Looking for broad-spectrum flea/parasite treatment food additive

Old November 5th 09, 02:47 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,alt.pets.cats
Cat Guy

Default Looking for broad-spectrum flea/parasite treatment food additive

Spider wrote:

I am in the UK and use an on-line animal medication service.

(...)

I guess I was wrong in thinking that there are readers here who actually
care enough for their cats to give them these prevantative treatments,
at least to the extent that they actually know the names of these
treatments and what they prevent.

Except for Mike (thanks for identifying "Progam" as one such treatment.
I'll look into it).

For some treatments, you will need a prescription;

I was not looking for a way to get these treatments.

I was looking for just their IDENTITY. Their TRADE or BRAND NAMES.

Once I know THEIR NAMES I can go to my vet and ask for them.

Vets don't always know THE NAMES of ALL THE DRUGS AND TREATMENTS that
are out there.
Old November 5th 09, 03:48 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,alt.pets.cats
jmc

Suddenly, without warning, Cat Guy exclaimed (11/4/2009 8:58 PM):
Why can't I just get an answer to these simple questions:

1) what is eqivalent to Revolution, but in oral form?

2) is it true that Revolution is not effective against ticks?

1) I don't think there is one, or my vet would have recommended it for
my cat, who doesn't handle any topical well. She's currently on
Revolution, which only bothers her for a short time (Frontline freaked
her out for hours).

2) Ticks are not on Revolution's list:

* Kills adult fleas (Ctenocephalides felis) and prevents flea eggs
from hatching.
* Prevents heartworm disease caused by Dirofilaria immitis.
* Treats and controls ear mites (Otodectes cynotis).
* Treats and controls roundworms (Toxocara cati) and hookworms
(Ancylostoma tubaeforme).

Afraid you'll need something else to work against ticks. My cat is
indoors or on a deck, so ticks aren't an issue.

FWIW, my understanding from this board is it isn't always effective
against ear mites - or at least, not against an active population -
might be more effective against them taking hold in the first place.

jmc
Old November 5th 09, 03:56 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,alt.pets.cats
jmc

Suddenly, without warning, Cat Guy exclaimed (11/5/2009 8:47 AM):
Spider wrote:

I am in the UK and use an on-line animal medication service.

(...)

I guess I was wrong in thinking that there are readers here who actually
care enough for their cats to give them these prevantative treatments,
at least to the extent that they actually know the names of these
treatments and what they prevent.

Except for Mike (thanks for identifying "Progam" as one such treatment.
I'll look into it).

For some treatments, you will need a prescription;

I was not looking for a way to get these treatments.

I was looking for just their IDENTITY. Their TRADE or BRAND NAMES.

Once I know THEIR NAMES I can go to my vet and ask for them.

Vets don't always know THE NAMES of ALL THE DRUGS AND TREATMENTS that
are out there.

Yes, but vets can look them up. They do have books, and resources that
we non-vets do not have access to. Have you talked to yours? Did you
try Google or your favorite search engine? I did, and came up with
nothing on an oral Revolution, but something on Program.

Program is an "oral suspension". I think that means you still have to
drop it in their mouth, rather than their food. It also does not treat
ticks.

Please don't accuse us of not caring for our cats when it's simply that
we don't know the answer, which with the experience of some here,
probably means what you are looking for doesn't exist.

jmc
Old November 5th 09, 05:08 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,alt.pets.cats
cybercat

"Cat Guy" wrote in message ...
cyberpurrs wrote:

Why can't I just get an answer to these simple questions:

1) what is eqivalent to Revolution, but in oral form?

2) is it true that Revolution is not effective against ticks?

Because you are asking these questions in Usenet instead of at the
vet you STUPID MOTHER****ER.

Is there a rule that says that internet users can't be intelligent and
have the answers to those questions you ****ing asswipe?

Anything else I can help you with?

Yea. You can **** off and die you piece of horse ****.

Do you feel better now? If you want to help the cats, take them to a vet.

Old November 5th 09, 05:08 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,alt.pets.cats
cybercat

"Cat Guy" wrote in message ...
Spider wrote:

I am in the UK and use an on-line animal medication service.

(...)

I guess I was wrong in thinking that there are readers here who actually
care enough for their cats to give them these prevantative treatments,

We care enough to get them vet care, asshole.

Old November 5th 09, 08:20 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,alt.pets.cats
FirstHit

Spider wrote:

I am in the UK and use an on-line animal medication service.

*(...)

[...]

You can mix it with their food. This is the first product that came
out that you give to a cat once a month to prevent fleas. It is
highly effective and probably safer than the other things on the
market (like Advantage, Frontline, etc). The negatives are (1) it
does not work on anything but fleas; (2) It does not kill fleas; it
disables their eggs, so if you already have a flea infestation, it
will take a few months before you are flea-free. My experience with
Program, back when Program was the only product on the market, was
that it does indeed eradicate fleas, but like I said, it takes a
number of months.

FirstHit
Old November 5th 09, 11:15 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,alt.pets.cats
jmc

Suddenly, without warning, FirstHit exclaimed (11/5/2009 2:20 PM):

Spider wrote:
[...]

Given that, I'd not think it'd work well for a feral, since he'd be
constantly in contact with new flea sources. Sounds like it's a good
product for an indoor-only cat.

jmc

Old November 6th 09, 05:29 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,alt.pets.cats
Bill Graham

"Cat Guy" wrote in message ...
Why can't I just get an answer to these simple questions:

1) what is eqivalent to Revolution, but in oral form?

2) is it true that Revolution is not effective against ticks?

I don't know.....What's, "Revolution"?
Old November 6th 09, 02:44 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,alt.pets.cats
Cat Guy

Bill Graham wrote:

1) what is eqivalent to Revolution, but in oral form?

2) is it true that Revolution is not effective against ticks?

I don't know.....What's, "Revolution"?

The point of my questions was not to prompt more questions from those
that can't answer them.

But since you asked...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Revolution_(pet_medicine)

Pfizer does list it as being effective against "certain types of ticks"
in dogs.

The active ingredient is Selamectin:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Selamectin

"Selamectin fights both internal and surface parasitic infection.
Absorbed into the body through the skin and hair follicles, it
travels through the bloodstream, intestines, and sebaceous glands;
parasites ingest the drug when they feed on the animal's blood."

Many web sources say that Selamectin is either (a) effective against
ticks, or (b) effective against some ticks, or (c) effective against
some ticks in dogs. This page:

http://petproducts.suite101.com/arti..._dogs_and_cats

Says that it's effective only against one type of tick (Dermacentor
variabilis) in dogs.

It's quite possible that Selamectin (Revolution) is effective for cats
against ticks - it's just that unless or until the manufacturer (Pfizer)
does the tests and makes the appropriate submission to the FDA, Pfizer
can't claim it's effective against ticks or put that wording on the
label.

It's my observation that most pet medications are tested and applied for
acreditation with the FDA in conjunction with their use on dogs, because
people seem to spend more on health care for dogs vs cats (more total
dollars spent on dogs that is). I think that's why there are more
canine medications that are used off-label for cats (sometimes
experimentally) rather than the other way around.