KFC latest news: The Groom-a-thon :-) this might be long..

Old August 19th 08, 12:01 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
moonglow minnow

Default KFC latest news: The Groom-a-thon :-) this might be long..

Christina Websell wrote:
"hopitus" wrote in message

I urge multiple hoomins in

No multiple hoomins available, just us two brave souls..

Tweed

Since it is going to be just the two of you with such a spirited lady,
have you looked into the availability of a 'waterless' shampoo or
bathing wipes? It may be a good option for her (no need to be immersed
in water) and you (more likely to keep your blood on the inside) both,
if it's available. I use bathing wipes myself when Mischief needs a
clean up now, and he tolerates their use fairly well. Mischief is the
cat who bit me to the bone the last time I tried to bathe him in water.

Maeve ^..^
--
http://moonglowminnow.wordpress.com/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/minnow/
Old August 19th 08, 12:11 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
moonglow minnow

Christina Websell wrote:

So, if we decide to go ahead with it, is there anyone on here who has bathed
an ex-feral old lady with a foul temper and lived to tell the tale? If so,
please share your tips.

From my own experiences with our ex-feral young man who flips out when
restrained...

If you can avoid immersion in water or running water, do so. For grease
accumulation, dry baths with baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) have been
known to work in cats and animals as delicate as rabbits. Simply rub it
in to the oily spots and brush out. If you must use soap and water, I'd
advise using dampened wash cloths, first with soapy water then with at
least two rinses of clean water. She'll still get wet, but she may not
react as badly as if you immersed her in a basin of water.

Good luck, and be brave.

Maeve ^..^
Old August 19th 08, 12:19 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"moonglow minnow" wrote in message
Christina Websell wrote:
"hopitus" wrote in message

I urge multiple hoomins in

No multiple hoomins available, just us two brave souls..

Tweed

Since it is going to be just the two of you with such a spirited lady,
have you looked into the availability of a 'waterless' shampoo or bathing
wipes? It may be a good option for her (no need to be immersed in water)
and you (more likely to keep your blood on the inside) both, if it's
available. I use bathing wipes myself when Mischief needs a clean up now,
and he tolerates their use fairly well. Mischief is the cat who bit me to
the bone the last time I tried to bathe him in water.

Are you British?

we do not seem to get the same stuff that is available in America.

Old August 19th 08, 12:51 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Christina Websell wrote:
"hopitus" wrote in message

I urge multiple hoomins in

No multiple hoomins available, just us two brave souls..

Tweed

Since it is going to be just the two of you with such a spirited lady,
have you looked into the availability of a 'waterless' shampoo or bathing
wipes? It may be a good option for her (no need to be immersed in water)
and you (more likely to keep your blood on the inside) both, if it's
available. I use bathing wipes myself when Mischief needs a clean up now,
and he tolerates their use fairly well. Mischief is the cat who bit me to
the bone the last time I tried to bathe him in water.

Are you British?

we do not seem to get the same stuff that is available in America.- Hide quoted text -

Christina,
This product would work perfectly for what you need and you can order
it online:
http://www.pets2home.co.uk/item--Wah...s--570129.html
Old August 19th 08, 12:54 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
moonglow minnow

Christina Websell wrote:
"moonglow minnow" wrote

Since it is going to be just the two of you with such a spirited lady,
have you looked into the availability of a 'waterless' shampoo or bathing
wipes? It may be a good option for her (no need to be immersed in water)
and you (more likely to keep your blood on the inside) both, if it's
available. I use bathing wipes myself when Mischief needs a clean up now,
and he tolerates their use fairly well. Mischief is the cat who bit me to
the bone the last time I tried to bathe him in water.

Are you British?

we do not seem to get the same stuff that is available in America.

Which makes it tricky when an old lady cat who has never needed a bath
before in her life needs one.

