old August 15th 08, 07:23 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Debbie Wilson

wrote:

I was very specific that it not be a flea shampoo. Please read and
comprehend.

Please do not patronise me. I saw exactly what you wrote, but I do not
think you should be recommending *any* dog shampoo for use on a cat at
all, flea type or not, and I've already given reasons why.

And if you read her recent response, she purchased a shampoo that is
not appropriate for her cat and you said nothing.

I saw that too, and I said nothing because I then checked the
ingredients of that one against the one I recommended on the Johnson's
website, and the listed ingredients are identical.

I have written my considered opinion several times now and will not be
repeating it again. Tweed is an intelligent woman and can make her own
decisions on how to care for KFC based on this thread, I am sure.

Deb.
--
http://www.scientific-art.com

Old August 16th 08, 05:56 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

On Aug 15, 1:23*pm, (Debbie Wilson) wrote:
wrote:
I was very specific that it not be a flea shampoo. Please read and
comprehend.

Please do not patronise me. I saw exactly what you wrote, but I do not
think you should be recommending *any* dog shampoo for use on a cat at
all, flea type or not, and I've already given reasons why.

The shampoo I recommended is formulated for use in dogs and cats:
http://www.petco.com/product/7128/To...-Dry-Skin.aspx

And if you read her recent response, she purchased a shampoo that is
not appropriate for her cat and you said nothing.

I saw that too, and I said nothing because I then checked the
ingredients of that one against the one I recommended on the Johnson's
website, and the listed ingredients are identical.

And yet you are still recommending the use of a human product that is
not for use on animals (for reasons stated not just by me, but by
several sources) despite the fact that there are plenty of better
options. It's not like she lives in BFE and does not have access to a
pet store. She's taken her cat to the vet and no doubt could obtain
an appropriate shampoo from the clinic. She obviously has internet
access and could order something online as well.

I have written my considered opinion several times now and will not be
repeating it again. Tweed is an intelligent woman and can make her own
decisions on how to care for KFC based on this thread, I am sure.

Well, I hope she is intelliegent enough to go with accurate
information that has been backed up by several sources as opposed to
listening to someone who insists in recommending a product that is not
meant to be used on animals and can be irritating.