A possible (soap free) alternative could be baking soda (sodium
bicarbonate) dissolved in warm water applied sparingly (with a petting
sort of motion) with a wash cloth. I haven't tried this particular
variation on cats before, but the baking soda is safe, and it works on
grease as well as urine spots on rabbits, who are a bit more sensitive
to bathing than cats are. A baking soda dry bath mentioned elsewhere in
the thread could be another option. I've also successfully used
fragrance free (not unscented) baby wipes on sensitive critters, but I
don't know how well it would take care of grease.

Just tossing options out, not sure how many stay valid across the pond.

Maeve ^..^
Old August 19th 08, 01:17 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_2_]

"hopitus" wrote in message
On Aug 18, 12:10 pm, "CatNipped" wrote:
wrote in message

On Aug 18, 12:48 pm, "CatNipped" wrote:
FTR, I didn't say you posted it *to* Tweed, just that you posted it.

The implication was clear and you knew exactly what you were doing.
It's well known that you misrepresent, overinflate and exaggerate and
have been doing so for years. I've witnessed your behavior many times.

You remind me a lot of "Megan" who used to post here and on rpch+b.

Tail Twitches,

CatNipped

I must've been working on graveyard shift during the Megan Era but
from
what I heard it was pretty funny. I gather Megan was a fanatic of
some
sort...now, 'Nipped, this person here is not a fanatic at all like I
heard
about Megan; this one is hell-bent to educate and does not take
criticism "gladly" - two
bad personality traits IMHO. She/he is not a fool. Devil's Advocate
post.

No, that really wasn't what I meant. Megan was *extremely* knowledgeable
about cats and their health issues. The problem was that she was *so*
acerbic that quite a few people wouldn't take her good advice! No, I don't
think "tripsovercats" is a fool or foolish, just that she can't let go of an
argument (but I've learned my lesson recently and now *I* can! ;). I
don't like to see anyone with a good cause sabotage themselves with stubborn
pride (and, yes, mea culpa).

Attention Tweed:
Now hopitus has one piece of advice for *you*, and it is not about
shampoo.
Do NOT attempt to bathe KFC alone!!!! When back in FL I used to bathe
and flea-dip my cats (no longer necessary, thank Bast) it took myself,
and the combined efforts of "holding" (or "restraining" if you will)
of two sons for one
of the cats, the others were more docile. We *all* got scratches from
hell and were happy it only had to be done about once a month or so.
You, I think, said you have never bathed KFC and no matter how old she
is, you dont't know what she will do. I urge multiple hoomins in on
this.

Agreed on all counts! KFC still has a *LOT* of fight in her for an older
gal!

Nose Kisses,

CatNipped

Old August 19th 08, 01:28 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_2_]

"Christina Websell" wrote in message

"Sherry" wrote in message
On Aug 18, 9:53?am, "CatNipped" wrote:

Any arguing beyond this point is simply an "I'm right and you're wrong"
name-calling marathon.

Tail Twitches,

CatNipped

That was my thought also.
My second thought was that "I'm bored" is a lame excuse to start, or
continue
a name-calling marathon in an otherwise usually pleasant newsgroup.
Especially
when arguing appeared to offend their sensibilities terribly not too
long ago.

Bottom line is, Tweed's a smart cookie and will always do what's best,
given her
circumstances and choices.

Well, thank you, Sherry, and you are right, I will. It's not very common
in Britain to bath cats, so there were no cat shampoos at my vet's
surgery, nor at the 2 pet shops I visited to look for some. I don't live
in a town so ther isn't a Petsmart on my doorstep either.
Kitty Farmcat is/was going to have a one-off bath- the first and only time
in her life - to improve the effect of the Groom-a-thon, to make her feel
fresher and better since she is doing so well.
It may not go ahead anyway if I decide that what June & I have done
already is enough. However, if it we are brave enough to do it (me
really..) I will be certain to check with my vet that the shampoo that is
very safe for babies I have bought is safe for her. As if I wouldn't, eh?
I hope that allays any fears anyone might have that I will be using a
shampoo that would harm her because I am too idiotic to realise that there
are special cat shampoos of which there are none near here. Zilch, zero.
No cat shampoos perhaps within 50 miles.

So, if we decide to go ahead with it, is there anyone on here who has
bathed an ex-feral old lady with a foul temper and lived to tell the tale?
If so, please share your tips.
The towel twisted round her neck was good for grooming. I don't think it
will work in water..

Tweed

Here's some things I've heard...

First fill several gallon jugs with water. Then put a grill (if you have
one) on the bottom of the sink so they can get a grip and don't feel all
slippery - which helps panic them. If you don't have a grill use a folded
towel. Don't run the water in the faucet, just pour it gently from the jug,
shampoo and rinse.

If June can manage it, have her "scruff" KFC (it helps to gently "shake" the
scruff of the neck continuously, not just hold it - this mimics a mother
cat's walking with her kittens in her mouth, it produces endorphins in the
cat's brain which helps calm them). If *at all* possible (and I know it
might not be in the realm of possibility with KFC), clip her claws first to
reduce the likelihood of being slashed. And most important, have everything
set up beforehand and do the deed as quickly as humanly possible! ;

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old August 19th 08, 01:52 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL

"Christina Websell" wrote in message

I know a bath will be difficult for KittyFC. I haven't made my mind up
whether to go ahead with it or not.
On the one hand she needs one, on the other hand do I need to put her
through it at her age when I know she will hate it?
Does it matter if her fur is greasy? It doesn't seem to bother her, so
should I worry about it more than she does?

Tweed

Baking soda can be brushed through a cat's fur to absorb grease. You would
want to brush it out thoroughly, and I know that can be difficult with KFC
(but probably not as difficult as a bath).

MaryL

Old August 19th 08, 02:21 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sherry

On Aug 18, 7:52�pm, "MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER
wrote:
"Christina Websell" wrote in message

I know a bath will be difficult for KittyFC. �I haven't made my mind up
whether to go ahead with it or not.
On the one hand she needs one, on the other hand do I need to put her
through it at her age when I know she will hate it?
Does it matter if her fur is greasy? �It doesn't seem to bother her, so
should I worry about it more than she does?

Tweed

Baking soda can be brushed through a cat's fur to absorb grease. �You would
want to brush it out thoroughly, and I know that can be difficult with KFC
(but probably not as difficult as a bath).

MaryL

I remember at a cat show, one of the exhibitor had a cat with stud
tail, and she put corn starch on
it, and brushed it out before show time to get rid of the excess oil.
I am not recommending this, but
I do wonder if it would work as a dry shampoo. I've also heard rubbing
cornstarch into a mat helps
to brush it out. Or would you just end up with a cat with dirty fur
that was full of cornstarch. :-) I'd
think that baking soda or cornstarch would be such a fine powder it
would be hard to brush out.
I tried a foam-type dry shampoo for cats once, and it was horrible.
The cat's fur looked worse than it did
before.

Sherry
Old August 19th 08, 05:10 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL

"hopitus" wrote in message
On Aug 18, 6:52 pm, "MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER
wrote:
"Christina Websell" wrote in message

I know a bath will be difficult for KittyFC. I haven't made my mind up
whether to go ahead with it or not.
On the one hand she needs one, on the other hand do I need to put her
through it at her age when I know she will hate it?
Does it matter if her fur is greasy? It doesn't seem to bother her, so
should I worry about it more than she does?

Tweed

Baking soda can be brushed through a cat's fur to absorb grease. You
would
want to brush it out thoroughly, and I know that can be difficult with
KFC
(but probably not as difficult as a bath).

MaryL

This sounds really stupid, Tweed, but I googled something that has
been in
my memory for years....years ago - and I mean really years ago - my
mother
used to clean her fox fur wrap by brushing plain cornmeal through it.
I googled
cornmeal as fur degreaser and got lots of links thereto. I don't go
for fur except
fake (got lots of that since coming here) but what do you think of
that idea?
Guess you'd need a good strong brush but not irritating to KFC.

Yes, my understanding is that cornmeal and baking soda (or corn starch) do
essentially the same thing. Corn meal is more coarse, so it is easier to
brush out but also may not be as absorbent.

MaryL